SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"FEC Settles With MoveOn, Swift Boat Vets"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: "FEC Settles With MoveOn, Swift Boat Vets" Reply with quote

Well, read it and weep. It's not so much the fine which bothers me (which it certainly does) but to be put in the same class with Moveon.org is grossly insulting.

It's being reported that the Swiftees are being hit with almost half of the below mentioned fine ($299,500). If there's a hat that needs to be passed, send it my way Swiftees...the outcome was worth every penny...and it will pay its dividend till Kerry cries "uncle".

Quote:
December 13, 2006
FEC Settles With MoveOn, Swift Boat Vets

The FEC unanimously decided to settle with three 527's "accused of violating" federal campaign finance laws during the '04 presidential election. Among them: The League of Conservation Voters, MoveOn.org Voter Fund and Swiftboat Veterans and POWs for Truth.

In sum, they must pay a combined amount of $630K.

The announcement settles charges the 527's "failed to register and file disclosure reports as federal political" cmtes, and "accepted contributions in violation of federal limits and source prohibitions." FEC Commission Chair Michael Toner said the Commisssion's findings "send a strong message" that the FEC handles such cases with "serious legal consequences." Vice chair Robert Lenhard said the "bipartisan and unanimous nature" of the decision shows the FEC "is willing to regulate election activity more aggtressively than it has in the past."

No wonder so many groups find it so easy to flout the law: it takes the FEC a year and a half to get around to making them pay for it. (We're not suggesting that the above groups wilfully violated the law, just that the enforcement delay is an incentive for others to break it.)

The Hotline
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a liberal inspired witch hunt to me. Is MoveOn.org going to actually pay? Liberals are notorius for ignoring the payments part of anything.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FEC case file is now available in it's entirety, but there's no direct link to it that I've found. Here's how to retrieve it...

• Go to the FEC search page here

• Enter 5525 in the case number box

• At the top of the table, click the javascript link "MUR Case #5525"

• That will take you to the Full Case Summary page (note tabs on top)

Should be an interesting read...
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SVPT has responded...see announcement above.
PC
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article on Big LIzards about the AP's biased coverage of these fines:

http://biglizards.net/blog/archives/2006/12/how_many_times.html#comments
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If donations are needed to help with this just give a shout and check will be immediately in the mail.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Campbell wrote:
If donations are needed to help with this just give a shout and check will be immediately in the mail.

If I read the SVPT response correctly, funds are already available to cover this...but it's encouraging that they could probably raise that amount in a NY minute from supporters.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get it straight from the horses mouth without media bias here:

http://www.fec.gov/press/press2006/20061213murs.html

The FEC did not refer to "unsubstantiated allegations" at all in it's decision.

That is pure media spin.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Fort Campbell wrote:

If I read the SVPT response correctly, funds are already available to cover this...but it's encouraging that they could probably raise that amount in a NY minute from supporters.

I have no doubt about it. This group meant too much to all of us who worked together here in 2004. I am certain that all it would take would be one word and the donations would roll in again. After all John Kerry is still in public office. We are watching him. Wink
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC wrote:
Good article on Big LIzards about the AP's biased coverage of these fines:

http://biglizards.net/blog/archives/2006/12/how_many_times.html#comments

Thanks for the post. "Big LIzards" does a commendable job in exposing both Mr. Kuhnhenn's and AP's bias.

It also appears that there are different versions of Mr. Kuhnhenn's "reportage" extant...I was alerted to the two following stories today...(compare the highlights which are mine)

Quote:
Political Groups to Pay Campaign Fines
Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and MoveOn.org Voter Fund Agree to Pay Campaign Fines
By JIM KUHNHENN

WASHINGTON Dec 13, 2006 (AP)— Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and MoveOn.org Voter Fund, two outside groups that played key roles in the 2004 presidential election, reached an agreement with the Federal Election Commission to pay nearly $450,000 for various violations.

<snip>

The group listed as Swift Boat Veterans and POWs for Truth will pay $299,500. In the 2004 campaign, the group spent $20.4 million criticizing Kerry's military record in Vietnam. Much of the group's claims about Kerry's service were never substantiated.

ABC News - cont'd

Quote:
Political Groups to Pay Campaign Fines
Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and MoveOn.org Voter Fund agree to pay campaign fines

WASHINGTON, Dec. 13, 2006
By JIM KUHNHENN Associated Press Writer

(AP) Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and MoveOn.org Voter Fund, two outside groups that played key roles in the 2004 presidential election, reached an agreement with the Federal Election Commission to pay nearly $450,000 for various violations.

<snip>

The group listed as Swift Boat Veterans and POWs for Truth will pay $299,500. In the 2004 campaign, the group leveled unsubstantiated allegations about Democratic nominee Sen. John Kerry's military record in Vietnam.

CBS News - cont'd

Was the CBS version subsequently amended by the author after his blatant mischaracterization of fact? Can we expect a correction from CBS?

Don't count on it.

One additional afterthought if I might. The now-published variations in this single paragraph demonstrate the quandary of the MSM in dealing with the TRUTH of the SVPT revelations. Some AP time and attention were obviously expended on this paragraph...and AP was, again, caught with their hands in the mendacity cookie jar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: