SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U.S. to Declassify Secrets at Age 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: U.S. to Declassify Secrets at Age 25 Reply with quote

Hmmm. I would sure like to see un-redacted FBI investigation files on JK's 1970's activities.
Quote:
Several hundred million pages will be declassified at midnight on Dec. 31, including 270 million pages at the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which has lagged most agencies in reviews.

NY TIMES
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: U.S. to Declassify Secrets at Age 25 Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
Hmmm. I would sure like to see un-redacted FBI investigation files on JK's 1970's activities.

As would I, but I'm concerned that the release of unredacted files would create a litigation tsunami.

Nor am I clear on whether "released files" might still be "redacted" or not.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, aren't there some FBI files about Kerry's anti-war activities somewhere on the net.

I seem to remember about 3 cd's worth of files being released by the FBI and the 3 cd's contents being freely available to all who wish to download them.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvuskong wrote:
Ah, aren't there some FBI files about Kerry's anti-war activities somewhere on the net.

I seem to remember about 3 cd's worth of files being released by the FBI and the 3 cd's contents being freely available to all who wish to download them.

Winter Soldier have a fairly complete set of VVAW's FBI files at:

http://ice.he.net/~freepnet/kerry/index.php?topic=VVAWFBI

I don't recall seeing just Kerry's files but the VVAW files have a lot of references to Kerry.

Last edited by JN173 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can read the article in full at HeraldTribune
Quote:
SCOTT SHANE

WASHINGTON, Dec. 20 —
It will be a Cinderella moment for the band of researchers who study the hidden history of American government.

At midnight on Dec. 31, hundreds of millions of pages of secret documents will be instantly declassified, including many FBI cold war files on investigations of people suspected of being Communist sympathizers. After years of extensions sought by federal agencies behaving like college students facing a term paper, the end of 2006 means the government’s first automatic declassification of records.

Secret documents 25 years old or older will lose their classified status without so much as the stroke of a pen, unless agencies have sought exemptions on the ground that the material remains secret.

Historians say the deadline, created in the Clinton administration but enforced, to the surprise of some scholars, by the secrecy-prone Bush administration, has had huge effects on public access, despite the large numbers of intelligence documents that have been exempted.

more.........

full text here of Clinton's EO , if one can wade through the governmentspeak
Quote:
THE WHITE HOUSE
For Immediate Release -- April 17, 1995
EXECUTIVE ORDER 12958
CLASSIFIED NATIONAL SECURITY INFORMATION

as for kerry...what's been released are the files the FBI had on the VVAW.
kerry says he's seen his personal FBI file > which is NY file 100-172952 Wink if the opportunity arises
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to take a gander at Kennedy's archives from Dec '68 through March '69. Perhaps there's correspondence in there relating to Kerry's first PH. That Kerry would resort to political muscle to get that award seems not only plausible but probable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: