SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Al Gore 'thrilled' by Oscar nominations"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: "Al Gore 'thrilled' by Oscar nominations" Reply with quote

Yeah, that's my idea of an enjoyable evening out...a bag of popcorn and Al Gore. How 'bout a double feature with "Going Upriver"?

Gag. Is the "fix" in already?

Quote:
Al Gore 'thrilled' by Oscar nominations
By BETH FOUHY
Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Who says politics is show business for ugly people? "An Inconvenient Truth," Al Gore's film on the perils of global warming, scored two Oscar nominations Tuesday — for best documentary feature and best original song.

While he is not technically a nominee — the film's director, David Guggenheim, won the nod, as did singer Melissa Etheridge for the song "I Need to Wake Up" — Gore said he was "thrilled" that his movie was honored.

Yahoo News - cont'd

Rolling Eyes
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregore's flim wouldn't stand a chance up against one about "The Attack of the Martians".
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and AlGore's competition...

Quote:
Deliver Us From Evil
Amy Berg and Frank Donner

FILM SYNOPSIS
Ex-priest Oliver O'Grady becomes the face of the child-molestation scandal that has rocked the Catholic church in this examination of pedophilia among priests and the Church's high-level attempts to suppress it. Through interviews with O'Grady and several of his victims, a portrait emerges of a molester still unwilling to accept the full measure of his own guilt.

Iraq In Fragments
James Longley and John Sinno

FILM SYNOPSIS
The three principal groups in Iraq--Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds--are profiled in this examination of the divisive forces that are tearing the country apart. Young Mohammed, a Sunni, works at an auto shop and drifts in and out of school; Shiite leader Moqtada al-Sadr ruthlessly enforces Islamic Law in the country's southern region; and a family of Kurdish farmers struggles to survive.

Jesus Camp
Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady

FILM SYNOPSIS
At a summer camp for Evangelical Christians, children have their faith reinforced and their ideology honed by the camp's founder, Becky Fischer, whose stated objective is to "take back America for Christ." Under Fischer's tutelage, the children speak in tongues and pray for the appointment of pro-life Supreme Court justices.

My Country, My Country
Laura Poitras and Jocelyn Glatzer

FILM SYNOPSIS
In the months leading up to Iraq's first post-Saddam election in 2005, a Sunni doctor, Riyadh al-Adhadh, runs for office and attempts to overcome the planned boycott of the proceedings by Sunni voters. As the U.S. government works behind the scenes to bring off the election, difficulties mount in an Iraqi society long used to other methods of resolving issues.

The Oscars

Of the 5 nominees, "My Country, My Country" appears to be the least ideologically motivated...hence a probable loser...

Quote:
FILMAKER INTERVIEW
PBS

P.O.V.: What did you learn about democracy in Iraq and what did you learn about America?

Poitras: To witness Dr. Riyadh's profound courage, the priorities that he lives with and his values, and then to come back here to the U.S., where you wouldn't know that there is a war, and see what people care about and what people spend energy on... a lot of it really seems very irrelevant.

We say we went to Iraq to bring democracy, and I think looking at the film, we see how much we can learn from the Iraqis in terms of democracy, in terms of serving your country, in terms of sacrifice. Those are things that I think we've lost sight of. If you look the voting statistics in Iraq, the turnout there was higher than the turnout here in U.S. elections. In Iraq, 58% of the people showed up to vote after they'd been told that they would be killed and they would be videotaped if they voted; that's a profoundly moving testament to people's courage and sacrifice and willingness to risk their lives for what they believe in.

PBS - cont'd
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Gore is a complete moonbat idiot.
That said, I have a thousand times more respect for him than Kerry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: