SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For first time since Vietnam, riverboats deploy for Iraq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: For first time since Vietnam, riverboats deploy for Iraq Reply with quote

Quote:
For first time since Vietnam, riverboats deploy for Iraq
NORFOLK, Va. -- A riverboat squadron departed Thursday for Iraq, the first deployment of Navy swift boats to a war zone since Vietnam.

About 100 members of the Riverine Squadron 1 will integrate with Marines patrolling the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, eventually replacing the Marine force. They will patrol those waters to combat terrorist operations.

"The missions, the formations, tactics, techniques and procedures are pretty much the same as they were 35 years ago," Cmdr. Bill Guarini said.

After Vietnam, internal waterways operations largely became a function of the Marines and of Naval special warfare units. One year ago, however, the Navy announced it was adding "brown water" warfare to its traditional "bluewater" role.

During Vietnam, the Navy patrolled the Mekong River delta with 500 swift boats.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-sou--navyriverines0308mar08,0,6705691.story?coll=dp-headlines-virginia

500 Swiftboats ?????
Try a little more than 100.
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the writer interviewed John "Seared in my Brain" Kerry for the article.

Facts are so pesky at times. Confused
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Kerry can go finish his duty for 3 more months and get a few more purple hearts.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony54 wrote:
Maybe Kerry can go finish his duty for 3 more months and get a few more purple hearts.

Tony, he would have to serve 8 more months of duty to do his 12 months.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone, you right my mistake.
I'm not even a vet, back in '68 I joined the Navy on a "buddy plan", with three of my buddies, I went in for the physical, was disqualified with bad hearing. 4F, my buddies served honorably.
I remember Kerry and Fonda on TV slandering our brave ones.
I did what I could knowing that some of my best friends were putting their life on the line for our freedom.
I went to many protests, to protest against the protesters; by our side was always outnumbered ten to one.
I was at Kent State on the infamous May 4th shooting.
The National Guard were outnumbered big time and so were we.
I made sure anytime one of my buddies cam home on leave, I'd pick him up at the airport, bring him to my house and have a case of cold beer waiting for us.
Unfortunately I also had to go to funerals for some of my best friends.
So whenever I see or hear the names Kerry or Fonda I cringe.
Fonda was an actress, but Kerry did all his misdeeds while still in the service, I believe.
Two of my good friends from high school, Vets, and I made a pledge to each other:
That God -willing if we are still around after Kerry's pushing daisies, we will go to his gravesite, no matter how far we must travel, on a wheelchair if need be, and pi$$ on his grave. He deserves no less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: