SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saddam Guilty, Death by Hanging
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Saddam Guilty, Death by Hanging Reply with quote

Foxnews reporting the sentencing of Saddam and 7 co-defendants now.

1 acquited, 3 receive 15 years, one receives life, and three, including Saddam and his half-brother, death by hanging.

No link availabe yet.

UPDATE: Al Jazeera running reports now
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now showing on CNN cable TV, just watched the verdict and though he tried his macho bluster, the look in his eyes had that "I'm screwed." look of fear.

Saddam wanted to take the honorable way out and be shot by firing squad if found guilty, but like nuremburg so many decades before, this war criminal isn't getting that opportunity - he's going out like the common rat he is - on the end of a rope.

security boys better be on their toes for this one, both to keep him from being rescued, and to keep him on 24/7 suicide watch just in case.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxnews Online reporting story now. Says clashes broke out immediately in north Baghdad's heavily Sunni Azamiyah district.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the appeals process under Iraqi law is about as glacial as in the U.S. John Hinderaker writes in Power Line:

Quote:
SADDAM TO HANG? DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH

Saddam Hussein was sentenced to death yesterday by the court that has been trying him for, what? The last year or two? Shia Iraqis generally celebrated the verdict; Sunnis generally didn't. But the appeal of this particular sentence could take another year, and prosecutors are said to be preparing "numerous other cases." Great. At this pace, Saddam may yet die of natural causes.

As I've written before, the whole idea of "trying" Saddam is foolish. His countless crimes are known to the Iraqi people, and the world, beyond the ability of any judicial proceeding to prove or disprove. The only potential question of fact is whether the man in the dock is the tyrant Saddam, and that fact is not disputed.

Saddam should have been shot years ago. A commission of inquiry, not a court, should have been established to interview witnesses and make an official record off Saddam's reign. Keeping Saddam alive, more or less forever, contributes to keeping the Sunni insurgency alive, more or less forever. At this point, dispensing with Saddam is far more important than treating the Iraqis to "numerous" additional prosecutions.

Source

Schadow
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting sidebar, re the FOK* Clark, kicked out of the courtroom for contempt.

Aljazeera via countercurrents
Quote:

<snip>
Lawyer ejected

Ramsey Clark, Saddam's most outspoken American defender and a former US attorney general, was thrown out of the trial on Sunday and accused of insulting the people of Iraq.

Clark, a member of Saddam's defence team and a strident critic of the conduct of his trial at the Iraqi HighTribunal, attended the start of the session but was ejected before Saddam was sentenced to death by hanging.

"Get him out of the hall. He came from America to ridicule the Iraqi people and ridicule the court," Judge Raud Abdel Rahman said. "A bad arrow returns to the chest of its shooter."

After the hearing, chief prosecutor Jaafar al-Mussawi told reporters that the court would file a complaint against Clark with the American bar association, and also accused him of contempt.

"Clark submitted a study containing phrases humiliating to the Iraqi people and subsequently the court had no option but to take a decision to dismiss him from the session," Mussawi said at a news conference.

FOK* Vietnam war protesting traitorous, commie collaborating Friend Of Kerry
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saddam and company deserve much worse....much, much worse.

Recently, I stumbled across an article I had never seen before. The article, The Great Terror, dated March 2002, is a long read, but if you haven't read it before now, it's well worth the time.

The Great Terror

Peace be with you.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard he asked for a firing squad. I would have yold him yes, we will shoot you right after the hanging and right before the beheading. Anything else you want???
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was months ago,but I heard by Iraqi law that they have 30 days to carry out punishment,so all the following trials are moot.A year or two back an Iraqi woman said it best,she said put him out in public so everyone can have a little piece of him! Crying or Very sad Wink
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's a death penalty, by Iraqi law it is automatically appealed. From what I hear on the news, there is no time limit for the appeal to be completed, but once it is and if it is upheld, then they have 30 days to carry out the sentence.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shucks,I hope your wrong Lew! I would like to see him swing during halftime at the superbowl,It would'nt be as good as a wardrobe malfunction---but with beer and chips---what the hey! Shocked
Mustang0302
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Saddam to be Hanged By The Neck Until Dead Reply with quote

How about we hang him from the boom of a M-88 in Firdos Square, then drag his filthy carcass down the street, with kids slapping it with their shoes...
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate wrote:
Interesting sidebar, re the FOK* Clark, kicked out of the courtroom for contempt.

FOK* Vietnam war protesting traitorous, commie collaborating Friend Of Kerry

I'm struck by the natural genius of this term "FOK* Ramsey Clark. "
( remember the * )

This is an original and new form of communication that thankfully eclipses the profane world.

I can say FOK* Pelosi, FOK* Schumer, and FOK* Rangel.
>This allows the polite FOK* Vietnam war protesting traitorous, commie collaborating Friend Of Kerry

conversation with a *. I think this is an important advancement of the English language.

I will use this going forward. I have a bit of a speech impediment and I don't really
know how to pronounce "*" .

Laughing
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm struck by the natural genius of this term "FOK* Ramsey Clark. "
LOL Pete

Have to give credit to FReepers who've been using that as an acronyn for Friend of Kerry for a while (they omit the asterik)

Wink
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

becca1223 wrote:
Saddam and company deserve much worse....much, much worse.

Recently, I stumbled across an article I had never seen before. The article, The Great Terror, dated March 2002, is a long read, but if you haven't read it before now, it's well worth the time.

The Great Terror

Peace be with you.

Geez Becca, that was chilling. I read through the whole thing and could only think about the "what if" scenario of a terrorist attack on one of our cities.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that the Democrat Leaders are comng out in favor of Saddam's sentence, yet each include a bash against Bush and say that his sentence changes nothing about the War on Terror? Yet, these same Democrats all state that capturing Bin Laden will change everything.

Couldn't be them once again speaking out of both sides of their mouths to politicize the war, could it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: