SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gore flies Over The Kuckoo's Nest again - and crashes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Gore flies Over The Kuckoo's Nest again - and crashes Reply with quote

The highlights of Gore's recent rant session can be found Here. Quoting the New York Daily News summary:

Quote:
Warning that Bush and the Republican Congress have displayed "a blinding lack of awareness" about "the worst catastrophe in the history of human civilization" — global warming — Gore also blames the incumbent for ignoring the threat of 9/11.

I emphasize the "global warming" bit to point out an excellent recent article on the subject of warming in general and polar icecap melting which not only Gore worries about but also Kerry ("My God, Boston and New York will soon be under water!")

There is a scientific paper, scholarly but very readable, which opens with:

Quote:
"What If All the Ice Melts? Myths and Realities"

by Wm. Robert Johnston
last updated 29 December 2005

"If we keep using cars, the ice caps will melt and we'll all drown!" This is a myth, just as false as fearing the Sun will die as a result of using solar power. However, as often as I hear it--particularly from people who should know better--I thought I would address it here. First, here is a summary of the facts:

* Despite what you may have been told, it has NOT been proven that human-caused global warming is occurring, and in fact there is substantial reason to reject such claims.

* The best explanation for the evidence is that whatever global warming trend exists is mostly the result of natural influences like variations in the climate system and variations in solar radiation.

* The suggestions that human activities will cause significant changes in global temperature and sea level in the next century are flawed predictions which haven't been confirmed by observations.

* The solutions to this apparently non-existent problem proposed by environmentalists would not have a significant effect on climate, but they would cause a significant amount of human suffering.

* Based on what we know now, in the next 100 years a rise in sea level of 0.1 meters (4 inches) would not be surprising; those predicting changes of 0.5-2 meters (1.5-7 feet) are using flawed models.

* If all the icecaps in the world were to melt, sea level would rise about 60-75 meters (200-250 feet). This could not result from modern human activities, and from any realistic cause would take thousands of years to occur."

Johnston provides maps of what the world would look like with a 60-75 meter rise in sea level, which would take thousands of years to happen. Among the maps is this one depicting the United States (sorry, Florida):

Please take a few minutes to read the entire paper. It's Here. There's lots of detail about where the world's ice is located and how stable it really is.

When one gets an appreciation for the real world of climate change, the utterings or, rather, screams of Al Gore ("Bush and the Republican Congress have displayed "a blinding lack of awareness" about "the worst catastrophe in the history of human civilization"), the only conclusion is that either Gore is a blatant liar or certifiably insane - probably both.

Schadow
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gore flies Over The Kuckoo's Nest again

and he always looks so very un-presidential when he rants and raves.....
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When one gets an appreciation for the real world of climate change, the utterings or, rather, screams of Al Gore ("Bush and the Republican Congress have displayed "a blinding lack of awareness" about "the worst catastrophe in the history of human civilization"), the only conclusion is that either Gore is a blatant liar or certifiably insane - probably both.

I vote for both.

Dusty
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I'm glad ggod old Indiana is at 800' elevation!
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a rise of 250 feet, I would have water front property here in Oregon. Anyone want to buy it before the price goes higher?
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why are we rebuilding the levees in New Orleans? Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: