SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swiftboating The Boston Globe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Swiftboating The Boston Globe Reply with quote

On Feb 18, 2007, a story appeared in the Globe that I had every intent to both note and comment upon here...but, alas, I let the moment pass and never got back to it.

Fortunately for me, as I found while hyperlinking my way through his/her blog, "Squaring The Boston Globe" didn't.

As is normally the case with the Kerry enabling Globe, the story addressed some major finger-pointing by "I NEVER fall" Kerry at John Edward's alleged failure to "attack" the ever-growing impact of the SVPT campaign as was the alleged "plan". Why John Edwards apparently remained mute in the face of this attack on his political and personal character puzzles me to this day.

Of particular note in today's commentary are the links to archival commentary on the Globe's shameless abrogation of journalism and their plunge into the depths of wholesale political advocacy.

As I have stated so many times in this forum, the greatest untold story of the 2004 campaign is the collapse of the MSM as a journalistic institution. The only question remaining is just how long political sensitivity will keep historians at bay.

An excerpt from today's commentary which served up some interesting links...

Quote:
Please Mind Your Own Crumbling Business
Tuesday, March 27, 2007

During the 2004 presidential campaign a controversial ad appeared in the Internet and on TV in early August. It was not anonymous. Though the ad was discussed non-stop for weeks on talk radio and on blogs, the Boston Globe did not once mention it, and refused to do so until the candidate who was attacked in the ad broke his own similar (and highly coincidental) silence on the matter and attacked the advertisers without discussing their specific charges.

To this day the Globe editors have never formally explained their decision to engage in 2-week period of silence about the Swift Boat Veterans ad. Columnist Tom Oliphant said on August 22, 2004 that it was because:
    “…more reputable organs of the national press have not cast doubt on Kerry's Vietnam service. That is because political attacks on it don't pass the smell test. We are influenced by eyewitnesses, not by people whose stories keep changing or are contradicted by official records. We are used to arguments over things like war records, but the burden of proof is with the accuser and Kerry's accusers cannot shoulder it with the credible evidence required of credible stories.”
Give Oliphant credit for showing his readers common courtesy and explaining exactly where he stood on the matter and why. By contrast, the Globe newsroom itself has never explained its lack of coverage in August 2004, and apparently never felt a need to explain why for 2 weeks it failed report a story that in retrospect was widely agreed by all sides as the most important turning point of the 2004 campaign.

That the Globe has never explained its actions reeks of an arrogance and a lack of accountability far more pervasive than does YouTube’s efforts at community policing of its web content.

Perhaps the Globe editors should explain the content policies of their own newsroom and their own newspaper to their own paying customers before instructing YouTube on how to manage its exploding business.

Squaring The Boston Globe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: