SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We Were Soldiers and Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hmminCanada
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: We Were Soldiers and Thanks Reply with quote

Last night I watched We Were Soldiers on CBS (I could hardly believe they would run it). I had never seen it before. I thought back as I watched about where I was when that terrible battle began. I was snug and secure living still with my parents as I was beginning my first year of teaching and I remember how clueless I was about the war that some of you guys were now fighting. I don't really like violent movies but I felt I had to watch this one because now I do understand a whole lot more thanks to this website. I think I've become a little tougher too from all I've learned here. When the movie got a little too intense I just switched over to Turner classic Movies for a few minutes relief. They by the way have been showing a lot of very inspiring old movies about the World Wars. Too bad there aren't more of these made nowadays! Thank you all so very much for all that you did either in fighting this war or holding together the families at home or giving support and comfort to the families of those who did not come home. I cried so much watching the movie and my eyes are tearful now. I will never forget your courage and your sacrifice.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmminCanada, thank you. Your words are very kind and appreciated.

May I also suggest that you or anyone else that didn't serve in Viet Nam seek out and discuss what Viet Nam was like for the Vietnamese people after the US pulled out and the North Vietnamese Communists conquered the South.

I have my haircut by a Vietnamese lady who only told me things were pretty bad for them, but I never sat and talked with her as much as I wanted before. Last night, I got my chance. My wife and I discussed this with her and her youngest son, maybe 17 or so. It shocked me to learn she was one of the "Boat People" and had escaped at the age of 14 in 1980. Her son has written a term paper about his Mom for school and I am awaiting receipt of the paper to read.

I'm still trying to get her and others I meet to sit and write down their experiences as best they can. I do this in hopes of maybe waking some people up as to what they will accomplish again in Iraq and Afghanistan if the leftists succeed in another "cut and run" withdrawal.

Several are trying to get the truth out about Viet Nam. It seems that you have seen the truth about it.

Thank you.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
hmminCanada, thank you. Your words are very kind and appreciated.

May I also suggest that you or anyone else that didn't serve in Viet Nam seek out and discuss what Viet Nam was like for the Vietnamese people after the US pulled out and the North Vietnamese Communists conquered the South.

I have my haircut by a Vietnamese lady who only told me things were pretty bad for them, but I never sat and talked with her as much as I wanted before. Last night, I got my chance. My wife and I discussed this with her and her youngest son, maybe 17 or so. It shocked me to learn she was one of the "Boat People" and had escaped at the age of 14 in 1980. Her son has written a term paper about his Mom for school and I am awaiting receipt of the paper to read.

I'm still trying to get her and others I meet to sit and write down their experiences as best they can. I do this in hopes of maybe waking some people up as to what they will accomplish again in Iraq and Afghanistan if the leftists succeed in another "cut and run" withdrawal.

Several are trying to get the truth out about Viet Nam. It seems that you have seen the truth about it.

Thank you.

Interesting Lew,

I have had similar conversations with the girl who cuts my hair, although she was only 6 when her father grabbed their family and left South Vietnam. She realizes how lucky she is to be alive, yet has never had a really long talk with her father about their exodus. All she remembers is her father filling every container he could find with diesel fuel and smelling it for days while on his shrimping boat on course to hawaii. Hawaii? Holy Cow that is a long haul from S vietnam. I told her she needed to learn everything about it she could before he passed away, because their story is one which should never be forgotten.
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something like the SHOAH foundation should be established to give the Vietnamese the chance to record this history so we can hope it never happens again
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Vietnamese-Americans for Truth has a certain ring to it...Bring It On! Wink
hmminCanada
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: We Were Soldiers and Thanks Reply with quote

Lew:
Back in the 70s, my church in Thunder Bay, Ont. sponsored at least 5
"boat people" from Viet Nam. They were all young adult women. Three of them were sisters and another had been a maid in their household. The 5th was unrelated. I don't remember the details of their story but I remember they had a very difficult time and were very grateful to be safe in Canada. One of them told us she was kind of worried on the flight because she had been told it was very cold in Canada and she might freeze her nose off so she got off the plane with her hand over her face. I wish I had thought to interview them and take down their history back then. I don't know what became of them because we moved in 1981. I know people from Chinese background and some from the Philippines but I don't think I know anyone now from Viet Nam. If I ever do meet someone I'll take time to find out their story.

Me#1
That sounds like a good idea!
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stories of the boat-people and others who fled SEA are compelling and must be told.

More compelling and of greater consequence when related to today's situation in Iraq are the stories of those who did not or could not leave. If those stories were fully told, no one would feel any sense of pride or accoplishment for having been an activist who "forced the US to end the war".

But then again.......they had and still have no conscience and thus no shame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: