SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

walmart-at&t phone card warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: walmart-at&t phone card warning Reply with quote

from email

Dear Friends, today I discovered, (the hard way), that when you buy the AT&T prepaid phone cards at Wal-Mart, you get totally ripped off. I bought a 75 minute phone card. After I had talked for about 8 minutes, the recording came on telling me I had one minute of call time left. I went to the service desk, and the CSM explained to me that for every minute you talk in state, it takes 8 minutes of time off your card. It takes extra minutes off for out of state calls, too.
I don't know if this is just AT&T, or Wal-Mart and AT&T, but, both of these big corporations get enough of our hard earned money. Please, stop buying these phone cards, and please, send this message to all of your friends. They have no problem hitting our wallets, I think it is time we hit back.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had the occasion to use phone cards, so I'm unfamiliar with the product.

A quick look at the Wal-mart website unearthed the following...

Quote:
Terms and Conditions: BY USING THIS PREPAID PHONE CARD, YOU CONSENT TO THE TERMS, CONDITIONS, RATES AND CHARGES BELOW AND IN THE SERVICE GUIDE AT www.att.com/prepaidguide ; ALSO AVAILABLE FROM CUSTOMER CARE AT 1-888-854-6741. Minute value applies to state-to-state calls only. A surcharge not to exceed 37 minutes applies to pay phone calls, some of which compensates pay phone providers. One minute billing increments; partial minutes used are billed as full minutes. Rates may be higher for calls to/from mobile phones. For calls that begin and end in the same state, minutes are deducted at these rates per minute of talk time: 1 min.: DC, IL, IN, MA, RI, USVI; 3 min.: AL, AR, CA, CT, DE, GA, HI, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MI, MS, NE, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PR, SC, TN, UT, WI, WV; 5 min.: AK, AZ, CO, FL, IA, ID, MN, MT, NC, NH, OK, PA, TX, VA, VT, WA, WY; 8 min.: MO, ND, NM, SD.

Looks like caveat emptor and "read the fine print" for the majority of the country and especially for residents of "MO, ND, NM, SD"...and I doubt this is limited to Wal-Mart alone.

I wonder just how clear these rip-offs are to a would-be purchaser and why these state governments are allowing this rate discrimination to exist.

My guess would be AT&T "arrangement$" with state governments.

BTW, click on the hyperlink to AT&T in the message for some valuable consumer information from AT&T Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: