SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WW II Sub Found Off Hawaii

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: WW II Sub Found Off Hawaii Reply with quote

Quote:
WW II Sub Found Off Hawaii
HONOLULU — The wreckage of a large World War II-era Japanese submarine has been found by researchers in waters off Hawaii (search).

A research team from the University of Hawaii (search) discovered the I-401 submarine Thursday during test dives off Oahu.

"We thought it was rocks at first, it was so huge," said Terry Kerby, pilot of the research craft that found the vessel. "But the sides of it kept going up and up and up, three and four stories tall. It's a leviathan down there, a monster."

The submarine is from the I-400 Sensuikan Toku (search) class of subs, the largest built before the nuclear ballistic missile submarines of the 1960s.

They were 400 feet long and nearly 40 feet high and could carry a crew of 144. The submarines were designed to carry three "fold-up" bombers that could be assembled for flight within minutes.

Kerby said the main hull is sitting upright and is in good shape. The I-401 numbers are clearly visible on the sides, and the anti-aircraft guns are in almost perfect condition, he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,150986,00.html

How kewl is that? A sub so big that it could hold 3 fold-up bombers.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing find...here's some pics...

http://www.combinedfleet.com/sen_toku.htm

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/HURL/I-401.html

...and a bit more from the Star-Bulletin article...

Quote:
Their first mission was called "Operation PX," a plan to use the aircraft to drop infected rats and insects with bubonic plague, cholera, dengue fever, typhus and other diseases on American West Coast cities. When the bacteriological bombs could not be prepared in time, the target was changed to the Panama Canal.

I-400 and I-401 were captured at sea a week after the Japanese surrendered in 1945. The commander committed suicide and the huge submarines' mission was never completed.

I-400, I-401 and I-14 were ordered to sail to Pearl Harbor in late 1945 with an American prize crew, who smuggled Japanese war souvenirs in the aircraft hangars. Also along to be evaluated were I-201 and I-203, two top-secret Imperial Navy submarines that were twice as fast as American designs.

The submarines were greeted with ceremonial brass bands in early 1946, but within a few months it was decided to scuttle the Japanese designs, partly because Russians scientists were demanding access to them. On May 31, 1946, I-401 and the other four top-secret Japanese submarines were sunk by torpedoes from the American submarine USS Cabezon. I-401 was last seen sinking by the stern, vanishing until last week.

Honolulu Star-Bulletin
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive Custler wrote a story around these subs - Khan's Treasure. He has lots of historical background in and among the fiction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: