SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Kerry's '72 Army Comments Mirror Latest"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: "Kerry's '72 Army Comments Mirror Latest" Reply with quote

This amazes me...not so much for the content (which, however, is certainly salient), but for the fact that the AP!!! has chosen to go with this story just when Kerry, the DNC and the MSM thought they had put this story to bed. Equally intriguing is AP's willingness to protect the identity of the "former law enforcement official" who slipped them this morsel.

And Drudge is going with it at the TOP!....(emphasis mine)

Quote:
Kerry's '72 Army Comments Mirror Latest
Nov 2, 3:12 AM (ET)
By JOHN SOLOMON

WASHINGTON (AP) - During a Vietnam-era run for Congress three decades ago, John Kerry said he opposed a volunteer Army because it would be dominated by the underprivileged, be less accountable and be more prone to "the perpetuation of war crimes."

Kerry, a decorated Vietnam veteran who turned against the war, made the observations in answers to a 1972 candidate questionnaire from a Massachusetts peace group.

After Kerry caused a firestorm this week with what he termed a botched campaign joke that Republicans said insulted current soldiers, The Associated Press was alerted to the historical comments by a former law enforcement official who monitored 1970s anti-war activities

Kerry apologized Wednesday for the 2006 campaign trail gaffe that some took as suggesting U.S. soldiers fighting in Iraq were undereducated. He contended the remark was aimed at Bush, not the soldiers.

In 1972, as he ran for the House, he was less apologetic in his comments
(ed. Ouch! That will leave a mark) about the merits of a volunteer army. He declared in the questionnaire that he opposed the draft but considered a volunteer army "a greater anathema."

"I am convinced a volunteer army would be an army of the poor and the black and the brown," Kerry wrote. "We must not repeat the travesty of the inequities present during Vietnam. I also fear having a professional army that views the perpetuation of war crimes as simply 'doing its job.'

"Equally as important, a volunteer army with our present constitutional crisis takes accountability away from the president and put the people further from control over military activities," he wrote.

Kerry's spokesman, David Wade, said Wednesday the historical document needed to be viewed in the era in which it was written but that it nonetheless raised a "bedrock question in a time of war when sacrifice should be shared by all Americans."

"These are the words 34 years ago of a 28-year-old veteran home from a war gone wrong, wondering who in America will bear the cost of battle and shoulder the responsibility of military service," Wade said.

Kerry filled out the candidate questionnaire at the request of Massachusetts Political Action for Peace, an anti-war group that decades later turned over its historical documents to university researchers.

AP obtained the document from someone who gathered it from archives during Kerry's unsuccessful 2004 presidential campaign against President Bush. Republicans in that election relentlessly assailed Kerry's role in the anti-war movement decades earlier.

Kerry and Bush renewed their rivalry again this week, with the president accusing Kerry of offending troops. Kerry said he botched the text of a joke and didn't mean to insult troops.

On Wednesday, Kerry canceled campaign appearance on behalf of Democratic congressional candidates and issued an apology.

MyWay.com
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, was surprised at this AP article/"revelation." But - call me paranoid about the MSM - I have deep suspicions about why AP wrote and published this article.

For 40 years I've watched the anti-war crowd attempt to rationalize and self-justify their selfish lack of duty, patriotism, and honor. Starting with the draft dodgers in the mid 60's, their excuse was that they were smarter than those who got drafted, i.e., they were intellectually superior. In one form or another, this has been the standard line to justify their own cowardness and/or selfish refusal to contribute anything of themselves as vested American citizens. People who actually do serve in the military are seen by the rationalizers and self-justifiers as a threat to their superiority rationalization, hence their knee-jerk defence is to malign those who do exercise their duty as citizens. (Needless to say, and as we all know, sKerry has been aligned with the anti-war crowd since before he received his commission.)

The AP almost single-handedly created Cindy Sheehan and elevated her to prominence, and all their other "news" articles dealing with the War on Terror (to include Iraq) have been commentaries and editorials with a decided anti-war bias (masquerading as "news"). So pardon me if I'm confused why AP would seem to have awakened this morning having seen the light.

Anyone else confused by this article, or suspicious of the motivation?
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago used to think the AP was a legit news org, now everything you
see in print is part of somebodys agenda. So with that premise I will
speculate that this story is the equivalence of Tom Hagen of Godfather I
leaving a horse's head in the movie producers bed.

The Democrats are very mad at Kerry and want to be sure he never returns.

That story was a warning to him. It could have come from Hitlary.

It wasn't unbiased reporting, timing is everything and that was timed.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NortonPete wrote:
That story was a warning to him. It could have come from Hitlary.

Precisely.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NortonPete wrote:

It wasn't unbiased reporting, timing is everything and that was timed.

Agreed! They sat on the article for 2 years! Rolling Eyes
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
I, too, was surprised at this AP article/"revelation." But - call me paranoid about the MSM - I have deep suspicions about why AP wrote and published this article.

For 40 years I've watched the anti-war crowd attempt to rationalize and self-justify their selfish lack of duty, patriotism, and honor. ..............
Anyone else confused by this article, or suspicious of the motivation?

Anker,
I'm with you on this one, tho' more suspicious (I think you're being too generous with 'confused') than anything else. Suspicious that in offering up this rehash of sKerry's war protestor days they can 'energize' their own base of anti-America Bush haters...why it hasn't sunk in yet that they're in the enemies bead as much as we are.... that's the confusing part! Looks like the line's gonna be long at the polls next week!

Deuce
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deuce wrote:
Quote:
Looks like the line's gonna be long at the polls next week!

Man I hope you're right. We all know Kerry has pissed off the vets, and also pissed off the people serving now. I just hope he has also pissed off the regular Joes out there who never served and still appreciate what our country is all about.

If they come out and vote, if middle America gets its act together, we won't see Nancy Pelosi two hearbeats away from the Presidency.

Let's hope and pray those leftie comedians are right, that Kerry has managed to lose an election he isn't even running in.

Twisted Evil
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of figure Hillary knows what's in Kerry military file...and has copies !

and was gonna use them against him in 08 if he ran... maybe she brought
out some ammunition early ! (not that that info would have been in his
file...). I'm sure she has a big stash of weapons against him...
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: