SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crew Member Questioned Kerry's Silver Star in 1996

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Crew Member Questioned Kerry's Silver Star in 1996 Reply with quote

thanks to poster "jbodell" for this....putting out so easier to view

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/8/11/115426.shtml
Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2004 11:53 a.m. EDT

A Swift Boat veteran who was a member of Sen. John Kerry's crew when their boat was targeted in February 1969 by an enemy rocket launcher has refuted Kerry's claim that he single-handedly saved his crew from the attack - an account that earned the top Democrat the Silver Star.

Interviewed during Kerry's 1996 Senate re-election battle, Kerry crew member Tom Bellodeau told the Boston Globe that he - not Kerry - fired the shot that brought down the enemy fighter, who had aimed a loaded rocket launcher at their boat just after Kerry beached it on the Ca Mau peninsula.

"You know, I shot that guy," Bellodeau said, in response to an earlier Globe account that credited Kerry for his heroism.
"He jumped up, he looked right at me, I looked at him," the Kerry shipmate explained. "You could tell he was trying to decide whether to shoot or not. I expected the guy on Kerry's boat with the twin 50s to blast him, but he couldn't depress the guns far enough. We were up on the bank."

Only after the enemy soldier was wounded, said Bellodeau, did Kerry leap from the boat onto the beach and pursue him around the back of a nearby hut, where Kerry finished him off.

Bellodeau's account is particularly damaging because he was actually a member of Kerry's Swift Boat crew - the group of Vietnam veterans the Kerry campaign has repeatedly offered up to respond to criticism of his war record by other Swift Boaters who were on different boats.

Kerry's Silver Star citation credits him alone for taking down the Viet Cong soldier, making no mention whatsoever of Bellodeau.

"An enemy soldier sprang up from his position not 10 feet from Swift Boat 94 and fled," the combat award reads. "Without hesitation Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry leaped ashore, pursued the man behind a hootch and killed him, capturing a B-40 rocket launcher with a round in the chamber."

And Kerry has done nothing to incorporate Bellodeau's role in subsequent accounts of the encounter with the enemy fighter.

In a 1996 interview, Kerry makes no mention of the first shot whatsoever.

"It was either going to be him or it was going to be us. It was that simple. I don't know why it wasn't us - I mean, to this day. He had a rocket pointed right at our boat. He stood up out of a hole, and none of us saw him until he was standing in front of us, aiming a rocket right at us, and, for whatever reason, he didn't pull the trigger - he turned and ran."

When pressed for more details, the top Democrat said: "I just won't talk about all of it. I don't and can't. The things that really turned me I've never told anybody. Nobody would understand."
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent. Belodeau was a Kerry crewmate, but he is not one of the Kerry "band of brothers". Thanks for the link.

And guys and gals - when you post stuff here, please post links. I'm working on a history that will be devastating to Kerry once it's all put together. I need the links.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:
This is excellent. Belodeau was a Kerry crewmate, but he is not one of the Kerry "band of brothers". Thanks for the link.

And guys and gals - when you post stuff here, please post links. I'm working on a history that will be devastating to Kerry once it's all put together. I need the links.

Good point. Those who provide their own analysis and don't have their own websites should find a site to post it on that can be linked to such as

http://www.freerepublic.com

I have web space at lycos that I can post a copy on although I prefer not to mess with photos at this time.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Crew Member Questioned Kerry's Silver Star in 1996 Reply with quote

integritycounts wrote:
thanks to poster "jbodell" for this....putting out so easier to view

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/8/11/115426.shtml
Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2004 11:53 a.m. EDT

. . .

Interviewed during Kerry's 1996 Senate re-election battle, Kerry crew member Tom Bellodeau told the Boston Globe that he - not Kerry - fired the shot that brought down the enemy fighter, who had aimed a loaded rocket launcher at their boat just after Kerry beached it on the Ca Mau peninsula.

"You know, I shot that guy," Bellodeau said, in response to an earlier Globe account that credited Kerry for his heroism.
"He jumped up, he looked right at me, I looked at him," the Kerry shipmate explained. "You could tell he was trying to decide whether to shoot or not. I expected the guy on Kerry's boat with the twin 50s to blast him, but he couldn't depress the guns far enough. We were up on the bank."

That's confusing, though. I didn't think anyone questioned that the kid was shot with the 50 caliber weapon. But Bellodeau claimed that he was up on the bank, next to the boat, referring to "Kerry's boat" as if he weren't a crewmember? He shot the kid with his rifle? The heavy guns on Kerry's craft were not used?
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a version where it is claimed that short throws a lot of ammo with the big guns. Also claims Tommy clipped the guy. There are so many stories and versions of the same incident it could drive one stir crazy.

Does anyone know who was killed on Feb 27, 1969?
gkdechow
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that Tommy Belodeau has died. If this is true do you know how and when he died.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellodeau is dead. Kerry gave eulogy. Don't know details, am too lazy to search for it right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: