SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bill Clinton's military career

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Bill Clinton's military career Reply with quote

hopefully, someone can fill in some details.

Bill Clinton signed up for Army ROTC in August 1969
...I don't know for sure, he signed something. Is that
the deal, to get a draft deferment?

my online sources for this are kinda thin, perhaps someone has better info and cites.

I would guess, that as grad student, he was offered the
last two years of the ordinarily four-year course??

was there classroom activities, in addition to summer camp?

He was, sworn in, to the reserves?
What is the procedure here, he 'takes a step forward,
and he is inducted?

Then he doesn't show up, and somehow gets '''dropped''' ?
Does he get 'discharged'?
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help.
Excerpts from David Maraniss’s Clinton book ( pub 1995) as appeared in The Washington Post on Feb. 6, 1995. This is a really long read. The 1st of the 2 parts delves into the draft, deferments, etc.
"First in His Class" Excerpts, By David Maraniss
Washington Post Archives

tossing in another tidbit -- while Kerry was marching in DC with the Moratorium crowd's anti-war rally on Oct 15, 1969, Clinton particpated in the London version of the anti-war rallys
Bill Clinton's Dec. 3, 1969 Letter to ROTC Colonel
Quote:
........Almost daily since my return to England I have thought about writing, about what I want to and ought to say. First, I want to thank you, not just for saving me from the draft,

<snip>

I have written and spoken and marched against the war. One of the national organizers of the Vietnam Moratorium is a close friend of mine. After I left Arkansas last summer, I went to Washington to work in the national headquarters of the Moratorium, then to England to organize the Americans here for demonstrations Oct. 15 and Nov.16.
link
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even then, Clinton failed to have the courage of his convictions. The following has always stuck in my mind as a demonstration of Clinton's prowess in keeping his rhetorical skirts clean...a dissembler of the first order...

Quote:
I am writing too in the hope that my telling this one story will help you to understand more clearly how so many fine people have come to find themselves still loving their country but loathing the military, to which you and other good men have devoted years, lifetimes, of the best service you could give. To many of us, it is no longer clear what is service and what is disservice, or if it is clear, the conclusion is likely to be illegal.

"So many fine people..." - fine people like who , you?

"...find themselves...loathing the military" - Certainly not you, of course...THOSE guys.

"...many of us..." - There's another more appropriate word for anyone with the guts to use it..."me".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: