SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone here know the truth behind the Rawanda Genocide?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Anyone here know the truth behind the Rawanda Genocide? Reply with quote

I remember when we attacked Serbia(christians) under Clinton to protect Kosovo(muslims), and at the time thought why in the world are we coming to the aid of this muslim nation which wants to destroy America. The KLA(Kosova Liberation Army) was a CIA top 10 terrorist threat to our country before we attacked Serbia but conveniantly once the fight started lost that distinction. I was furious at the time because the Tutsis(christians) were being killed by the Hutus(muslims) in Rawanda. Supposedly like 2,000 albanians died and they declared genocide by Serbia when in fact the numbers of dead by both countries was pretty even. On the Rwanda side hundred of thousands were dying and fast close to a million in a little more then 100 days. I still seeth with the thought of this. I suppose the reason our "black" president back then didn't care much for the Tutsis because they were the wrong religion. Tell me where I am wrong please. I do not know a lot about the rawanda genocide because it is soo hard to get objective reports on it. Nearly every left winger in the world has been trying to cover that mess up for the last 10 years with lies about what happened and parties responsible religous association and such. For instance most describe it as a complex political mess whereas it appears to me purely religous.

Saw Collateral Damage tonight and Cruise says at one point Humans have no regard for life in that they turn a blind eye to the rwanda genocide 10,000 dead by dawn every day as he says more then at any time since the nukes we dropped on japan. I have a big issue with this in that it should have been the eye was turned because christians were dying and Stalin killed a hell of a lot more people building that siberian railroad of death, but then we cant be talking bad about stalin one of the leftys heros.

If anyone is an expert on Rwanda, Kosova would love for you to give me your thoughts on what I wrote and help correct me and/or expand on what I wrote.

Thanks!
CuriousGeorge
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no "expert" only that I knew people there. We assume them dead as we have not been able to contact them.

It was a whole sale slaughter. It was the age old tribe vs tribe thing.

As one aidworker mentioned you could tell when villages were hit by the river. Not exact; "The river would turn red, then bodies would float by, then it would return to normal. Then it would turn red......

The Canadian(I just blanked on his name) is an honorable soldier who pleaded with the UN and the West to send help. It was ignored. In fact the American representive on the security council was ordered not to use the "G" word(genoicde) as it would force action.

Few people cared. Rawanda is a severly poor country with no real exploitable resources. Their biggest thing was tourism and the Mountain Gorillas.

If Rawanda was an oil producer, you could bet the Western powers would have trampled over each other to send soldiers.

As you can gather it is a subject I really don't like discussing.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If Rawanda was an oil producer, you could bet the Western powers would have trampled over each other to send soldiers.

Are you forgetting that we had just suffered through a terrible, brutal loss in Somalia and that most of the country was demanding that we not send our military ANYWHERE? The mood of the country was nearly that of John Birchers!
CuriousGeorge
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fully aware of Somalia and how it made us became gun shy.

Rawanda was different. It was not a case of anarchy with petty warlords fighting to be top dog; just 2 groups attacking each other.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fight was about was of no concern to most Americans even AFTER they found out about it, which was very late into the genocide.

Americans did NOT want to send troops ANYWHERE, at the time. We were still licking our wounds over Black Hawk down. Ignorant, yes.

We didn't go to Rwanda because they didn't have OIL? Ridiculous, repeated leftist bunk. You are free to believe it if you choose to do so - I would rather dig into it a little further than slogans.

Who was President during the Rwandan genocide?
CuriousGeorge
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Sorry a little re-edit as I misread....

The goverment knew about it because General Dallaire(I remembered his name) pleaded with the Western powers through the UN security council for help. Months before it started! Dallaire was in charge of a small UN peacekeeper force at the time.

"We didn't go to Rwanda because they didn't have OIL? Ridiculous, repeated leftist bunk."

Well before you wave the magical wand of leftist claims dismal. I know a tad bit more then most americans. Remember I said I had friends there.

For those that don't know.

It began after the shooting down of a plane carrying the Rwandan and Burundian presidents who died in the crash near Kigali.

Close to a million Tutsi and Hutu moderates were butured by Hutu extreamists in the fighting.

Again General Dalliare argued for a force to prevent this. He had a couple thousand soldiers and the UN cut it back to 400. Also, Somalia and the death 18 troopers (God rest them) with the one getting dragged through the streets created a fear of caualties in the West.

This "event" only ended about 100 days later when Paul Kagame raised a rebel army and ousted the extremist Hutu goverment.

Sorry but the "leftest excuse" of the "oil question" is quite valid. Rawanda has no strategic value and it has no exploitable resources.

As such the West sat and watched.

I blame England, the US, and France for this as they had the ability to move in.

"Who was President during the Rwandan genocide?"

Hmph. I wonder if 100 years from now Republicans will still blame Clinton for things?
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousGeorge wrote:
-I blame England, the US, and France for this as they had the ability to move in.

Hmph. I wonder if 100 years from now Republicans will still blame Clinton for things?

It's a fair question. Even if you don't like the answer. Wink
CuriousGeorge
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
CuriousGeorge wrote:
-I blame England, the US, and France for this as they had the ability to move in.

It's a fair question. Even if you don't like the answer. Wink

Oh I know. He should be blamed as he had the ability to make a difference. If our soldiers went gun shy over the death of the 18, I would pack up and move to an island as this country would not stand much longer.

I am not disparging the military. I know full well that if we went to them and asked for volunteers many would go.

The goverments failed; not the military.

I should probably stop as this is a sore subject for me. Some decent people died in that mess.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousGeorge wrote:

If our soldiers went gun shy over the death of the 18, I would pack up and move to an island as this country would not stand much longer.

I assure you that it was NOT the military who went gun shy, and for you to intimate such is insulting and demeaning.

The military was pushing to go! The Pentagon wanted to go back to Somalia and clean out THAT rat's nest, too.

It was the poll-fed President who would not use the forces available.

It was the gun-shy American public who told him what to do!
CuriousGeorge
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
CuriousGeorge wrote:

If our soldiers went gun shy over the death of the 18, I would pack up and move to an island as this country would not stand much longer.

I assure you that it was NOT the military who went gun shy, and for you to intimate such is insulting and demeaning.

*snip*

Ok step back and re-read

"Oh I know. He should be blamed as he had the ability to make a difference. If our soldiers went gun shy over the death of the 18, I would pack up and move to an island as this country would not stand much longer."

"I am not disparging the military. I know full well that if we went to them and asked for volunteers many would go."

"The goverments failed; not the military. "
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the oil excuse.

A lot of people believe that this nation's "first black president" did not advocate intervention because the country had no strategic importance and because it was just one group of black people killing another group of black people.

I know it's not politically correct to mention skin color but there it is and it is a well known theory in this case.
CuriousGeorge
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
Forget the oil excuse.

A lot of people believe that this nation's "first black president" did not advocate intervention because the country had no strategic importance and because it was just one group of black people killing another group of black people.

I know it's not politically correct to mention skin color but there it is and it is a well known theory in this case.

Ok I guess because of Iraq, Oil was the wrong example to use.

Race probably had a play in this after all they are nothing more then tribal savages right? (not suggesting you'r saying something).

But in Clintons case, I really doubt that was his motives. As Navyx3 pointed out Somalia made the administratration gun shy. As such the order for the UN representative to not use the word genocide.

Even though they were black, if they had exploitable resources, the western powers would have been more intertested.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the exploitable resources in Kosovo?

Or were they just caucasian?
CuriousGeorge
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kosovo? I am only talking about Rawanda.

However, one simple thing. Kosovo is in a place that can affect parts of Europe......

If you want to compare, then that will have to be somebody elses job.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is missing the point. The reason Clinton did nothing was because christians were dying and liberal democrats could care less if they die. As for the Sudan, Bush can hardly conduct the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, let alone go help the people over there. The democratic party is not the party of FDR or JFK anymore. It is a anthropocentric secularist party which cares for nothing save power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: