SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eric Hoffer on the Current Day Left

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Eric Hoffer on the Current Day Left Reply with quote

Just started reading this book and it is the first one for me to read by this author. In the first chapter called On Nature and Human Nature he has many short 'truisms' or what I would like to call Proverbs on steroids.
Think of what absolutes Conservatives hold dear such as compassion is good and murder is evil, whereas the left holds absolute the woman's right to 'choose'.

Quote:
Free men are aware of the imperfections inherent in human affairs, and they are willing to fight and die for that which is not perfect. They know that basic human problems can have no final solutions, that our freedom, justice, equality, and so on are far from absolute, that the good life is compounded of half measures, compromises, lesser evils, and gropings toward the perfect. The rejection of approximations and the insistence on absolutes are the manifestations of a nihilism that loathes freedom, tolerance, and equality.

Eric Hoffer, 'Between The Devil and the Dragon' p.11

Chew on this quote while watching the Left and in particular the treatment given in Alito's confirmation hearings.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo!

I used that exact quote in an ongoing argument with a local talking head. He was anti-Iraq because it wasn't a perfect war. Iraq could never be a perfect democracy and of course niether was America.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: