SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I met a World War II Vet today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonhyo
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: I met a World War II Vet today Reply with quote

I was at the grocery store today and I saw this elderly gentleman wearing a WWII hat. At first I walked past him, not wanting to intrude on his privacy, but then I found myself walking up to him and thanking him for his service, and told him what a pleasure it was to meet someone who served in WWII. He was the kindest person, and very shy about accepting my thanks. Well, we ended up talking for about 30 minutes, he ended up giving me his phone number and address, he lives about 5 minutes away. He joined the Air Force after Pearl Harbor, his brother was a doctor at Pearl Harbor, and his other brother served somewhere else. What a family!!! He married his wife (now deceased) on D Day and then he served in Europe, Africa and many other places. I can't tell you what a joy it was talking to this Veteran. I hope it won't be intruding if I do contact him and continue our conversation. His children all live on the East and West Coasts. Before we ended our conversation, he asked if he could give me a hug, can you imagine, I can't tell you how honored I was. I was too embarassed to ask him if I could hug him. What a fantastic day!
As we were parting, there was a lady at the end of the aisle, and she said, she didn't mean to listen to our conversation, but she couldn't help it, being that close. It turns out she was 8 years old at the time of WWII, ended coming to America and now lives here for the past 30 years. Her opinion on the Iraq war was totally different than the Veteran, she thought we should mind our own business and take care of our own. She also said that she still collects a pension from the Army, apparently her husband worked with our Army and was wounded. Amazing, that two people had such different views on the Iraq war. I wonder how she would have felt then if we just minded our own business then.
Sorry I have gone on and on, but you can't imagine how honored I was with this gentle giant. Do you think I should contact him again, or would that be pushy?
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he would not doubt appreciate it. I make a point of thanking all fellow vets, especially WWII. They truly appreciate it.

My dad was a B-24 pilot and POW in WWII and spent 23 years in the AF. We miss him. His ball turret gunner from the B-24 crew is now an "old friend". We have a connection you can't explain though I've only known him for 12 years now.

Last edited by GM Strong on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are also a dying breed, over a 1,000 per day as records show.

I had the chance in DC when the WW11 Memorial was dedicated in 04. Three of us were walking around at 11pm and there was still many vets milling around the Memorial. We walked up to as many as we could and thanked them and talked to them. This was while we were wearing our"Swiftboat Veterans against John Kerry" shirts. Many of the WW11 vets are Democrats because they grew up under Roosevelt and Truman. But they were nice to us.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Yep. Reply with quote

Yep, please contact him again and thank him for me. All they did back then was save the world.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about all the WWII vets I've known have passed on. One, a waist gunner on a B17 still comes down here every year at this time to visit my neighbor, to eat my grapefruit and escape the Kansas winter. After the war he spent his career as an engineer on the CB&Q. He's a pro-union, lunch pail demo that wears FDR on his sleeve. Neither I nor his son-in-law have been able to disabuse him on the current state of his party nor the unsuitability of Kerry. But, that's his right. I still enjoy the chats.

-Wlm Shakespeare
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been real privileged to get to meet a whole lot of WWII and Korean vets in the last few months since I've been going to the V.A. Hospital in Houston for cancer treatments. I am continously amazed at their stories of courage and sacrifice.
I could sit around the lobby of the hospital for the rest of my life and not be bored for a second. A gold mine of heros just sitting around down there trading war stories back and forth.
I ride a shuttle bus for two hrs. each way with several of them every day and that is one enlightening ride I can tell you.
My hat's off to all the Vets out there who have fought an served their country especially in times of war. Just incredible sacrifice they have made so we can live free.
Thanks guys.

Dusty
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father in law is a veteran of WWII and Korea and is still alive. I make a point of thanking him whenever I see him. He is in poor health and has diabetes and cancer and they have amputated parts of his feet, but he is in good spirits. As he lives in CA I only see him once a year or so, but I email him 2 or 3 times a week. After 22.5 yrs in the Army he spent 9 yrs as a US Marshall hauling prisoners then became a federal investigator in the trucking industry retiring with 42 yrs government service. I have enormous respect for this man, but he is a lifelong democrat and thinks we should not be in Iraq. I disagree with him, but also respect his opinion.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:

I had the chance in DC when the WW11 Memorial was dedicated in 04. Three of us were walking around at 11pm and there was still many vets milling around the Memorial. We walked up to as many as we could and thanked them and talked to them. This was while we were wearing our"Swiftboat Veterans against John Kerry" shirts. Many of the WW11 vets are Democrats because they grew up under Roosevelt and Truman. But they were nice to us.

Terry,
They may be Democrats, but I'd be wiling to bet most are also America loving Conservatives as well. Just because someone is a Democrat doesn't mean they're from the Loony Left. The WWII Vets did save the world. They did their part and thank god there are still some Americans willing to fight for our Freedoms.
Jack
GM Strong

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Political affiliations aside, many who are finding anyone interested in their experiences are much more open to talk about it if anyone is interested. Most I have talked to now think instead of "forgetting" it is time to remember so the new generations will know what happened and their friends will not be forgotten. They are very humble about it and frequently emotional about things they have never forgotten and need to be telling about. We are indebted to them.
wonhyo
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Thanks for giving me such good advice Reply with quote

Thanks for all your responses. I just didn't want to be pushy, but I thouroughly enjoyed talking with him and he seemed thrilled that someone wanted to listen. I figure I can only learn from someone who has lived so much.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
mtboone wrote:

Terry,
They may be Democrats, but I'd be wiling to bet most are also America loving Conservatives as well. Just because someone is a Democrat doesn't mean they're from the Loony Left. The WWII Vets did save the world. They did their part and thank god there are still some Americans willing to fight for our Freedoms.
Jack

As I said, "They were nice", I was just trying to explain how they lived and grew up, under Great Democratic Presidents that made history. It was not anything against their political beliefs and represent it with the Democrats of today.

We had great converastions with them and nothing was hostile. I think you read too much into my post and politics were not involved in our discussion.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonyho,

My father's brother-in-law escaped Poland in '39. He served in the British merchant marine until he converted to the US. A boiler tech he had little to say about his runs to Murmansk. He remained a vulgar, illiterate boor who beat his children (who turned out well)....yet you could not be but humble in his presence.

-Wlm Shakespeare
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Terry, if I misread your intent. You are one of the more responsible posters on this site and your words and thoughts are a valuable contribution to the integrity of the SwiftVets.
Jack
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:

All of my WWII Uncles(Navy-Pacific) and Dad(army air corps pilot)are dead now. These people are virtually holding the USA together in the face of MSM,professors and leftist elitists. Most of southern Dems I know do not like liberals,MSM or John Fraud Kerry.
I also speak to everyone with pro-american,pro-military and anti-left stmts--sutle as I can make them not to offend.

Can we blame them: misinformed by hollywierd,MSM and the 'leftiest' culture.
Want to make a good communist-----put the individual on a diet of only communist literature.

Thank goodness for websites like this.......keeping the american people informed with balanced news,that is, CENTER RIGHT. Who needs more of moveon.org, MSM,etc.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Last edited by gmez2001 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my granddad (mom's side of the family) this year, he was in the mighty 9th Air Force during WWII as a crewman on the twin engine attack bombers, one of the medals that he was awarded during his service was for bombing, and sinking, a german U-Boat while in the B-18 Bolo.

If there was a twin engine bomber - he flew in it.

I was close to him, and he must have known he didnt have much time left because he started relating all his old war stories to me, becuase he knew that "You'll remember."

My other grandfather on dad's side is still alive, and was a Marine in the pacific theatre, from Guadalcanal to Iwo Jima, if there was a festering hellzone in the Pacific then he fought there.

And then there my great uncle, Ernest Childers, first american indian to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor while serving in Italy, leading a squad of men against German machinegun nests, one of which he tricked the mens out of by throwing a rock at them.

of course, 'no one throws rocks anymore' as he put it, and the Germans thought he was chucking a grenade into the nest and promptly got the hell out, and got shot for it.

Suckers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: