SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight 93 - the movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Flight 93 - the movie Reply with quote

re a movie about to be released about Flight 93

From a post on FReeRepublic by a FReeper who is the son of one of the passengers on Flight 93

FR post by
Chris Driscoll
Son of Patrick "Joe" Driscoll, Flight 93
Quote:
I have not seen the movie yet but I expect they'll have a private screening for the families very soon. Universal has been tremendous with communicating with the families throughout the production. I've gotten in touch w/ the lad who plays my father - Michael Reynolds...he live is England. I have a feeling you're not going to get some Hollywood-whitewashed version. They seemed to be VERY careful about depicting things as they saw them happening - which is why the families were so cooperative in putting this film together.

Also - I found out some news about United 93 that Freepers will be happy about. I can't let the cat out of the bag as Universal will be making a press release very soon...but I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

Chris

A trailor for the movie is here
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10006172-flight_93/

If anyone hears the news that Chris refers to, let us know..
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

followup...

this link has a different trailor for the film
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/united93/index.html

Also, at this link “A Look Inside" has a conversation with the director, and comments by some family members of Flight 93 passengers -- bless them

the director seems genuinely sensitive to the families' feelings

never forget
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate,

Been reading some lefty blogs and the general 'group think' is how dare they come out with a movie so soon after 9/11 about 9/11.

Goebbels 10 cent captain crunch decoder ring translation: The movie must portray Americans in a positive light and terrorists in an unfavorable light.

My outlook is if the leftists are pissed off about this movie and making their rounds to make it look bad, this will probably be the biggest hit of 2006.

Yes, I am making a prediction. Flight 93 will be the highest grossing film of 2006. A Passion of the Christ mega sleeper and the leftists will be scratching their heads followed by sucking their thumbs.

People say Titanic was hugely successful because of the romance and Leo factor, yet Leo made 'The Beach' 6 months afterwards and it bombed at the box office. For a star so formidable to not be able to rescue a poor film such as the Beach so soon after the movie industries greatest money maker is testament to what really made Titanic successful.

Titanic was successful because it was honest of what happened and showed not only the low aspects of human nature, yet also showed the noble acts of people with virtue who died with dignity.

When I think of that movie what is remembered is the piano player continuing to play to keep calm, knowing fully his fate.

Everyone knew the fate of the Titanic and everyone knows the fate of flight 93, but we all want to be reminded of courage and acts of virtue. We all want to think of ourselves as being able to respond in the same fashion or be reassured there are amongst us those who are stronger and able to carry our weak burdens upon their shoulders.

It gives us hope, peace of mind and for this reason it will be a huge blockbuster.

Disclaimer: If the movie portrays the terrorists in a positive light then my above post does not apply.
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love you disclaimer, Genrxr.

You should run for political office. You support the Swift Boat Vets and have a way with words. What more could we ask?
GenrXr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:
Love you disclaimer, Genrxr.

You should run for political office. You support the Swift Boat Vets and have a way with words. What more could we ask?

Thanks for the kind words, yet all you have to do is ask #1 whether I have the temperment of a politician and he would explain the number of posts for which I have been deservedly reprimanded. Smile

Edit: Added 'the' before kind, removed 'for' after reprimanded and changed hehe to a smiley face.

Last edited by GenrXr on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:33 am; edited 2 times in total
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr said
Quote:
Yes, I am making a prediction. Flight 93 will be the highest grossing film of 2006. A Passion of the Christ mega sleeper and the leftists will be scratching their heads followed by sucking their thumbs.

I like that prediction, GenrXr
Appropriately, it will premiere to open the NY Film Festival!

REUTERS
Quote:
September 11 plane drama to open NY film festival
By Claudia Parsons
Wed Mar 29, 5:29 PM ET

"United 93," a film dramatization of the events on the hijacked plane that crashed in Pennsylvania on September 11, will have its world premiere at a New York film festival next month.

"'United 93' recreates the doomed trip in actual time, from takeoff to hijacking to the realization by those onboard that their plane was part of a coordinated attack unfolding on the ground beneath them," organizers of the Tribeca Film Festival said on Wednesday.

The festival was founded by actor Robert De Niro in 2002 to help revitalize lower Manhattan after the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center.

Opening films in previous years have been comedies such as "About a Boy" and "Down with Love" as well as the thriller "The Interpreter" last year. This year's choice of "United 93" as the opening film returns the focus to Tribeca's roots.

"The festival was basically created eight months after September 11 and it was to give our neighborhood something to look forward to and to help the renewal, and to do that you need to laugh," the festival's co-founder Jane Rosenthal told Reuters.

"We found ourselves for several years saying we need a comedy. In year five, we need to remember," she said.

Written and directed by Paul Greengrass, director of "The Bourne Supremacy," the film is billed as a drama about the passengers, crew, their families on the ground and the flight controllers who watched as events unfold on the fourth airline hijacked on September 11, 2001.

Two of the planes crashed into the World Trade Center and the third into the Pentagon. Passengers on the fourth plane sent messages to loved ones saying the plane had been hijacked and they were going to try to overcome the hijackers.

Rosenthal said that after nearly five years there was a danger the events of September 11 were fading from people's memories. "A lot has happened in the world and as a country we seem to have a short term memory loss," she said.

Some of the relatives of those who died on United 93 are expected to attend the premiere in New York on April 25, the first night of the festival which runs until May 7.

"It is never easy to relive the events of 9/11, yet I support 'United 93' as a tribute to the heroism of my brother and the 39 other passengers and crew who collectively chose to say 'no' on that fateful day," Gordon Felt, who lost his brother Edward on September 11, said in a statement.

The films in competition at the festival include several with political themes, particularly related to the Middle East and the war in Iraq.

"We're a festival that was started because of an act of war, so we have always had films and panel discussions that bring up difficult subjects," Rosenthal said.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MSM begins its assault upon Flight 93.

Newsweek,

Quote:
When the trailer played before "Inside Man" last week at the famed Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, audience members began calling out, "Too soon!" In New York City, where 9/11 remains an open wound, the response was even more dramatic. The AMC Loews theater on Manhattan's Upper West Side took the rare step of pulling the trailer from its screens after several complaints. "One lady was crying," says one of the theater's managers, Kevin Adjodha. "She was saying we shouldn't have [played the trailer]. That this was wrong ... I don't think people are ready for this."

Notice the locations for disapproval? Hollywood and Manhattan are hardly conservative strongholds and I for one do not believe New Yorkers have any more right to 9/11 sentiment than any other American citizen, this includes the victims families. This was an act of war against all of us and any positive portrayal of people who acted in just cause against the enemy should be put on screen for all to see.

The full out MSM assault upon this movie will only strengthen its box office. People are not as dumb as the elitists who are shaping this propoganda campaign believe them to be.

They will have trouble with this little bit of fact.

Quote:
Writer-director Paul Greengrass ("The Bourne Supremacy") has gone to great lengths to be respectful in his depiction of what occurred, proceeding with the film only after securing the approval of every victim's family. "Was I surprised at the unanimity? Yes. Very. Usually there are one or two families who are more reluctant," Greengrass writes in an e-mail.

Ouch. Why would every family sign onto this horribe movie which assaults our tender sensibilities in such a profund way? Read my previous post for the answer. The Islamofascists may have already achieved Dhimmitude over the populations of New York and California as evidenced by their support of Dhimmi Kerry during wartime, yet for most of the rest of America the war is very real and a struggle of Good versus Evil which must be won at all costs.

Cannot wait to see Flight 93. Sooner the better!
susanlprince
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not too soon.

I hope it's not too late.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

susanlprince wrote:
It's not too soon.

Now there are some poignant words if there ever were any.

Dusty
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

susanlprince wrote:
It's not too soon.

Since GenXr won't run for political office, perhaps you should, susanlprince.

Those ten words were the Gettysburg Address of 2006.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to purchase it the day it is released.
susanlprince
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:
susanlprince wrote:
It's not too soon.

Since GenXr won't run for political office, perhaps you should, susanlprince.

Those ten words were the Gettysburg Address of 2006.

LOL Thanks for the compliments people, but you won't see me running for any office. I'd be a horrible politician!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
margie
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

susanlprince wrote:
It's not too soon.

amen Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: