SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bill Cosby, Navy Vet , in NJ for Veterans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Bill Cosby, Navy Vet , in NJ for Veterans Reply with quote

This link from the NJ Star Ledger is a bit vague

But here is a quote
Quote:
Cosby comes to Newark in support of veterans
Actor and comedian Bill Cosby spoke at a rally in Newark this afternoon and urged the federal government to spend more money on healthcare for veterans.

Cosby, a Navy veteran, told a group of about 100 veterans that they had the power to be heard in Washington.

"You may be in a wheelchair, you may have lost fingers, but you are strong," Cosby said. "There is no reason to cut back on anything involving you...you didn't cut back when you were over there because you knew there'd be bullets coming from all over the place at you."

Cosby, who flew in from Los Angeles for the rally, said he's added veterans issues to the topics he wants to speak out about.

The group that organized the rally, Operation Firing For Effect, is trying to push Congress to appropriate more money for veterans' healthcare.

The number of veterans using the VA's health system has swollen to about 7.5 million, from about 4 million, over the past five years, causing long delays for some treatments.

According to VA statistics, as many as 30,000 veterans are on a waiting list for care in any given month. Many higher income veterans who aren't disabled have been barred from using the VA health system. And Congressional budget appropriators recently cut funding for a program for the research and treatment of head injuries suffered by troops in Iraq.

Contributed by Wayne Woolley
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is vague, but nonetheless interesting. I was not aware that Bill Cosby supported anything but "JELLO"! Wink

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doll wrote:
Yes it is vague, but nonetheless interesting. I was not aware that Bill Cosby supported anything but "JELLO"! Wink

Doll, don't you remember Cosby's "I don't make housecalls" routine. He was a medic in Korea, besides being an upstanding individual with a head on his shoulders.
You can always count on Cosby to stand for what is good in America.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Doll wrote:

Doll, don't you remember Cosby's "I don't make housecalls" routine. He was a medic in Korea, besides being an upstanding individual with a head on his shoulders.
You can always count on Cosby to stand for what is good in America.

Hi BuffaloJack and thanks for the information. No I do not remember his routine, "I don't make housecalls". Nor was I aware that he was a medic in Korea. I meant no harm with my little quip. I was just kidding. I happen to think highly of Bill Cosby. I am sorry if I offended you or anyone here. I would never make fun of any veteran [excuse me- I don't lie, that is skerry and Murtha-traitors] since my father and hubby are both vets. My Dad is also a vet of the Korean War. Maybe that gives you an idea of how young/old I am. Smile

The most I ever knew of Cosby was his 80's sitcom, his Jello commercials, and his outspokenness towards his people. I have never heard him, nor anyone until today speak of his being a medic in Korea during the Korean War.

Thanks for the information. I will certainly view Cosby in a much different light now. Wink

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed with the fact that Bill Cosby came to speak in
Newark, NJ.

With 5-10 people being shot a night its almost as bad as Iraq.

I wouldn't go to Newark if they were giving out free gold coins.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doll,
I wasn't offended at all. Just thought others might not think of Cosby as a combat veteran.
Jack
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Doll,
I wasn't offended at all. Just thought others might not think of Cosby as a combat veteran.
Jack

Thanks Jack. This is good knowledge to have. I am sure there are others whom are not aware that Cosby is a Vet of the Korean War.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

noyesj
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doll, I don,t at what time you you were brought into this world,

but the ones of us that are in our later years know that if all blacks

in this country had the mind of Bill we would have a much better United

States than we do now.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born a bit after the Korean War, but I grew up hearing about Bill Cosby, I just never heard about him being a Vet. I wonder why now considering my father is an Army Vet of the Korean War. I asked him and he gave me a typical male answer, "you were a little girl and you weren't much interested in such things." I suppose he is right.

Nonetheless, I would think this would have been more widely talked about and known. However, from what I do know of Cosby, he is a humble man.

As far as your later statement:

noyesj wrote:
but the ones of us that are in our later years know that if all blacks

in this country had the mind of Bill we would have a much better United

States than we do now.

I only in part agree with you because Whites have not done such a great job either. The Blacks and American Indians were instrumental in helping the United States win WWII and have never received the credit due them.

Considering our state of politics today, considering it is still predominantly 'white', I would be remiss to hinge it on Blacks. I am sure that is not your intent, but Whites like Kerry, Gregg, Murtha leave a stench in our nostrils.

Too bad people still make 'color' distinctions, after all, we all bleed alike and we all feel. For whatever it is worth I believe the state of affairs of the United States stinks because of corruption and greed and that my friend transcends any mans color. Wink

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for sake of accuracy and not to take anything away from Bill Cosby, whom I admire a lot;

Quote:
Born William Henry Cosby Jr. on July 12, 1937, in North Philadelphia, Cosby enlisted in the Navy in 1956. He trained as a hospital corpsman and served aboard ships and at the Marine base at Quantico, Virginia, before being sent to Bethesda Naval Hospital. He was assigned to work with Korean War casualties.

Cosby won awards running on the Navy track team, but also experienced racial discrimination, being forced to eat in the kitchen of cafes where the team stopped to eat while on the road. He was honorably discharged after four years of service in 1960.

He went on to Temple University on the GI Bill. He later received an M.A and Ed.D. (Education) at the University of Massachusetts. In recent years, he has contributed generously to educational institutions, including Atlanta's Spelman College.

Bill Cosby

What I have always admired about Bill Cosby is that he doesn't play the race card in his routine and his stance of late towards those who won't do for themselves. His words equally apply to young whites, whether they wish to hear them or not.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
His words equally apply to young whites, whether they wish to hear them or not.

You are right on about that Lew. Cosby's words apply across the board and their are some who have never grown up that could benefit from what he says. A very wise man.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: