SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Letter From Iraq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Letter From Iraq Reply with quote

OPEN LETTER TO THE EDITOR

21 March 2006

1st Lt Michael A. Kozeliski, USMC MiTT 8

On this third anniversary of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) I find myself in a remote location in Iraq as a member of a small U.S. Marine Corps Military Transition Team (MiTT) imbedded with an Iraqi Army (IA) Battalion North of Habbaniyah in an area called Jazirah.

I am able to get news from American Forces Network radio. I also receive newspapers and news magazines from friends and family. Although the periodicals are dated, I am able to keep aware of U.S. and world events, as we do not have regular internet access.

Lately I have heard of the organized protest, not only in the United States but around the world. I am not bitter. I do not feel as though my fellow service men and women and I are not appreciated, nor am I angered by those who feel compelled to protest the decision to invade and subsequently do the right thing by rebuilding. As a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, I do not take offence to the right of free speech. I encourage it and defend it. There are many who have served before me and who gave me, my family and friends the rights and freedoms we have today. It was important for me to "do my part" to keep freedom for not only the United States but around the world and in this case to spread it.

I know that if I and coalition forces not only in Iraq but also around the world do not do their job, then the rights we take full advantage of everyday may be gone.

I am reminded of a conversation I had a few years ago in Washington, D.C., as a civilian. I was outside the National Cathedral on Friday, Sept. 14, 2001, as President Bush gave his address calling for a national day of prayer. I was standing in the pouring rain wearing a suite and tie with a young USMC Sergeant in his service alpha (green dress) uniform working the event. During the ceremony we watched as protestors gathered to denounce the President and to persuade him not to go to war. I understand just about every human being in the civilized world, in some way or another, was affected by the events just three days earlier. I understand that not everyone believes in war as a possible means to an end and they had every right to express this but I did say to the young Marine, "I wonder if they realize that if you and those before you hadn’t done your job, they may not be able to express their opinion?" He responded with "I doubt it, sir."

There is progress being made here. This dedicated Iraqi battalion has fought off the insurgency in their area of operation and is ready for Iraqi police to take over. The locals are mainly rural farmers and ranchers who use the Euphrates River as the source of water to maintain an agricultural lifestyle. They now need government assistance to help rebuild infrastructure and establish the new local government. The lifestyle seen here is very different than what we as Westerners are used to seeing. As an example, it is common to see many women working in the fields, taking care of the cooking, children, farm animals and the man of the house not helping but watching. I am in no position to know if the women can make their own decision to work or not. I know there is now a new freedom in this country and it will be up to the Iraqi government, and the influences of organizations that will soon have access to the leadership, to determine if this will be a practice that will be continued or not. I do know, if the decision to go to war was not made this issue may not be up for discussion and the practices like this would undoubtedly continue.

My hope is that when the fourth anniversary of the start of OIF comes in 2007 the protestors realize just what freedoms and opportunities they have and what price has been paid for that right. For those of us who recently served, we will know that because of our work Iraq is better off, less coalition forces will need to deploy and that we may have made available some freedoms to those whom never had it.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LOOK FROM THE INSIDE…INITIAL ASSESSMENT

By 1st Lt Michael A. Kozeliski USMC with Capt B.J. Grass USMC

Released: 29 March 2006

As coalition forces focus on standing up the Iraqi Army (IA) by embedding Military Transition Teams (MiTT) comprised of U.S. Marine, Navy and Army personnel, the following article and subsequent articles will be a look from the inside though U.S. Marine Corps MiTT 8. MiTT 8 was formed, trained, prepared and deployed from Camp Pendleton, Calif., to advise the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Brigade,1st IA Division. The training consisted of an intense two-week course with a historical perspective of MiTT teams, weapons and equipment training. For most, this assignment was given on very short notice so the priority was to give as much time to the individual team members to spend with family and friends and take care of personal business prior to a one-year deployment. Once in Iraq, an additional five-day course was conducted in Taji for all MiTTs, which provided more detailed instruction on what can be expected with the IA units. The mission of MiTTs is to teach, coach and mentor the IA while assisting in fire support (artillery, mortars and the use of aircraft to cover the IA movement) and medical evacuations as required.

This IA unit has a solid track record and has already made some history in the new IA. Second Battalion was formed in January 2004 and was the first new IA battalion to have its own battle space in the Mosul area, where it fought alongside embedded U.S. advisors for seven months. In 2005, 2nd Battalion’s parent unit, the 3rd Brigade, was the first IA unit to have its own battle space in the Habbaniyah area, where it continues to maintain and gain ground on the insurgency. Most Iraqi units are partnered with an American unit; however, a unit that owns battle space operates independently from coalition ground forces. This IA unit is the cornerstone of the rebuilding of Iraqi security forces in the Al Anbar region.

Upon arrival to Combat Outpost Dunlap (COP Dunlap)-- named for Marine Sgt. Dunlap, who was killed in action and a member of the team we replaced-- we were immediately impressed with the Iraqis’ skills and abilities. From the senior battalion leadership to the young IA soldier, the level of basic military fundamentals is reasonably understood. For the most part their officers and non-commissioned officers (NCO) are like sponges. They soak up everything and are eager to learn coalition techniques, tactics and procedures. They are not U.S. Marines, nor will they ever be, but our ultimate goal is to train them to be the best Arab army in the region.

We see that the IA soldiers have a good sense of purpose and mission. They are eager to secure their land and make all of Iraq secure for themselves, their families and their neighbors. Each has a different motivation for joining. For some it is personal, having had members of their family killed or threatened. Some just need the money to support their family. Some believe in the new government and want to do their part. So far, we have seen that there are only a small number who go absent without leave (AWOL). For the most part the soldiers have a level of camaraderie within the battalion that rivals those of most Marine units. The battalion is very proud of its history and accomplishments in Mosul and its soldiers are eager to tell you about it. Additionally, throughout the last five months in Jazirah they have defeated the insurgency and have secured the area. They know they are good and want to learn how to get better.

The battalion leadership is one of the strongest in the brigade and is very interested in getting better. The leaders want to be advised regarding the best coarse of action but usually come up with it on their own. As unfamiliar situations arise, they come up with a plan and ask for input. Occasionally, they come up with a certain way of doing things that does not make sense to us, and we need to redirect the conversation back to basic doctrine; but usually their plan is a reasonable means to an end and that is what we are looking to reinforce.

Our advisor team had been briefed on what to expect, and it varied from the disorganized operation of "Keystone Cops" to a reasonable fighting force. We were pleasantly surprised by what we have walked into and are encouraged with what the MiTTs before us have taught and the IA retained. More importantly, the will of the IA is to get better and know the future is in their hands. They embrace it and want to see improvement. Working together over the next 11 months will hopefully see the production of a better overall fighting force that will be closer to taking full responsibility and be less reliant on coalition forces. Based on their history we expect it to be sooner rather than later.

Next month: Living conditions.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LOOK FROM THE INSIDE….LIVING CONDITIONS

By: 1st Lt Michael A. Kozeliski USMC with Capt B.J. Grass USMC

As coalition forces focus on standing up the Iraqi Army (IA) by imbedding Military Transition Teams (MiTT) comprised of Marine, Navy and Army personnel, the following article and subsequent articles will be a look from the inside though USMC MiTT 8. MiTT 8 was formed, trained, prepared and deployed (for one year) from Camp Pendleton to advise the 2d Battalion, 3d Brigade, 1st Division IA. The mission of MiTTs is to teach, coach and mentor the IA while assisting in fire support (artillery, mortars and the use of aircraft to cover the IA movement) and medical evacuations as required.

March 2006

Combat Out Post (COP) Dunlap is comprised of civilian homes that were occupied six months ago by the Iraqi Army. The local Iraqis, whose homes now make up the COP, received a one-time payment of $500 from the United States government. As was agreed upon prior to the mission, the Iraqi government would assume responsibility for future monthly payments to these civilians. The Iraqi government has not made these payments for the past five months. The structures are two and three story homes made of brick or concrete. There is no heating or air conditioning. The electricity is intermittent at best. The electrical system into the house is unsafe by U.S. standards, but it is effective. The wiring used to get electricity to the buildings consists of any piece of conduit with an insulator that will carry a current. Some of our military slash wire, used to carry the charge of D cell batteries is moving 220 volt. It has been our experience that the Iraqis have no rational fear of electricity.

The only indoor plumbing are sinks in which the water is gravity fed from a tank on the roof of each building. A water truck delivers water (reported to be potable but no MiTT has attempted to check) to military water tanks located near each building. The IA fills the gravity tanks with small pumps. Each house is equipped with an outhouse type facility for all to use. The toilet is flush with the concrete floor (European style). There is water bottled, in a jar or gravity fed which when used with the left hand replaces toilet paper. There is no flushing. Human waste is gravity fed into the septic system. The septic system consists of a big hole, which was dug and covered; there is neither a liner nor a tank.

Each company occupies one house. Some are just big enough to house the company while some of the soldiers are on leave. One will find the living cramped when the companies are at full strength. The soldiers sleep on the roof or on the ground outside. Most soldiers have a thin mattress to sleep on. At night, you cannot take a step through the building without walking on someone. The select few have a cot or a makeshift rail system to get them off the floor but the majority sleep on the floor. The Non-Commissioned Officers enforce military discipline. The IA cleans their living space once a week. The IA disposes of the accumulated mud, dust, cigarette butts, bottled water, soda cans, plates, food, utensils, candy wrappers, sunflower seeds and torn or unserviceable gear by burning it in a pit. Nothing reasonably usable is wasted or thrown out. They sweep the dirt fields around the buildings using hand made brooms as most of the brooms provided by the military have broken.

Currently the IA burns one official base wide trash pit regularly. Unfortunately, it is in the center of the camp. Most of the two or three days a week it is burning we all end up breathing the smoke. At least once a week the atmospherics causes the smoke to linger up to about 15’ above the ground. We hope the next burn pit is in a more remote location. Some of the line companies have their own burn areas where their trash is disposed of, which are usually, just over the wall from the housing structures.

The IA serves meals three times a day. A "chow hall" on the COP does all the cooking for the battalion’s soldiers however; it is common to see stoves cooking food in all the houses on base. This month there have been some problems getting the food but the IA chain of command working with MiTTs are trying to get it fixed. There is a limited amount of refrigeration so a large inventory of perishable food is not usually an option. The meals are prepared on large gas stoves in what looks like 10 to 15 gallon steel pots. The IA uses that same "potable" water discussed earlier to cook and clean. The soldiers use a wood fire or butane heat source to cook the food. The breakfast for the soldiers consists of hard-boiled eggs, and a green soup/oatmeal looking dish served in five-gallon buckets and stainless steel serving trays. Each soldier gets a plastic tray and plastic utensils. Lunch is the large meal of the day. It is usually a good portion of rice and a piece of chicken with an orange bean soup. Dinner can vary the most, from chicken and soup, to beans and rice with a possibility of some vegetables and the occasional lamb dinner. The lamb is usually held in reserve and cooked up for special occasions. The menu does not vary much, if ever. A contractor supplies all the food for the IA and consistent resupply has proven to be a challenge. All meals are supplemented with a tortilla like bread called khobas. All the meals are good but the soldiers (MiTTs included) really look forward to hot khobas. Another type of bread occasionally served looks like a pita and is called samoon. To drink, there is bottled water and carbonated beverages but the favorite of the IA is Chi. Chi is a tea that when mixed with three to four small packets of sugar makes a good drink. Having tried it without sugar it is a bitter tea. We understand why Iraqis enjoy it more with the sugar.

In our advisor role regarding meals, we have made some suggestions. First is that we have recommended the food be prepared and the men fed prior to going out on missions. Conducting an aggressive patrolling schedule will take a toll on the men. This will require IA leadership to enforce making sure meals and water is available prior to missions. Working with the IA leadership, the MiTTs have encouraged the importance of hydration and carrying food in order to extend/sustain combat power versus relying on locals and roadside stores to resupply them on missions. So far, this has been a success.

One addition to the camp was that of two gravity fed showers intended to benefit the IA soldiers. The use has been minimal at best, reason unknown, but there is a big problem in our eyes as they are collocated at the chow hall! We are continuing to advise the IA on this issue.

We live, eat and hygiene with the IA. Our MiTT pantry contains food and hygiene products sent by family, friends and supporters and some supplements from the Marine Corps (i.e. cereal, milk, power gels, and fruit). The only two MiTT luxuries on the COP are the two tent toilet facilities and our solar shower. Our tent toilet facility is a hard plastic seat with a bag system commonly used by civilians for recreational camping. Upon completion, the bag is disposed of in the burn pit. For obvious reasons, our toilets are for American use only. The other is the use of a solar shower system set up in the body of an eight-foot square HESCO barrier. The HESCO barrier is large box like structure that surrounds the camp filled with dirt to provide protection should the base take fire and to fend off attacks.

The IA soldiers are generally happy and enjoy the camaraderie of the other soldiers. They are always cooking, smoking, sleeping or conversing. Using their small gas stoves or small fires (inside and outside) they warm up food or cook up some Chi and reminisce about the days events. The IA has some difficult living conditions even for Iraqi standards. They, like us, get tired of the same meals and the cramped living conditions but they, like us, maintain conviction and have hope for the future. We both trust the leadership of our countries to do the right thing and make the right decisions to ensure the long-term success of the Iraqi government and the Iraqi Army.

Next Month: On patrol with a line company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: