SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remembering 9/ll: Five Years Later

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Remembering 9/ll: Five Years Later Reply with quote

I wrote and posted this at my blog. After doing so I felt compelled to share this here with you all.

Remembering 9/11: Five Years Later

I am quite sure that there is not one of you that does not remember what you were doing on 9/11. That fateful day will remain embedded in our hearts and minds forever.

Recalling the morning of 9/11 I will never forget the shock and horror of watching the second plane fly into the World Trade Center. I watched it live as it happened while being aired on ABC's Good Morning America.

This was so horrific that all I could do was put my face into my hands and cry out to God for I knew, as we all did, that our nation and people were under attack from Islamic extremists. On that day evil came unto our shores in a way it had never been experienced and our fellow Americans rose up to look that evil in the face with resolve and determination. The bravery that day and since is a testament to the patriotism of the American people.

Sadly there are those, specifically former vice-president Al Gore that decries, "He betrayed this country! He played on our fears," speaking of President Bush in a 2004 speech before Tennessee Democrats. Gore's speech was rewarded with resounding applause. Obviously the failed presidential candidate and his liberal counterparts just did not get or did not care to understand what happened on September 11, 2001. All the while permeating their pre-9/11 mentality, ascribing blame, which is still prevalent today amongst liberals and many Democrats.

Five years after 9/11 you can read the 9/11 Commission Report, listen to all the talking heads debunk Clinton's failed policies, ascribe blame solely on President Bush, but the point is being sorely missed. That point is that what happened prior to 9/11, what led up to it, right or wrong, did not prevent 9/11 from happening. We all must live with that.

Efforts made across the board to secure our nation and our citizenry at home and abroad have been much improved. Though we will never be completely safe, we are safer than on September 10, 2001. Only in a perfect world would you have complete safety, no wars, no terrorists. History has proved more than once that living in complete peace comes to an end and sadly war is inevitable sooner or later.

Today we remember 9/11 five years later. Today is a day of remembrance of those loved ones lost, our fellow countrymen, people that just wanted to live like you and me. Free to live, to work, to love, to embrace God and family, to love their country - that was robbed them. But today we can do these things for them, in memory of them, in horror of them. Let no hero go unremembered, no loved one forgotten, no American taken for granted. Thank God for what we have today for tomorrow is not promised to any of us.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, Doll.

Even though I'm on the Left Coast (San Diego), I got to work that day before the attacks had happened. A co-worker who arrived an hour later told us all what had happened. That was before the second plane hit.

Well before lunch our boss sent us home for the day, even though we were in no danger. He wanted us to spend the time with family and friends.

That December the boss cancelled our Christmas party and instead put on a party for the families of the local Marines fighting in Afganistan. You should have seen those kids getting cool toys from Santa and his helpers. About 250 people from my company volunteered to help with that party. We did the same thing the next year. A lot of those who didn't help out bought toys for the kids.

The pay isn't very good but I work for a patriot. Working two jobs to pay the mortgage won't kill me. My uncles did it 30 years ago and they're still kicking.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful employer you have. You are blessed. We should all be blessed to work for such a patriot. However, here in "The Beltway" such employers are rare and hard to come by. You are blessed my friend! Thanks for sharing this. It is always so heartwarming to hear things like this! Priceless! Very Happy

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Doll.
I was home and watched it all unfold on Fox News. I think most everyone knew right away even when the first plane hit that this was no accident. The second strike left no doubt.
And then the horrific collapse.

I had been to the WTC twice before and kept getting images of the thousands of people who I knew had been obliberated in a few moments of time.

And then the images of the empty sky where once the two gleaming towers had stood was almost an overwhelming picture. Like a piece of America had been cut out and was just......gone.

God Bless all those who lost loved ones on that day.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: