SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Giap & TET Offensive, 1968

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: General Giap & TET Offensive, 1968 Reply with quote

I emailed about the subject several days ago & received this afternoon the following information from Joe Galloway.

quote:

"Gen Vo Ngyuen Giap has NEVER talked about thinking it was time to surrender at any point during the Vietnam War, far from it. When LT. General Moore and I interviewed him in 1991 and 1992 he (Gen Giap) stated flatly: "We were prepared to fight for 10 or 20 or 50 years...to lose a million, five million, ten million dead....if that is what it took to drive the foreigner out of our country".

unquote.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.S.
Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMOS wrote:
B.S.

Amos,
I'll second that...BS...
While Galloway is certainly no worse than most journalists, he is a journalist after all. Sometimes they just can' t help showing their true colors. Fortunately, there are enough sources from that era who know what Giap said shortly after TET '68. At that point the war was won, and if pressed would have left NVA/VC perhaps even w/o their Soviet/PRC buddies' support. As now the left weenies took charge of snatching defeat from the jaws of Victory...perhaps why this planet has a hard time respecting Americans, let alone trusting us!

Deuce
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" is a great description for what happened in 1968...as well as what occured four years later.

During Operation Linebacker II, supposedly conducted to force the North Viets back to the bargaining table in late December of 72, the damage to North Vietnam's infrastructure was severe.

Linebacker II was the most intensive bombing campaign of the war. The Air Force estimated 500 rail interdictions had taken place, 372 pieces of rolling stock and three million gallons of petroleum products were destroyed, and 80 percent of the the North's electrical power production capability had been eliminated.

Logistical inputs into North Vietnam were assessed by U.S. intelligence at 160,000 tons per month when the operation began. By January 1973, those imports had dropped to 30,000 tons per month.

We had won the war again but, as noted caustically by Kissinger aide John Negroponte, "We bombed the North Vietnamese into accepting our concessions."

America wimped out, and the eventual peace agreement was basically the same one that had been reached in October 72. Additional U.S. demands were generally discarded or went against the U.S.
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never made any claims as to whether I believe it or not, gentlemen. Do know that I'm searching through the Vietnam archives at the University of Texas, Austin. lol!
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken, but I don't think we were shooting the messenger. Laughing
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whewwwwwwwwwwww!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone considered that Giap, interviewed in the 90's, 30 odd years after the fact, decided to downplay earlier comments or deny them, since they were ulitmately victorious?

That I can find, this claim has never actually appeared in any English publication. The closest I found was the October 2005 interview of General Nguyen Duc Huy in Vietnam magazine;

Quote:
VN: After the war, Giap told a group of Western reporters that Communist losses in the Tet Offensive were so devastating that if the Americans had kept up that level of military pressure much longer North Vietnam would have been forced to negotiate a peace on American terms. Do you agree?

Huy: If the American army had fought some more, had continued, I don't know. Maybe. I can't say what would have happened.

BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if many of you remember the Canadian "Ten Thousand Day War" documentary (1980). There are numerous interviews with Giap dispersed throughout the series episodes. If memory serves me, one of them had Giap making the the statement that Lew quotes above; another has Giap stating that the North was holding meetings outside of Hanoi discussing what terms they would ask of the Americans to stop the bombing of Hanoi into so much dust and debris. Giap stated that they had already decided to give it up when the bombing stopped. When the bombs stopped they switched positions and the war continued. They were one day away from suing for peace.
Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USMCWayne, et al...

agreed, no sniping at messenger's here either. Just would be great if we could shut down all the little Kronkite Wanabees and avoid snatching Defeat from the jaws of victory on the war on terror (aka the war against the reformation of the Caliphate in Baghdad)!!!

just damn,
Deuce
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Has anyone considered that Giap, interviewed in the 90's, 30 odd years after the fact, decided to downplay earlier comments or deny them, since they were ulitmately victorious?

That I can find, this claim has never actually appeared in any English publication. The closest I found was the October 2005 interview of General Nguyen Duc Huy in Vietnam magazine;

Quote:
VN: After the war, Giap told a group of Western reporters that Communist losses in the Tet Offensive were so devastating that if the Americans had kept up that level of military pressure much longer North Vietnam would have been forced to negotiate a peace on American terms. Do you agree?

Huy: If the American army had fought some more, had continued, I don't know. Maybe. I can't say what would have happened.

Thanks Lew! Now I'll put the ball back in Joes court diplomatically. I recalled Genearl Giap making a statement to that effect but had no way of backing it up. Thats why I emailed Joe & asked him. I felt if anyone would know, it'd be him or LT General Moore since both have been hard at work on the subject.

As far as Walter Kronkite, Dan Blather or anyone else in MSM goes? It'll be an extreme & very cold day in hell when I believe anything that comes from their lips.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any interested, the complete interview with General Huy and others is now available online at Interviews with a Top North Vietnam Army General and Two Former Soldiers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: