SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNN: A reporter's shock at the Haditha allegations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: CNN: A reporter's shock at the Haditha allegations Reply with quote

This type of story is such a novelty in the MSM that it warrants almost Smithsonian-esque preservation as the "exception that proves the rule"...and from CNN no less...

Quote:
A reporter's shock at the Haditha allegations
By Arwa Damon
CNN
Tuesday, May 30, 2006; Posted: 9:56 p.m. EDT (01:56 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- It actually took me a while to put all the pieces together -- that I know these guys, the U.S. Marines at the heart of the alleged massacre of Iraqi civilians in Haditha.

I don't know why it didn't register with me until now. It was only after scrolling through the tapes that we shot in Haditha last fall, and I found footage of some of the officers that had been relieved of their command, that it hit me.

I know the Marines that were operating in western al Anbar, from Husayba all the way to Haditha. I went on countless operations in 2005 up and down the Euphrates River Valley. I was pinned on rooftops with them in Ubeydi for hours taking incoming fire, and I've seen them not fire a shot back because they did not have positive identification on a target. (Watch a Marine's anguish over deaths -- 2:12)

I saw their horror when they thought that they finally had identified their target, fired a tank round that went through a wall and into a house filled with civilians. They then rushed to help the wounded -- remarkably no one was killed.

I was with them in Husayba as they went house to house in an area where insurgents would booby-trap doors, or lie in wait behind closed doors with an AK-47, basically on suicide missions, just waiting for the Marines to come through and open fire. There were civilians in the city as well, and the Marines were always keenly aware of that fact. How they didn't fire at shadows, not knowing what was waiting in each house, I don't know. But they didn't.

And I was with them in Haditha, a month before the alleged killings last November of some 24 Iraqi civilians.

CNN - cont'd
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only do I share this reporters amazement at these allegations, I find it very disturbing that many of the same people that have demanded due process for terrorists in Gitmo and elsewhere are the same people ready to lynch these Marines before any investigations have concluded.

While there is every possibility the incident got out of hand, it is equally possible that these Marines have been set up by terrorists in Iraq. The investigations will determine that.

Don't forget, just last year we had the case of Lt. Pantano and the media had him convicted and swinging from the gallows. After autopsy evidence was introduced, murder charges were dropped.

Mr. Murtha's Rush To Judgement
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: CNN: A reporter's shock at the Haditha allegations Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
This type of story is such a novelty in the MSM that it warrants almost Smithsonian-esque preservation as the "exception that proves the rule"...and from CNN no less...

Smile very clever
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: