SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fired NSA Intelligence Analyst Gets Bid to Brief Congress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Fired NSA Intelligence Analyst Gets Bid to Brief Congress Reply with quote

This guy is a paranoid schizo who was a source for the NYTimes NSA leak.
Apparently wants to smear Hayden. Is he source for Rockefeller leaking to the NYT?
Quote:
CQ HOMELAND SECURITY – INTELLIGENCE
May 11, 2006 – 8:24 p.m.
Fired NSA Intelligence Analyst Gets Bid to Brief Congress
By Jeff Stein, CQ Staff

~SNIP~
“March 17th was when I met with the House Intelligence Committee,” Tice said, “and I went in and they told me they were not clear . . . and one of the guys said, ‘Oh, by the way, if you tell us anything at this level of clearances you could be arrested.”

A reliable source on the Intelligence committees, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, confirmed that Tice had initial meetings with committee staff but would not discuss any details.

Likewise, Wendy Morigi, spokeswoman for Senate Intelligence Committee Vice Chairman John D. Rockefeller IV, D-W.Va., would confirm only that Tice had met with committee staff.

On another occasion, Morigi said, Sen. Rockefeller had a brief conversation with Tice in the green room of a television news program where both were scheduled to appear.

Tice was not invited back to the Senate Intelligence Committee to testify because the Armed Services Committee had claimed jurisdiction over the issue, he and other sources said.

Like Nagasaki
In the interview last week, Tice compared last December’s explosive reports about the NSA’s warrantless domestic spying to “Hiroshima,” the first atomic attack on Japan in 1945.

“There are three or four Nagasakis to come ,” Tice predicted, comparing future revelations to the second, more powerful atomic bomb dropped on Japan.

On Thursday, USA Today reported that the NSA had partnered with private telecommunications providers to keep track of the telephone calls of hundreds of millions of American citizens and other U.S. residents.

The news was not entirely new.

As CQ reported on April 15, Mark Klein, a retired AT&T worker, gave a sworn statement that he saw NSA technicians set up a room at the company’s San Francisco switching station to tap into the phone calls and e-mail traffic carried by the telecommunication giant.

More NSA taps were being set up in other cities, “including Seattle, San Jose, Los Angeles and San Diego,” said Klein, who said he witnessed the NSA technicians at work.

USA Today reported that NSA had reached similar agreements with many more telecommunications companies.

The NSA has also refused to grant Justice Department lawyers the necessary security clearance to investigate the wriretapping matter, it was reported Thursday.

The next round of revelations might involve spy satellites that can read a car’s license plate from deep space, Tice hinted, refusing to go into details.

“There’s all kinds of things you can do in space,” he said. “The fidelity of those systems are very classified.”

Democrats Cleared
Democrats on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence said in a memo to other House Democrats Thursday that “five of us are now authorized to receive briefings on the activities of the president’s domestic surveillance program.”

“But all nine of us remain unanimous in our view that the entire Intelligence Committee must be briefed,” said the memo. “The failure to brief the full committee constitutes a violation of the National Security Act of 1947 (as amended). None of us misses the irony that leaks about the program are coming from the executive branch, not us.”

But Rep. Peter Hoekstra, R-Mich., chairman of the committee, blasted Thursday revelations.

“Once again another politically motivated leak alleging U.S. national security practices threatens to undermine our nation’s safety,” Hoekstra said in a press release.

“Rather than allow our intelligence professionals to maintain a laser focus on the terrorists, we are once again mired in a debate about what our intelligence community may or may not be doing. “

http://public.cq.com/public/20060511_homeland.html
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Rather than allow our intelligence professionals to maintain a laser focus on the terrorists, we are once again mired in a debate about what our intelligence community may or may not be doing. “

Remember that quote, folks, because I have the feeling it will come back to haunt us.

Quote:
The next round of revelations might involve spy satellites that can read a car’s license plate from deep space, Tice hinted, refusing to go into details.

“There’s all kinds of things you can do in space,” he said. “The fidelity of those systems are very classified.”

Great, why don't you hand that information over to our enemies, too? Somebody needs to get a wall and some blindfolds ready, in my opinion. Evil or Very Mad
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe what these people are being allowed to get away with. Do we still have an Attorney General?
This is like living in Alice in Wonderland or something. Surreal.

Dusty
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
Quote:

Remember that quote, folks, because I have the feeling it will come back to haunt us.

Quote:

Great, why don't you hand that information over to our enemies, too? Somebody needs to get a wall and some blindfolds ready, in my opinion. Evil or Very Mad

First off, I think (am rather sure) they already do.
Check out Digital Globe's home page: http://www.digitalglobe.com/

nice crisp picture of harbors.

next, http://maps.google.com/ and for an address try 1122 Adams Avenue, Louisville, Colorado 80027
note to Admin: not to worry, my 120 pound dog is guarding the place ... Cool

That photo used to be much clearer. The photo is also fairly recent ... taken about 2 months ago. This is the fourth update I'm aware of.
Then, type your own address in, and see what pops up. The map service (make that services ... there are web pages that compare the relative qualities of several mapping URL's) deliberately blurs things to prevent too much information from becoming public. I used to be able to see the paths my dog has worn in my back yard much better than this photo.

I've got a good friend who works for Digital Globe (Longmont, Colorado), and I've asked him how clear the images can get. He said "clearer", which told me all I wanted (needed!) to know.

The enemy already knows. If he (it!) doesn't, then they should be fairly easy to beat.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“There’s all kinds of things you can do in space,”

I'm sure they are aware we can take a high-quality photo. What else we can do is classified, and that's what I have concerns about revealing. I'm not going to give any hypothetical examples of "all kinds of things", but I'm ex-Air Force and worked beside a reconnaissance wing in SEA, so I'm not totally out of the loop. Wink
Having a shopping list of our space capabilities is not in the best interest of the country, and if it's revealed I would certainly hope there's prison time involved, at the minimum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: