SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I Mixing Up Stories or Missing Something Here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navymomx2
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Am I Mixing Up Stories or Missing Something Here? Reply with quote

I have been reading old newspaper articles online and came across this one dated December 22, 1971 from the Coshocton Tribune, Coshocton, Ohio.

Quote:
Anti-Vietnam Hero Cool, Angry by Murray Olderman

San Francisco---(NEA)

John Kerry had to make a decision. The three gunboats sailing up the narrow ribbon of river in Vietnam were weighted down with 30 troops each. Creeping along at 10 knots an hour. The shores were thick with mangrove. Ambush country. And then from the dense brush, the telltale puffs of smoke, the spatter of bullets.

Naval Lieutenant Kerry, the tactical officer for the mission quickly decided. He ordered the boats turned sharply right and beached. With him leading the way, they jumped ashore and through mangrove, in the face of fire, and quickly overran and captured the Viet Cong position.

For this John Kerry received the Silver Star---to go in the same drawer with the Bronze Star and the 3 Purple Hearts he also received in the course of valourous action in Vietnam.

Now this is why I am confused and could have something mixed up. Is this the scene in which he beached his boat and went after the young man he shot? I thought I read somewhere his boat was alone, yet there are 2 other boats. I know from all the reporting that there were only what 5-6 men on each of these boats which Kerry served on yet in the article it's saying 30 troops on each.

I have heard the other side say the "Other's" in the ad didn't serve on Kerry's boat and they were 1/2 a football field away, yet this description more fits with the pics someone posted on here with the 3 boats traveling together up the Mekong.

Another part I found interesting and had to laugh was:

Quote:
"Looking back" he says, "I'm embarrassed by the fact I was over there shooting. One can't look back without feeling I was shooting without justification, morally. And yet I had no compunctions then. It was a life and death situation. But in retrospect it all seems absurd."

He was EMBARRASSED and yet now he is PROUD, flip flop!!
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I Mixing Up Stories or Missing Something Here? Reply with quote

Navymomx2 wrote:
I am confused and could have something mixed up.

He was EMBARRASSED and yet now he is PROUD, flip flop!!

No confusion Navymomx2

Correct exaggerated story. Correct conclusion.

Only one of many concerning his very short tour.

Buy the book. The facts about AFTER he returned
to the United States are even more revealing.

Navymomx2
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB,

I am going to buy the book. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Can you or someone clarify for me, would there have been or was there 30 troops on each of the 3 boats in this incident?

I've been running some searches on this and am getting conflicting info.

Thanks
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyMomx,

I'm not sure I've even seen a Swift boat, but from reading lots of info here, it seems that the boats carried six people. I'm guessing that might be give or take one or two, depending on the circumstances, but that's still a very small number.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Am I mixing up stories. Reply with quote

"Can you or someone clarify for me, would there have been or was there 30 troops on each of the 3 boats in this incident? "

This was the writting of the Chronology of Highlights for CosDiv 11 Command History. This is what jfk won his Silver Star for.

2/28/69 PCFs 23, 43 and 94 returned to the Bay Hap and Landed Cai Nuoc RF/PF troops at ambush sites along the banks. Sweep uncovered numerous spent small arms ammo and spider holes. Troops embarked again and proceeded to the Dong Cung canal where PCFs encountered enemy initiated firefight. OTC directed the PCFs into beach where VC attempted to escape. Troops disembaked in pursuit of VC. Results were 10 VC KIA (BC), 1 VC WIA(escaped), 3 VC CIA, 1 B-40 launcher with rockets CIA, 6 chicom rifles CIA, 30 sampans, 15 structures, 7 bunkers and 12 tons of rice destroyed. PCFs received light damage during operation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: