SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Colin Powell warned Bush of Iraq quagmire: book"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: "Colin Powell warned Bush of Iraq quagmire: book" Reply with quote

Gosh, yet another Bush-bashing book. Are we about to have an election or something? The carping is becoming deafening...

Quote:
Colin Powell warned Bush of Iraq quagmire: book

Former US secretary of state Colin Powell warned President George W. Bush he was facing a difficult insurgency in Iraq in their final meeting in January 2005, a new biography of Powell claims.

Washington Post associate editor Karen DeYoung, in an excerpt from her forthcoming biography of the former US chief diplomat in the Post Sunday, said Powell told Bush that the coming Iraqi elections and US promotion of democracy for the country were not likely to quell the insurgency.

He also warned that divisions between the State Department and the politically more powerful Department of Defense were undermining Bush's global diplomatic efforts, including in problem areas like the North Korean nuclear problem and the Arab-Israeli conflict.

However, DeYoung wrote, Powell, who had been asked by the White House to resign several weeks before, found Bush dismissive and unconcerned, as unwilling to heed his top diplomat's warnings as he had been for the previous four years.

Powell afterward called the meeting, a formal final face-to-face between the two men before Powell would be replaced by Condoleezza Rice, as "really strange", DeYoung said. "The president didn't know why I was there," Powell said.

DeYoung's Powell biography, "Soldier: The Life of Colin Powell", to be released October 10, is among a number of new books which tear into the Bush administration's policy-making and handling of the Iraq invasion and occupation.

Yahoo News - cont'd
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Powell do anything else to lose my respect? He seems to be trying.

Hate to tell the retired General, but when he signed on as "Secretary," he agreed to a subservient position. Secretary of State does not comtrol the President.

However, his "revelation" is hardly news given the instant opposition and undermining we have been seeing since Bush stood up to Saddam. It's almost like they were going to make sure it was a quagmire and more difficult that thought.

They did it to us in Viet Nam and they are doing to our Troops today.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and Lew seem to have covered my sentiments. On a personal note, I never much cared for Colin Powell. This only serves to confirm that Powell like the rest are out to bash Bush.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doll wrote:
You and Lew seem to have covered my sentiments. On a personal note, I never much cared for Colin Powell. This only serves to confirm that Powell like the rest are out to bash Bush.

I am personally partial to Powell, if you look at his history he has always been a Warrior in VN and the First Gulf War. The Iraq war is not the typical war like WW2, it is like VN. No one wears a uniform except the US or the Iraqi army, so he should have warned the POTUS what might happen and it did.

I do not see us fighting like the first Gulf War, to destroy the enemy but more like VN and let the locals fight and hope they win. The statement "Win the Hearts and Minds" still makes me shudder. Did anyone care about the Germans or the Japanese during WW2, no just kill em.

We are more worried about the US body count before this election it seems, just as it was in VN. We have to think the liberals and the left wingers for this and the msm.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
We are more worried about the US body count before this election it seems, just as it was in VN. We have to think the liberals and the left wingers for this and the msm.

You most certainly are right on with this. Furthermore, I was rather young during the Viet Nam War. But if my memory is serving me correctly, I do recall that for years during the war every night when my Dad had on the evening news they were doing body counts. I do not know if body counts were that prevalent during the Korean War and WW11 or even WW1 as for that matter. Yet when I think about the Nam Era I recall all those body counts and being told by my Dad - who is a Korean War Veteran that more men were lost during WW11 than in Nam. He also made it clear that these liberals dousing the public with their body counts and such forget that though loss of life under any circumstances is sad, that the fact remains more men were lost in Nam than in Iraq and Afghanistan combined together.

So my question then is, what is all the uproar about? It would seem to me that these liberals should be thanking God that the body count is not nearly as catastrophic as in previous wars. Doesn't that fact account for how far our military and tools they are provided have kept that count so much lower than in the past?

I do not relish war, any war, but my God it is to be expected to have casualties of war. These liberal whooses are sickening and pathetic-not to mention the serious divide and derision they have created within our nation.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Hey ya Ms Doll! Reply with quote

Your father is correct on the 'Nam counts. In 1999 (?) Hanoi in an effort to re-gain "most favorable trade status" turned over their combat casualty figures for NVA & Viet Minh (VC) soldiers at a staggering 2.2 million.

Skerry convinced them to do so by the way,lol. Go figure, huh?

US casualty figures for the same period were 58,400 (?). I may off on that just a tad. I located that fact while doing research for a life changing event of mine and used it in a story I've written about the event.

My sincerest apologies if this upsets anyone in any way or manner. My story is about heart disease and not combat, specificaly aortal aneurysm's.

My wife had one that took her life in 2000. I only used the figures for illustration only, not to stir up anti war feelings or dis-honor the men & women that gave all in that period of time.

I am an era vet (tailend of "Nam) myself. If you like, post a message & I will gladly e-mail anyone the story to review for themselves so's there's no confusion.

Thanks, garryowen!
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and my sincerest sympathy on the loss of your wife.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: