SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French paper says bin Laden died in Pakistan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: French paper says bin Laden died in Pakistan Reply with quote

Quote:
French paper says bin Laden died in Pakistan
Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:54 AM BST

PARIS (Reuters) - A French regional newspaper quoted a French secret service report on Saturday as saying that Saudi Arabia is convinced that al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden died of typhoid in Pakistan last month.

L'Est Republicain printed what it said was a copy of the report dated September 21 and said it was shown to President Jacques Chirac, Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and France's interior and defence ministers on the same day.

"According to a usually reliable source, the Saudi services are now convinced that Osama bin Laden is dead," the document said.

"The information gathered by the Saudis indicates that the head of al Qaeda was a victim while he was in Pakistan on August 23, 2006, of a very serious case of typhoid which led to a partial paralysis of his internal organs."

The report, which was stamped with a "confidential defence" label and the initials of the French secret service, said Saudi Arabia first heard the information on September 4 and that it was waiting for more details before making an official announcement.

Officials contacted by Reuters in Chirac's and Villepin's offices had no immediate comment.

A senior official in Pakistan's interior ministry said: "We have no information about Osama's death."

Saudi-born Bin Laden was based in Afghanistan until the Taliban government there was overthrown by U.S.-backed forces in late 2001. Since then, U.S. and Pakistani officials have regularly said they believe he is hiding somewhere on the rugged border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The last videotaped message released by bin Laden was in late 2004, but there have been several low quality audio tapes released this year.

(Additional reporting by Islamabad bureau)

SBD
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have not heard Mr. Bush or anyone else high up in our government proclaim the event, it is just so much wishful thinking.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Since I have not heard Mr. Bush or anyone else high up in our government proclaim the event, it is just so much wishful thinking.

You have that right Jack! Sounds a lot like wishful thinking.............. Rolling Eyes

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A French regional newspaper quoted a French secret service report "

It appears French "secret" reports are about as secure as secret intelligence briefs are to a liberal American Senator.

Wink
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osama was a big spinach eater.
He used to wait weeks for smuggled bags of spinach from the US.
He didn't listen to the news I guess. Twisted Evil
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed/chagrined at the MSM's and Democrats' fascination with OBL (starting with our own nemisis: sKerry). It shows me that they have absolutely no clue what the WOT is about, or AQ's role in it. OBL, nonetheless, has become their symbol of the WOT (ignoring all the other terrorists who have no affiliation with AQ).

If I understand anything about AQ (and I think I do), it has always been, and continues even more so today, to be a franchized operation - meaning "central" command and control is minimal, by design. It will continue (though its success rate is TBD) after Osama bin Laden is dead.

Furthermore, as I understand things, OBL is, at most, merely the spiritual or symbolic head of AQ. If any of these commentators knew anything about the organization, and if one man can be pointed to as the single-most source of evil within it, it is Zawahiri (who appears to be their chief operations man). Yet no one ever talks about him. If Zawahiri were killed or captured it would - I think - have infinitely more impact on the AQ headquarters ability (such as it is) than OBL's death. Why is this never acknowledged or discussed? How honest can any discussion of AQ's role in the WOT be if Zawahiri's role is not even acknowledged?

I may be wrong, but anytime anybody talks or writes as if OBL's death meant anything in the WOT, then I think they are thereby showing their ignorance.

Now what I find amusing in the latest report of rumors, is that the French government has instigated a full-bore investigation of the leak of this information. What, you mean to tell me that the French have a problem with leaks to their MSM, and are taking vigorous steps to do something about it? For Heaven's sakes, don't anybody tell that to our Leftist estate, especially the NYT!!! It's, after all, the French that the Leftist estate, including sKerry, holds in such high regard!
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Bin Laden is more symbolic than we think. How else could the FBI post his Most Wanted Poster on their website and not even mention 911 as one of the crimes he is wanted for.

USAMA BIN LADEN

Quote:
MURDER OF U.S. NATIONALS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES; CONSPIRACY TO MURDER U.S. NATIONALS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES; ATTACK ON A FEDERAL FACILITY RESULTING IN DEATH

Quote:
CAUTION

USAMA BIN LADEN IS WANTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE AUGUST 7, 1998, BOMBINGS OF THE UNITED STATES EMBASSIES IN DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA, AND NAIROBI, KENYA. THESE ATTACKS KILLED OVER 200 PEOPLE. IN ADDITION, BIN LADEN IS A SUSPECT IN OTHER TERRORIST ATTACKS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.

SBD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: