SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foley, Studds and Frank. A study in selective outrage.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Foley, Studds and Frank. A study in selective outrage. Reply with quote

We all know by now that Rep. Mark Foley (R-FL) has resigned from the House because he engaged in some inappropriate instant messaging with a 16 year-old male House page. It's alleged that the Speaker, Mr. Hastert, knew about this and took no action.

This story is being viewed by the usual Dem mouthpieces as a perfect example of the 'culture of corruption' which has consumed the Majority. But there were the cases of Reps. Gerry Studds and Barney Frank (both D-MA's, by the way) who committed far worse crimes and continued to enjoy re-election and positions of power in the Dem caucus.

John Hinderaker of PowerLine summarizes what's known about the Foley matter and compares his transgressions with those of Studds and Frank:

Quote:
<snip>....the starting point is to figure out what Foley did. As far as I can tell from the news stories I've read, there is no claim that Foley did anything with any House page. The claim is that he sent inappropriate emails to one or more pages. These emails were described to Hastert, apparently, as "over friendly," but he was also told that the family of the page in question "didn't want the matter pursued." I've never been Speaker of the House, but I can imagine that such a conversation would not be among the most significant Hastert has had in the last year, and would not necessarily make a deep impression. Foley was, I take it, generally assumed to be gay.

Our younger readers may not be aware that House pages have figured in several scandals over the years. Congressman Gerry Studds (D-MA) had an affair with a teenage male page that, I believe, included sex within the precincts of the Capitol Building. Studds refused to admit that he had done anything wrong, and turned his back on the House when it censured him for this misconduct in 1983. The voters in Studds's district didn't seem to mind; they continued to re-elect him until he retired in 1996. He is remembered mainly as a pioneering crusader for gay rights.

Then there is Barney Frank, who was reprimanded by the House for using his Congressional office to intervene on behalf of his boyfriend, a homosexual prostitute, to dispose of at least 33 parking tickets. The boyfriend also ran a prostitution ring out of Frank's house. Today, Frank is one of the most powerful members of the Democrats' House caucus.

So I'm not particularly surprised that Foley wrote some "over-friendly"--I'm sure I would find them creepy--emails to one or more underage pages. He has resigned, which is appropriate. Studds and Franks should have resigned, too. But, in view of the history of far more egregious cases in the House, the idea of pursuing the House leadership on a "when did they find out that Foley sent a creepy email" basis seems ludicrous, and is understandable only in the context of two facts: Foley is a Republican, and there is an election in five weeks.

The pursuit will occur and the MSM will play it for all it's worth.

Schadow
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting perspective on all this Foley and the Blame Game
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
An interesting perspective on all this Foley and the Blame Game

The article you linked made pretty clear that the Dem dirty tricks operation is alive and well. What Foley did was reprehensible but trying to implicate the House leadership is worse. I particularly liked the closing paragraph of the American Thinker piece:

Quote:
As for the demand that a special prosecutor be appointed, maybe Patrick Fitzgerald can be appointed. Then he can fail to ask ABC or C.R.E.W.[Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington] how they got the correspondence, ignore their political motivations, conflate their partisanship with “whistleblowing”, not look for the sources of the later sexually explicit emails, and nab Hastert for forgetting when he went to the bathroom on the day he heard about the emails.

Schadow
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me understand this. Foley sends e mail to adults. These emails are a biit out of color but not illegal from whaat I have seen on the internet. Ted Kennedy using hii email plots using his power to influence the results of a case involving the ability of children more qualiffied than others to get a college education. This was done at the behest of the NAACP.

But the real guestion I have is which would you more consider sex an email or a bj? Now we know what theee dems believe.
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He never sent them when they were pages, They were sent after they obtained the age of reason. Big differrence.
wonhyo
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Studds, Frank, and Foley Reply with quote

Didn't a young man die in Barney Franks house? But he didn't know that his boyfriend ran an ILLEGAL PROSTITUTION RING, even though it was his house.
So if you are a Democrat you:
Can drown someone
Can run a prostitution ring
Can hide $90,000. in your freezer
Can have your husbands company build a tunnel in boston, that fails, with huge cost overruns
Can have a river diverted, so you can water your landscape
Can have sex in the oval officewith an intern , lie under oath
Can be a leader in the KKK
Can offer abortion on demand
Can take money and trips from Saddam

But if you are a Republican you:
Can not mention God
Can not pray in public
Can not declare War on Islamists
Can not build borders
Can not protect your mother's heritage
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all a pathetic side show for some Dems to play up to the hilt. Irregardless of who did worse than so and so it was and is wrong. What the real problem is, is that both parties are smearing each other to win the mid-term election to keep their party in power or over throw the opposite party, in this case the Republican majority - and unfortunately some sick Dems are going wild with this issue.

The creation of our two party system was so that the people would come together and work together. Though there has always been a divide between both parties some Dems have completely taken this to an outrageous level of sex, lies, and video tapes and made a mockery out of our judicial system.

It appears that some Dems do not care about - 'for the people, by the people'. It also occurred to me that some Dems are more interested in dirt, smut, and garbage. At this rate we can only hope for the best in November and really keep a vigilant watch towards 2008.

I am disappointed to say the least in Foley's actions irregardless if the male was of age and or - no longer a page. It was totally inappropriate and yes there are some Dems who did far worse--"Clinton/Lewinsky", but two wrongs do not make a right.

I truly wish our officials that we have elected would stick to the business of governing our country, seeking more the peoples good and the good of our country instead of turning our Senate and Capitol halls into a turnpike of mud slinging and sex scandals. What a mockery and far worse-an insult to the American people who elected these morons affording them the privilege to represent us.

Sigh.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doll wrote:
This is all a pathetic side show for some Dems to play up to the hilt. Irregardless of who did worse than so and so it was and is wrong. What the real problem is, is that both parties are smearing each other to win the mid-term election to keep their party in power or over throw the opposite party, in this case the Republican majority - and unfortunately some sick Dems are going wild with this issue.

The creation of our two party system was so that the people would come together and work together. Though there has always been a divide between both parties some Dems have completely taken this to an outrageous level of sex, lies, and video tapes and made a mockery out of our judicial system.

It appears that some Dems do not care about - 'for the people, by the people'. It also occurred to me that some Dems are more interested in dirt, smut, and garbage. At this rate we can only hope for the best in November and really keep a vigilant watch towards 2008.

I am disappointed to say the least in Foley's actions irregardless if the male was of age and or - no longer a page. It was totally inappropriate and yes there are some Dems who did far worse--"Clinton/Lewinsky", but two wrongs do not make a right.

I truly wish our officials that we have elected would stick to the business of governing our country, seeking more the peoples good and the good of our country instead of turning our Senate and Capitol halls into a turnpike of mud slinging and sex scandals. What a mockery and far worse-an insult to the American people who elected these morons affording them the privilege to represent us.

Sigh.

I think it is a perverse action of the this individual and I believe the Republicans did try to cover it up. If so, why they would sit and let this story break just 5 weeks before elections is GD stupid. If they lose the House or the Senate, then they deserve it.

This was and is a pervert who will go to jail I hope and I hope Bubba gets his A.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
I think it is a perverse action of the this individual and I believe the Republicans did try to cover it up. If so, why they would sit and let this story break just 5 weeks before elections is GD stupid. If they lose the House or the Senate, then they deserve it.

This was and is a pervert who will go to jail I hope and I hope Bubba gets his A.

Agreed. It proves my point that two wrongs do not make a right. Irregardless if they are Republican or Democrat what Foley did was wrong and Republicans covering up for him is worse, but then the Democrats are guilty of the same behavior.

Perverts, pedophiles, people that exploit their position for sex should have no place in government and that goes for Dems and Republicans. Sins of the heart and mind transcends party loyalty and have served to prove "party stupidity" on both ends of the spectrum.

It is shamefully disgusting.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!

IMHO Foley was a despicable person who apparently committed unconsciousable acts. His resignation certainly suggests his own admittance of some guilt in all this. But please remember the principle of "innocent until proven guilty": as more and more is coming to light what he did might be found to be not illegal, and there is starting to emerge some evidence that suggests some of the damning evidence against him might be tainted.

But however bad the case may be against Foley, we have to be careful that our moral outrage doesn't lead us into the trap of conflating his sins with that of Republican leadership, whose role in this mess may turn out to be relatively blameless.

IMHO this is starting to look more and more like an orchestrated and managed Democrat ambush. There are two sets of evidence against Foley - one set in emails that do seem, in retrospect, to have been "strange," and another set that are positively damning (though, to my knowledge, no one seems to have authenticated the latter). MSM and the Democrats are deliberately confusing these two sets in their reporting to suggest that the second, damning, set was known to the Republican leadership for some time, when, in fact, it now appears that the Republican leadership only knew about them (the second set) last week. It is also looking more and more that someone on the Democrat side knew of the damaging emails for months before revealing them, making their role in this mess almost as bad as Foley's.

Foley is the epicenter of this mess, and is surely guilty to some degree. But I'd recommend reserving judgment about "guilt" or "innocence" of anyone else until more facts are revealed, stacked and sorted, and by "facts" I mean information from trusted sources, which does not include the agenda-driven media or the Democrats.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
Whoa!

IMHO Foley was a despicable person who apparently committed unconsciousable acts. His resignation certainly suggests his own admittance of some guilt in all this. But please remember the principle of "innocent until proven guilty": as more and more is coming to light what he did might be found to be not illegal, and there is starting to emerge some evidence that suggests some of the damning evidence against him might be tainted.

But however bad the case may be against Foley, we have to be careful that our moral outrage doesn't lead us into the trap of conflating his sins with that of Republican leadership, whose role in this mess may turn out to be relatively blameless.

IMHO this is starting to look more and more like an orchestrated and managed Democrat ambush. There are two sets of evidence against Foley - one set in emails that do seem, in retrospect, to have been "strange," and another set that are positively damning (though, to my knowledge, no one seems to have authenticated the latter). MSM and the Democrats are deliberately confusing these two sets in their reporting to suggest that the second, damning, set was known to the Republican leadership for some time, when, in fact, it now appears that the Republican leadership only knew about them (the second set) last week. It is also looking more and more that someone on the Democrat side knew of the damaging emails for months before revealing them, making their role in this mess almost as bad as Foley's.

Foley is the epicenter of this mess, and is surely guilty to some degree. But I'd recommend reserving judgment about "guilt" or "innocence" of anyone else until more facts are revealed, stacked and sorted, and by "facts" I mean information from trusted sources, which does not include the agenda-driven media or the Democrats.

Point well taken. However I was pointing out that both parties have their fair share of scandals and that party affiliation should not matter and it should not turn into a Dem/Republican fight. But it already has thanks to some Dems and a hungry media.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
IMHO this is starting to look more and more like an orchestrated and managed Democrat ambush.

Anker is correct, of course. And we can be sure that this case is only one of many that the Dems have lined up for exploiting in the coming weeks.

Ever wonder what became of "cold cash" William Jefferson (D-La)? He was gently urged to resign by the House Minority leadership but refused even in the face of a plea bargain by an associate who fingered Jefferson for accepting some $400,000 in bribes for using his office to facilitate overseas business contracts. Jefferson will be reelected in November. I'm not sure he even has an opponent.

Inappropriate personal behavior by a congressman, if involving moral turpitude, is unforgivable and should be dealt with appropriately as in the case of Foley. Cases such as Jefferson's seem totally off the radar screens of the MSM.

Likewise, criminal leaks of classified security information have become regarded as a normal thing, especially if the recipients are the press who effectively sell the information to their readers and exult in Pulitzers for the reporters receiving the information. The Attorney General seems powerless to stem this ugly and dangerous tide.

As I've said before, if the Democrats fail in this coming election they well might not recover for a generation. They will stop at NOTHING to see that not happen. And the press will be in their pocket all the way.

Schadow
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the list of infamous congressional sex criminals one must add the name of congressman Mel Reynolds (D-IL) who had a dalliance with a 16 year-old campaign worker. The excellent urban legends detectives, Snopes.com, confirms the following (emphasis mine) under the title, "Reynolds Rap":

Quote:
Jessie Jackson has added former Chicago Democratic congressman Mel Reynolds to the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition's payroll. Reynolds was among the 176 criminals excused in President Clinton's last minute forgiveness spree. Reynolds received a commutation of his six-and-a-half year federal sentence for 15 convictions of wire fraud, bank fraud & lies to the Federal Election Commission. He is more notorious, however, for concurrently serving five years for sleeping with an underage campaign volunteer.

This is a first in American politics: An ex-congressman who had sex with a subordinate won clemency from a president who had sex with a subordinate, then was hired by a clergyman who had sex with a subordinate.

His new job? Youth Counselor

Snopes has a thoroughly documented page on all this (first written in 2001 with update in 2005) with appropriate links. Snopes does say, however, that Reynolds' job with Jackson should be more accurately described as "advisor on prison reform".

Snopes

I'm beginning to think the Dems may soon come to regret opening this particular can of worms.

Schadow
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
I'm beginning to think the Dems may soon come to regret opening this particular can of worms.

Exactly, selective memory and the old "oh it is okay if it was a Dem, but it is not okay when it is a Republican." What a bunch of hypocrites.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Democrat Party and its gunners (the liberal media and the far left groups) are trying to do everything they could to win the 2006 elections. I am not so sure whether this news will turn off the conservatives base and the independent voters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: