SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheesecake Factory, Serving Beans Fit for the Gulag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Cheesecake Factory, Serving Beans Fit for the Gulag Reply with quote

Cheesecake Factory, Serving Beans Fit for the Gulag

Recently discovered this restaurant and according to the girl who greeted me it is a higher…something. Her words got lost in deep thought while responding to my declaring the restaurant “a new take on Bennigans." She must have meant to say it is a higher end establishment. As long as they have clean wait staff, a clean kitchen and fresh food they are high end in my estimation.

After sitting at the bar and ordering a mango tea from the bardood, a most dutiful, cute and young bartemptress asked if she could be of any assistance.

“Of course”, “What is your favorite dish?”

Settling on the chicken enchiladas, a large mass of food warning from the temptress removed any thoughts of an appetizer. When the food arrived it was on a large plate and after a few minutes the server asked,

“And how is the food?”

“Considering the amount of cheese and beans pellagra shouldn’t be an issue, yet from the initial bites of the enchilada an abundance of corn and lack of chicken did give me pause.”

Curiously, she asked “What will not be an issue?” “Pellagra, a disease common to Native Americans before we introduced balanced nutrition to the savages and more recently the North Korean gulags where prisoners are served corn gruel. Better then the potato and rice gruel served within the Soviet, Vietnamese, Lao and Cambodian gulags, yet rather nasty once pellagra sets in. The lucky ones are those resourceful enough to catch rats and supplement their meals with the meat. Do you know how to re-use a trap once you catch a rat?” “No” “Well my dear, once you capture a rat the trap needs to be de-scented and the only practical way to do that if you happen to be a gulag prisoner is to place the trap over a fire. A minute will do and voila, the trap is ready for more tasty critters.”

A roll of the eyes and the bartemptress walked away. Hopefully, she will never need to fire up a rat trap. My plate was pathetic. A very large dish which consisted of beans and the other half cheese covered corn wraps with a couple pieces of chicken. Most amazingly the beans were single layered and with such a large shallow plate gave the impression of great abundance. I felt conned, yet could not help but feel for the Koreans now in my mind. Right now as I ate this bountiful meal of corn, cheese and beans, somewhere across the world a Korean was in prison possibly for being an artist or an erudite. Maybe it was a woman who refused to abort her baby or a person who forgot to preface Kim Jong Ill’s name with Our Glorious Divine Supreme Leader.

Remember three things. Cheesecake Factory sucks, the American gulag system will most assuredly feature beans as the main staple and when re-using your rat trap remember to heat it for about sixty seconds in the pit fire without burning the wood and it will be good for another tasty rodent.
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a scream Laughing

Thanks for the heads-up on the Cheesecake Factory.

As an aside, my wife and I dine out quite a bit, now that the kids are no longer kids. It used to be that whenever that inevitable question was asked ("How is everything?"), one of us would quickly answer "Okay" or somesuch.

But now we pause, in case the other wants to weigh in. It's funny to watch the reaction.

Sometimes the server really cares. It can't hurt to tell the truth. Besides, the tip isn't based on what the kitchen turns out.

Anyway, with so many restaurants in the Greater Boston area to chose from, I appreciate your comments.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a considerable amount of restaurants here locally as well. Like others, the kids are grown, out of the house and it's just me and my wife. We eat out more than either of us used to as well.

We look for good service and good food as well as a clean eatery. It also iimpresses us that we are remembered at establishments we visit more often and greeted as old friends instead of just another diner. So far, only one restaurant fails to recognize us after several repeated visits and we stopped going.

Last evening, we visited another restaurant for the first time, to celebrate our birthdays (lucky me, we share a birthday) and both left full and very impressed. For you Pacific Northwesterners, Little Italy's in Vancouver comes highly recommended by us.

The wait staff was friendly, courteous, prompt and not pushy. The food was hot, stayed hot all through dinner and neither too much or not enough. I had Vitello (veal) Parmigiana and my wife had Manicotti. Total bill, with tax, was $30.00.

The one we no longer visit, El Tapatio (sorry, we have no shortage of Mexican Restaurants here). Wink
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much fun it is to eat out! However, although our kids are grown we still have an eight year old - our wee one has his own ideas about eating out -- Mickey D's or Burger King. Laughing Being middle aged we cannot indulge in such 'healthy (not)' cuisine--so our wee one gets his 'kids meal' while we watch him eat. But we have not lost hope!

There is "The Great American Steakhouse" here in the D.C. area and it is affordable and it is also an all you can eat! My little boy does enjoy that--he loves their deserts and being able to make his own creation of a 'banana split'! So all is not lost--we can still eat out sometimes - affordably at thirty dollars for the three of us and I do not have to cook!

Do not misunderstand me, I truly am one of those people that loves to cook--but boy do I enjoy a break when I get one!

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"

Last edited by Doll on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this Chinese place in Peoria - Mongolian B-B-Que. Get a
bowl (kahn, great kahn, barbarian) and load it up from a buffet
with all kinds of fresh ingrediants, pile it up with two kinds of noodles,
add sauces to taste and hand to the chef who performs on a large,
round grill. At the table will be a bowl of rice, a bowl of egg drop
soup, and your beverage.

The War Department and I usually go with our older kid, her husband,
two grandkids, and the other set of grand parents. One of the most
enjoyable places that I've been to in ages. We all love the place. Very Happy
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe wrote:
There's this Chinese place in Peoria - Mongolian B-B-Que. Get a
bowl (kahn, great kahn, barbarian) and load it up from a buffet
with all kinds of fresh ingrediants, pile it up with two kinds of noodles,
add sauces to taste and hand to the chef who performs on a large,
round grill. At the table will be a bowl of rice, a bowl of egg drop
soup, and your beverage.

The War Department and I usually go with our older kid, her husband,
two grandkids, and the other set of grand parents. One of the most
enjoyable places that I've been to in ages. We all love the place. Very Happy

yummy, I wanna try that place Smile
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr,

For enchiladas it's a taco factory. For cheese cake it's a bakery.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: