SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pelosi takes impeachment 'off the table'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Pelosi takes impeachment 'off the table' Reply with quote

San Fran Nan reportedly has announced that she will not allow impeachment hearings to take place should Dems take over the House in the next congress.

She could be, 1) lying or, 2) getting vibes that impeachment talk is beginning to awaken the Republican base - a fearsome prospect for Dems.

The source was a brief mention on Brit Hume's show this afternoon. Plus, "Salon" has an article on it but I won't register there to read it. Some lib readers' responses are carried Here. They are not happy campers.Laughing

Schadow
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote: 1)
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
My vote: 1)

I tend to agree. If the Dems do take the House (God forbid) all bets are off and she will unleash Conyers in a blink of her poorly contact-lensed eye.

Let's say the worst happens and impeachment proceedings start in the House Judiciary Committee. It's easy to lie back and take comfort in our knowledge that Bush has committed no high crimes or misdemeanors. That would not make any difference. The committee need only vote articles out regardless of legal opinion just because they can.

With Clinton, the fact that he lied before a federal prosecutor was common knowledge and, in fact, he did commit a high crime despite the Dem argument that it was only about sex. The Dems would charge Bush with wiretapping of "the American People", in their minds a high crime even if it isn't. The Republicans would cite all the settled law on the subject showing that no crime was committed, but the Dems would just vote that it was. Done. No appeal. If the full House concurs, Bush gets at least an asterisk.

If the Dems take the Senate, a trial would take place. As far as I can tell, the Chief Justice, presiding over the trial, has no say as to the legitimacy of the charges. He just sits there and reads stuff that the parliamentarian hands him. Voting en bloc, as the Dems always do, the President could be fired. Democrat non-justice would have been served.

This may be far-fetched but nonetheless is a haunting prospect and all the stops must be pulled to deny a Democrat takeover of the House this November.

Schadow
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree ...#1

she is just trying not to spook any moderates right now ,that might vote Dem in the elections

Conyers hasn't backed off
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
If the Dems take the Senate, a trial would take place.

If my memory serves me correctly, once an article(s) of impeachment is voted out of the house, a trial WILL take place regardless of Senate composition...no?

Frankly, this impeachment talk is just too hypothetical at this point for me to even dwell on it. There's a relative political eternity to pass through before Nov '06 and I'm not nearly as resigned to concession of the house as many appear to be...and, FWIW, I vote for BOTH. Wink
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't Dick Cheney by President if "they" get rid of Dubya??

Lock & load Twisted Evil
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
If my memory serves me correctly, once an article(s) of impeachment is voted out of the house, a trial WILL take place regardless of Senate composition...no?

Some things I've read use the word "may". Of course, if Dems control the Senate, they "will". In any case, since conviction takes two-thirds of senators present, a conviction is highly unlikely with a Senate closely balanced.

The thing that really gets to me is the disregard for settled law that is possible and probable in any present-day impeachment process. Reading the deliberations of the Founders over the issue of impeachment, it's pretty obvious that they naively believed that, of course, laws applicable to the charges would be respected. Not so in today's corrosive climate.

Schadow
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wouldn't Dick Cheney by President if "they" get rid of Dubya??

um, yes, and then Nancy Pelosi is ONE HEARTBEAT away from the presidency. Can you imagine her as president?

I think it is WAAAAAAAYYYY past time we had a constitutional amendment that a sitting president must have a mesurable IQ higher than the average walnut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least that would exclude Dear-in-the-headlights Nancy and Boxer (Moonbat, CA)

Evil or Very Mad
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, make that Deer-in-the-headlights.

Embarassed
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ya'll will notice, Pelosi gets that 'deer in the headlights'.....'eyes glazed over' look every time she is telling a lie. Which is almost all the time her gums are flapping.
Somebody sure needs to stuff a dirty sock in her mouth and pop a piece of duct tape over it.
That is one evil woman right there.

Dusty
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy's Deer in the Headlights appearence is a function of poor surgery. I take heart that after she told Russert that Bush is a liar, Cheny is a criminal, and the Republican Congressional leadership is corrupt that the Democrats seek 'civil discourse'.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the laws regarding Presidential succession? Could another vice president be selected if the current one ascends to the Presidency?

Of course, all of this speculation is nonsense. The Democrats' intention is to use the issue for political fodder for 2008, not actually get rid of the sitting President. George Bush has committed no crimes.

And call me sexist, but "dear in the headlights" works just fine for me Very Happy
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:
What are the laws regarding Presidential succession? Could another vice president be selected if the current one ascends to the Presidency?

Of course, all of this speculation is nonsense. The Democrats' intention is to use the issue for political fodder for 2008, not actually get rid of the sitting President. George Bush has committed no crimes.

And call me sexist, but "dear in the headlights" works just fine for me Very Happy

Under the terms of the 25th Amendment.
In the death or removal of a President, the VP becomes the president and can then appoint a new VP to take his place. Anytime there is a VP vacancy the President can appoint a new one. When Agnew stepped down Nixon appointed Ford, Nixon the stepped down and Gerry became president.
If something, God forbid, were to happen to GWB then Cheney would be president. He would then be within his rights to appoint Ollie North or Donald Rumsfeld as VP. How do you think the Liberals would react then?
The only shot Nancy has would be the simultaneous demise of the Pres and VP. Not likely!!!
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice to Dick Cheney in the extremely unlikely event George Bush is impeached is to appoint Ann Coulter Vice President. Even the Democrats would protect him from any chance of harm.

Condi Rice/Ann Coulter - 2008
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:
....George Bush has committed no crimes.

This is true, but in the feeding frenzy surrounding an impeachment action, the laws mean nothing and there are no appeals. In Clinton, it was clearly obvious that he lied under oath. But in the Senate voting, the Dems voted 100% 'nay' on all four Articles. The Republicans voted variously on the Articles, showing at least some regard for the weight of evidence against Clinton. The outcome was certain due to the two-thirds rule but any semblance of serving justice played no role.

I believe the Democrats would try impeachment, even with no hope of conviction or removal, just for the theater of the whole thing and utterly destroying what remains of Bush's second term while the world watches. They are that depraved.

Schadow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: