SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Judge: Wiretap Program Unconstitutional
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Judge: Wiretap Program Unconstitutional Reply with quote

A noted ACTIVIST judge --Jimmuh Carter appointee!!
Quote:
Judge: Wiretap Program Unconstitutional
- By SARAH KARUSH, Associated Press Writer
Thursday, August 17, 2006

(08-17) 09:23 PDT DETROIT (AP) --

A federal judge ruled Thursday that the government's warrantless wiretapping program is unconstitutional and ordered an immediate halt to it.

U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor in Detroit became the first judge to strike down the National Security Agency's program, which she says violates the rights to free speech and privacy as well as the separation of powers enshrined in the Constitution.

"Plaintiffs have prevailed, and the public interest is clear, in this matter. It is the upholding of our Constitution," Taylor wrote in her 43-page opinion.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit on behalf of journalists, scholars and lawyers who say the program has made it difficult for them to do their jobs. They believe many of their overseas contacts are likely targets of the program, which involves secretly listening to conversations between people in the U.S. and people in other countries.

The government argued that the program is well within the president's authority, but said proving that would require revealing state secrets.

The ACLU said the state-secrets argument was irrelevant because the Bush administration already had publicly revealed enough information about the program for Taylor to rule.

SOURCE

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hooey.
Another liberal activist judge who would flush our nation down the commode.
Without the right to listen in on the bad guys conversations, the recent round-up of terrorists that our wonderful allies, the Brits, conducted, would never have happened and there would be another 3 or 4 thousand Americans and others dead.
And the filers of the suit. The ACLU.
The ACLU is one of the worst underminers of American Freedom to ever exist. Every action they perpetrate erodes our safety and security and helps the terrorists. IMHO they out to be classified as a terrorism supporting organization. The ACLU is as much of a threat to our Freedoms and way of life as the terrorists.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some judge HAS to be found, pronto, to issue a temporary stay on this until the Supremes can act and, hopefully, overturn.

The ACLU obviously went judge-shopping and found this Carter appointee to do their bidding.

We are being eaten alive by traitors.

Schadow
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet this makes the frontpage/lead story of the MSM Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt this decision will eventually be overturned.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This judge should be made to continously fly in and out of the United States on U.S. aircarriers until either the threat of these planes being hijacked or blown up is past or until the one she is one suffers that exact fate.

Dusty
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some snips from a Detroit Free Press article dated 7 August 2006:

Quote:
Judge could alter war on terror

<snip>

Anna Diggs Taylor never planned to become a federal judge. But opportunity knocked.

She never intended to become the first black woman to serve as chief judge of the U.S. District Court in eastern Michigan.

<snip>

In 1979, three years after she campaigned for Jimmy Carter's presidential bid, Carter rewarded Taylor with a lifetime appointment to U.S. District Court in Detroit.

<snip>

In 1984, Taylor banned nativity scenes on municipal property in Birmingham and Dearborn in ACLU lawsuits.

<snip>

In 1998, a year after Taylor became chief judge, Judge Bernard Friedman blasted her for her role in an effort to have a suit challenging the University of Michigan's use of race in its law school's admission policies assigned to another judge who was handling a similar case. Taylor's husband is a U-M regent.

<snip>

But even if Taylor harpoons the spying program, experts said, the decision likely would be overturned by the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals.

"Given the composition of the 6th Circuit and its previous rulings in related areas, it seems more likely to favor national security over civil liberties if that issue is squarely presented," said Carl Tobias, a law professor at the University of Richmond in Virginia. "And that's what this case is all about."

So, maybe there's hope.

Source

Schadow
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush was talking about this earlier this morning. From what I heard, the Judge went and took the case from another Judge. He also mentioned all the ties to Jimmuh Cahtah and this Judge.

I'm waiting to see if he puts the transcript up on the EIB Network site.

When we get hit again, and undoubtedly, we will, watch as the leftist start whining about it all and I will be at the head of the line to remind them it was they who erected all the blocks to Bush effectively cutting off terrorist activity within the US.

Edit: Mark Levin has commented on this here at: National Review
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update from Mark Levin.
Quote:
UPDATE: This from the Justice Department: "The parties have also agreed to a stay of the injunction until the District Court can hear the Department's motion for a stay pending appeal."

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit on behalf of journalists, scholars and lawyers who say the program has made it difficult for them to do their jobs. They believe many of their overseas contacts are likely targets of the program, which involves secretly listening to conversations between people in the U.S. and people in other countries.'

This really frosts me!!

I DO NOT CARE that the program makes it difficult for them to do their jobs!

I DO CARE that the program keeps the terrorists from successfully doing theirs!!
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
Quote:
'The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit on behalf of journalists, scholars and lawyers who say the program has made it difficult for them to do their jobs. They believe many of their overseas contacts are likely targets of the program, which involves secretly listening to conversations between people in the U.S. and people in other countries.'

This really frosts me!!

I DO CARE that the program keeps the terrorists from successfully doing theirs!!

Right on shawa.
Just who are these journalists, scholars and lawyers talking to that they would be targets of the program?
The program targets known Al Quada operatives. If they are talking to Al Quada, I damn sure want the govt. to know about it. Tough s..t if they can't plan and conspire like they would like to without being listened to.
I say bring the ACLU into court and demand the list of these journalists, scholars and lawyers on whose behalf they have filed this suit and let's investigate them and find out just who it is they are talking to that they are worried about being listened in on.

Dusty
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
Right on shawa.

Just who are these journalists, scholars and lawyers talking to that they would be targets of the program?
The program targets known Al Quada operatives. If they are talking to Al Quada, I damn sure want the govt. to know about it. Tough s..t if they can't plan and conspire like they would like to without being listened to.
I say bring the ACLU into court and demand the list of these journalists, scholars and lawyers on whose behalf they have filed this suit and let's investigate them and find out just who it is they are talking to that they are worried about being listened in on.

Dusty

Brit had a constitutional lawyer from Pepperdine on the show today. A significant point he made was that there is much precedence in similar cases that require the plaintiffs to have specific and quantifiable measures of the damages done to them in order to succeed in their case. As far as I can tell, these lefty journalists, scholars and lawyers had only the feeling of the possibility of a threat. Nothing actual or quantifiable.

The betting is that the 6th Circuit will overturn on that basis in addition to others, mainly relating to the powers of the President in wartime.

Schadow
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
Quote:

This really frosts me!!

The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit on behalf of a self-anointed 'elite' group of leftist journalists, scholars and lawyers who say the program has made it difficult for them to do their jobs of destroying Western culture in line with the tenets of social Marxism.

There. Fixed that.

Don't anyone here forget it.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue need to be fast tracked to the USSC for an abosolute and final resolution.

I can accept their decision, but not one from a card carrying member of the ACLU in between.

Independent that leans right of center.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Mark Levihn's article:
Quote:

UPDATE II: Just to be clear, Taylor ruled that the president/NSA violated the FISA, Title III, the First and Fourth Amendments, and the Separation of Powers doctrine.

The Judge's ruling might just hold. The only thing she's violated is common sense[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: