SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conservatives more generous than Liberals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Conservatives more generous than Liberals Reply with quote

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/204/story_20419_1.html

Interesting article. I've always know liberals are cheap with THEIR money, this article/study confirms it. Here is part of the article:

He's a number cruncher who relied primarily on 10 databases assembled over the past decade, mostly from scientific surveys. The data are adjusted for variables such as age, gender, race and income to draw fine-point conclusions.

His Wall Street Journal pieces are researched, but a little light.

His book, he says, is carefully documented to withstand the scrutiny of other academics, which he said he encourages.

The book's basic findings are that conservatives who practice religion, live in traditional nuclear families and reject the notion that the government should engage in income redistribution are the most generous Americans, by any measure.

Conversely, secular liberals who believe fervently in government entitlement programs give far less to charity. They want everyone's tax dollars to support charitable causes and are reluctant to write checks to those causes, even when governments don't provide them with enough money.

Such an attitude, he writes, not only shortchanges the nonprofits but also diminishes the positive fallout of giving, including personal health, wealth and happiness for the donor and overall economic growth.
All of this, he said, he backs up with statistical analysis.

"These are not the sort of conclusions I ever thought I would reach when I started looking at charitable giving in graduate school, 10 years ago," he writes in the introduction. "I have to admit I probably would have hated what I have to say in this book."
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you where you can also see an example of the notorious stinginess of liberals - tipping!

I worked in the restaurant industry all my life and got to know all kinds of people. You always have regulars at every restaurant. I would bet (a lot) that the worst tippers in the world are virtually all liberal fanaticss.

Save the planet, save the whales, save the snail darter... but, even more important - save your pennies! LOL!

Go to lunch at a low-price restaurant with a bunch of people and the liberals are the ones who will go over the check with a calculator to ensure that they're not paying a quarter more than what they ordered.

Pro-American, pro-military, conservative types generally all throw in a twenty and smile at the way the server's day has just been made. (I used to think that this was a man vs. woman kind of thing, but it's not gender-based, it's politically-based.)

The best-tipped servers in the world are the ones at military clubs at lunch time. Those servers make some *serious* cash. How often do you run into a Greenpeace fanatic in uniform? Laughing I rest my (entirely anecdotal) case.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's all in the way you look at it. Liberals may be extremely tight with their own money, but they're exceedingly generous with "our" money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: