SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Jersey And You -- corrupt, but still trys to use SBPT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: New Jersey And You -- corrupt, but still trys to use SBPT Reply with quote

From the state that once had the Mayors of every one of its largest cities ALL in jail at the same time we get this political slur using SBVT.

An (AP) article in the The Daily Record Online
Trys to somehow equate a political smear campaign with Swift Boat tactics.
Quote:
Report: Kean preparing "Swift Boat" style ad

TRENTON (AP) -- New Jersey Republican U.S. Senate candidate Tom Kean Jr.'s campaign is readying a film that accuses Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez of being involved in a kickback scheme more than 20 years ago despite public records and statements that dispute those claims, according to a published report today.

Kean's chief campaign consultant, Matt Leonardo, who disclosed the plans in an interview with The New York Times, said the film would be like the "Swift Boat" ads used to attack John Kerry's military record during the 2004 presidential race.

"The similarity between the Swift boat ads and this movie -- you have two individuals who have told stories for a political purpose and the facts just don't jibe," Leonardo told the newspaper. "And these two individuals were able to get away with telling it their way for more than a decade and a half. I would say it's very similar in that way."

Well this is the home of Tony Soprano.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm... Were one more cynical, one might observe the coincidence of a similar treatment in the NY Slimes?... (emphasis mine)

Quote:
Kean Is Preparing a Campaign Film Against Menendez in the Style of a Swift Boat Ad
By JIM DWYER
June 30, 2006
New York Times

The Republican candidate for the United States Senate in New Jersey, Thomas H. Kean Jr., intends to make a campaign film that accuses his Democratic opponent, Robert Menendez, of "being wrapped up in the rackets for 30 years" despite public records and statements by former federal prosecutors that contradict Mr. Kean's most serious charges.

Mr. Kean's chief campaign consultant, Matt Leonardo, a strategist for Republican candidates, disclosed the plans in an interview and said the film would be "very similar" in purpose to the commercials used to attack the military record of John Kerry during the 2004 presidential race.

Kean campaign officials have sought to erode their opponent's public biography, charging that virtually every moment of Mr. Menendez's career has been mired in graft and bossism. That includes his early days in Union City, where Mr. Menendez has said that he acted to thwart a racketeering scheme involving his own political associates and organized crime figures — a claim that is documented in public records and corroborated by independent authorities.

Nevertheless, the Kean campaign will challenge that biography in "a long-form film," Mr. Leonardo said, just as commercials broadcast in 2004 attacked Mr. Kerry's military record. Those commercials, relying on claims by a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, purported to expose Mr. Kerry's military decorations as exaggerated or fraudulent. Although the premise and many elements of the Swift boat advertisements were strongly disputed, as a whole they were seen as successful in hobbling the Kerry campaign.

<snip>

During a four-month trial in 1981 and 1982, the corrupt contractor at the center of the scheme testified that Mr. Menendez created headaches for the plotters when he balked at processing fraudulent paperwork needed for a kickback scheme.

Little wonder that Mr.Dwyer and the NY Slimes, who decry "swiftboating"* at every opportunity, have embraced a new standard of honesty and integrity for a blue state as notorious for political corruption as the State of New Jersey. "Creat(ing) headaches" for those who prey upon the public trust now qualifies for a "Mr.Smith Goes To Washington" Award in the Garden State.

*See Mike Rosen's excellent commentary on the subject of "swiftboating".

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, of course, AP can be counted on to pickup the NY Times' tune... (emphasis original)
Quote:
GOP's Kean Plans'Swift Boat'-Style Film
Friday, June 30, 2006
By DONNA DE LA CRUZ, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON — Republican Tom Kean Jr.'s campaign plans a"Swift Boat"-style film accusing his Democratic rival of involvement in a New Jersey mob-connected kickback scheme despite public records and statements disputing that claim.

Sen. Bob Menendez has talked about how he courageously testified against Union City, N.J., Mayor William V. Musto in a 1982 federal trial that dealt with school construction, kickbacks and the Mob.

Musto was convicted and sentenced to seven years in prison. He died in February.

Kean contends that Menendez's portrayal of his role is inaccurate. Four former federal prosecutors who oversaw the case have said Menendez was never involved in any wrongdoing.

The Kean campaign has acknowledged the prosecutors'statements, but spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker said Friday,"The corruption is so deep and so extensive it requires a film to capture all of it."

FoxNews.com - cont'd

"Et tu?" Fox News?

But perhaps Menendez requires a legitimate "swiftboating"? I can live with that.
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: New Jersey's Politcal Corruption deep as the Grand Canyon. Reply with quote

I've lived in the "Garden State" many years , and travelled the US far and wide.
I have never seen anything like New Jersey. The arrests of local politicians are a daily event.
This is the most corrupt Real Estate in the US. I think the "Sopranos" are actually a "cover" for far more corruption.
The seaports of NJ are the most corrupt in the world.
A tiny sliver of NJ controls the entire state.

Now how did the "Swift Boats" get mentioned in a state campaign?

Pure Evil.

How long before John Kerry shows up to support these Demons?
noyesj
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People , stories like these make me proud to have had a small part

in this GREAT group of Americans.

Every time the drive by media or those GOONS in the northeast

make comments like they have lately it just makes the swifties

that much stronger! Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: