SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jimmy Carters son running for US Senate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Jimmy Carters son running for US Senate Reply with quote

Quote:
CARSON CITY, Feb. 6 — Democrat Jack Carter, 58, the son of former President Jimmy Carter formally announced a run for the U.S. Senate Monday in his first bid for elected office.
With his parents sharing a stage in the Nevada capital, Carter invoked many of the same themes his father used to rise from relative obscurity to win the Democratic nomination in 1976 and go on to become president.
''All we need is a return to our core American values and new leadership,''Carter said as his father smiled broadly and applauded with a receptive crowd of several hundred people. He criticized the Bush administration's invasion of Iraq as well as its domestic spying and drug prescription programs.

Seems to me, it's been Conservatives desparately trying to return America to it's "core values" held since it's founding and being denigrated the last 30 years by the left.

Carter Runs for Senate

Just what the country needs, another Carter. Rolling Eyes

If we look back we can trace nearly all the troubles in the country today right back to the failed Presidency of Jimmy Carter. The Iran Hostage crisis, where he failed to support the Shah of Iran and allowed radical Islamists to enslave that country, Amnesty for Draft Dodgers, making them out to be the heroes and villanizing those of us who served in Viet Nam, giving away the Panama Canal, deep cuts in defense, boycotting the Olympics in response to the Soviet Unions invasion of Aghanistan, brother Billy's relations with Lybia, double digit inflation, and more.

Quote:
''He knows what he is doing. The second thing I know about Jack is that he will never lie to anybody,'' [Jimmy Carter] said, echoing a promise of his own campaign for president 30 years ago.

If son echo's Dad, I pity Nevada should he win.
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Senator Ensign is ok for his seat. I think this is actually a trial ballon to get Jack's name in front of lots of Nevadans using federal campaign dollars so that he can "drop out" when his party instead calls him to run for Governor. The Democrats here desperately want the Governor's job back, as Nevada is so backward we only have representation every two years (they only meet for 3 months every other year), this gives the Governor lots more control over things.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meeting only every other year is a very forward thinking and advanced concept.
It stifles the creation of career politicians and puts government back in the hands of the voters.
States like New York, where the elected officials meet perpetually is the worst thing that can happen.
These politicians are forever looking to the next election to keep their jobs. They will sell their votes to anyone who will help them stay in office. If they are in session they will create stuff to vote on whether it is needed or not. This is how the North Eastern states got in the financial mess they are all in. Rather than creating needed legislation they create endless bills that need paying for. We then are forced to live with thousands of unfunded (read locally taxed and funded) mandates.
I'd trade the perpetual politician for the part-timer any day.
I only wish that the New York legislature met every other year for 3 months.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USAFE5 wrote:
.....Nevada is so backward we only have representation every two years (they only meet for 3 months every other year), this gives the Governor lots more control over things.

I wish the Alabama Legislature met that infrequently. It would severely limit the damage they could do to an already backward state that is consistently 49th or 50th in anything worthwhile.

Our son works for the State of Nevada in Carson City and finds that the present schedule of legislative sessions makes for a good level of stability.

I hope Ensign survives the challenge from the Carter machine. When does Reid's term end?

Schadow
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that tree stands upon a mighty hill and when the apple fell it not only rolled down the hill but kept rolling, rolling and rolling. Of course, this is very doubtful.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
I hope that tree stands upon a mighty hill and when the apple fell it not only rolled down the hill but kept rolling, rolling and rolling. Of course, this is very doubtful.

How many hills are there in Plains Georgia? If flopped where it dropped.

Put the big "L" on his forehead.

Last edited by mtboone on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
GM Strong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carter name has no political pull. If you drive through Plains too fast around the bend in the road, you missed it (I've done that). Jack should find a better way to satisfy his ambitions. Jack Who???
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I thought he were Linda's son, I might vote for him.

MegaDitto's on the every-two-years bit. That's sort of what Wyoming does. That place is heaven to live in, in many ways.
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only problem is we are too close to California and the idiocy is rubbing off. Our state legislature is composed of mostly government employees, and they tend to double dip. They take sick days from one job and work at the other and then wonder why people are angry. One city council person was using his city cell to run his legislative campaign. And guess who paid the bill???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: