SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico Demands U.S. Allow More Immigration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Mexico Demands U.S. Allow More Immigration Reply with quote

Quote:
Diplomats from Mexico and Central America on Monday demanded guest worker programs and the legalization of undocumented migrants in the United States, while criticizing a U.S. proposal for tougher border enforcement.

read more of the article at http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/10/D8F1LRCO5.html

These people are really something else. How can they possibly DEMAND that we let in more immigrants?
As I think back on this I come to the realization that this is all Sam Houston's fault.
If he hadn't been so generous with Santa Anna after the Battle of San Jacinto (Apr. 21, 1836) then we wouldn't have a Mexican immigration problem. His mistake was only wanting freedom for Texas. By allowing Santa Anna to keep the rest of Mexico he planted the seeds of today's problems instead of having Mexico be part of Texas.
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexico Demands U.S. Allow More Immigration Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Quote:
Diplomats from Mexico and Central America on Monday demanded guest worker programs and the legalization of undocumented migrants in the United States, while criticizing a U.S. proposal for tougher border enforcement.

read more of the article at http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/10/D8F1LRCO5.html

These people are really something else. How can they possibly DEMAND that we let in more immigrants?
As I think back on this I come to the realization that this is all Sam Houston's fault.
If he hadn't been so generous with Santa Anna after the Battle of San Jacinto (Apr. 21, 1836) then we wouldn't have a Mexican immigration problem. His mistake was only wanting freedom for Texas. By allowing Santa Anna to keep the rest of Mexico he planted the seeds of today's problems instead of having Mexico be part of Texas.

Right On.
I had a second generation California mexican tell me,"Mexico would be better off today if the US had taken all of it". Adding to this problem are the multitude of Spanish named US cities in the west and southwest .

Have the Mexicans forgot we won that war!!!!!
sdmoel
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Arizona Proposes $100M Immigration Plan Reply with quote

Let's go AZ!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060110/ap_on_re_us/arizona_immigration

Arizona Proposes $100M Immigration Plan By JACQUES BILLEAUD, Associated Press Writer
Tue Jan 10, 12:06 AM ET

PHOENIX - Gov. Janet Napolitano on Monday proposed spending $100 million in state money to fight illegal immigration, including a crackdown on businesses that intentionally hire illegal immigrants.

Napolitano also is asking the federal government to pay for more National Guard troops along the state's porous border with Mexico.

"We are going to step up and protect our citizens when the federal government fails them — but this is a federal problem, and we expect the federal government to do its part," Napolitano told lawmakers on the opening day of the Legislature.

It was not immediately clear how much the added troops would cost the military. A Defense Department spokesman declined to comment on the status of the state's request.

Arizona, the busiest illegal entry point along the country's southern border, serves as a hub for smugglers who transport illegal workers across the country.

Even though immigrants provide the economy with cheap labor, Arizona and other border states shoulder huge health care and education costs for illegal workers and their families.

Public pressure is mounting for state politicians who face re-election races this year to confront the problem, even though immigration has long been considered the sole province of the federal government.

The state already has about 170 National Guard troops stationed at the border, assisting federal and state officers.

Napolitano provided few details of her other immigration plans, but proposed "substantial fines and penalties" for businesses that intentionally hire illegal immigrants.

Thousands gathered Monday outside the Capitol to protest what they said was an anti-immigrant sentiment at the Legislature, which last year considered two dozen immigration proposals. Only a few became law.

Elias Bermudez, chief organizer of the protest, said putting more money into border enforcement won't fix the problem, which he believes can be overhauled only by the federal government.

"Our people are not going through the fences (at the border) because they don't want to come here legally," Bermudez said. "They are going through the fences because this country doesn't have the law that allows them to come through the port of entry."
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING -- RANT TO FOLLOW

Buffalo Jack you can't blame Sam. Like as well blame Winfield Scott. He conquered Mexico City and should have kept it. They weren't so poor then. Instead we paid them for the Southwest and gave the rest back. Apparently no one knew what they were saying and territorial aggrandisement wasn't the real objective. Then again nobody in the North was going to allow all that territory added south of the Missouri Compromise. Such is history. Today, Mexico would do better to surrender sovereignty than population. Statehood requires preconditions among them popular government and 'law and order' and that would be 'common law' not some bastardization of the Napoleonic Code.

Arizona is a long strange story. The state once lived by the 3 Cs: cotton. copper and cattle. The Arizona Rangers were founded to surpress Wobblys and Mexicans. Barry Goldwater had 6000 illegals living in cardboard to weed cotton and pick citrus (He "Never met a man worth a $1.25." with reason). The resort industry cooked meals, washed dishes, turned and cleaned beds, mowed the golf courses and added 'local color' with illegals that were turned over to Immigration each year at the end of season. Two tiered pay scales and dispensation for sub-minimum wages were standard.

Today the 3 Cs are dead and tourism is failing. Still, labor intensive industries depend on illegal labor. Transitory trailer trash from thoughout the US fills some gaps (when they show up) but the Mexican dependency remains. No street is laid, no house is built without....you're not allowed to ask.

Funny. Mexico could never overcome the Apaches and held Tucson teniously. The great silver, gold and copper deposits were known but unattainable because of the Apache threat. Today, any illegal 'with child' this side of the border has all pre-natal care paid for by the state to provide her with citizenship and provide the rest of us with anomy.

For Arizona to close the border is for Arizona to cut its throat. I'l believe it when I see it. Last year Napolitano was working for DLs for illegals.

On the otherhand Mexicans are superior workers and less a drag on the society than the AFL-CIO I knew back east in my youth. You just have to know some spanish.

RANT COMPLETE

I don't know the answer. I'm open to anything other than knee-jerk.

-Wlm Shakespeare
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico by any measure should be one of the wealthiest nations on Earth, consider:
1) two coastlines with great ports, even closer together than the United States
2) vast mineral wealth; silver, gold, oil
3) vast agricultural wealth; produces corn, fruits, beans, the blue agave, ect.
4) a young population
5) tremendous vacation/tourist assests- historical, beaches, mountains

yet Mexico a third world country while the USA with assests no greater is a Superpower. So the question is WHY? In a word, FREEDOM. The freedom to be the best you can be. Sadly in Mexico, who you are born to is the be all end all of your lot in life with very very few exceptions. Born into wealth, good for you, born into poverty, s***s to be you. Had I been born in Mexico, I would of remained poor, mostly un-educated, no doubt about it. Happily (Thank you Jesus!) I was born in the USA of hispanic decent and took advatage of all the opportunites to better myself and consequently enjoy the fruits of my labors.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paraphrasing I B Squidly, 'cause it needs be repeated:

Quote:
...Mexicans are superior workers and less a drag on the society than the AFL-CIO ...

13 years ago, I replaced my own roof (with a lot of help from 3 generous sons). Last month some highly qualified south of the border professionals did an outstanding job literally upgrading my roof beyond code...eager to please...exquisite in detail, etc, etc, etc. Of course, the contractor had all permits (I didn't the last time), his license,etc, so I'm certain no illegals.

Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: