SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Rudy and ’Nam"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: "Rudy and ’Nam" Reply with quote

In case you haven't noticed, leftlandia is all in a dither (my google news alerts overfloweth) at the prospect of tarring would-be nominee Rudy Guiliani as a Vietnam "draft dodger".

The source of this leftist-enervating concept (besides an ever-present awareness of the beating they suffer(ed) at the hands of the SVPT), Jon Soltz of VoteVets.org, appears to be either a bit short in the "grand scheme du jour" creative conceptualization department or he and his near-giddy supporters are more than willing to relegate the iconic Bill Clinton to leftist ignominy in order to pseudo-trash Rudy Giuliani.

His inability to distinguish between actual "draft dodging" (you know Jon, like running away to Canada?) and utilizing government provided, legitimate deferments is no less specious as it is laughable.

The fact (as acknowledged below) that Giuliani ultimately became 1-A with a high draft number means little in this comedy of smear.

If I might steal a line...I know the Swift Boat Veterans and POWs for Truth. The Swift Boat Veterans and POWs for Truth are friends of mine. Frankly Jon Soltz, you're no Swift Boat Veteran or POW for Truth... (emphasis mine)

Quote:
Rudy and ’Nam
He’s no war hero. Will it matter?
By Geoffrey Gray

Rudy Giuliani, speaking about terrorism and the Iraq war, said last week, “It is something I understand better than anyone else running for president.” How long will John McCain—a real-life war hero down seventeen points in the polls—stand for such bluster, considering the lengths Giuliani went to to stay out of Vietnam?

He won’t mention Rudy’s military history—yet. It’s too early in the primary cycle to go negative. But opponents know this is the warrior-mayor’s biggest weakness. “If Giuliani is the nominee, we’re going to hammer him with ads, and it’s going to be easy because the issue is simple: He’s a draft dodger,” says Jon Soltz, an Iraq vet who served as a captain and runs VoteVets.org, a left-leaning version of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. “Giuliani gets a zero-zero,” says General Wesley Clark, an adviser to the group. “He wasn’t willing to risk his life for his country, and he has no relevant experience that’s in any way useful to be commander-in-chief. He hosted the U.N. and had a large police force.”

To recap: After receiving several deferments as a student, Giuliani applied for an occupational deferment as a law clerk, but his application was rejected. Giuliani appealed their decision, and asked the federal judge he was clerking for to petition the draft board for him. Which the judge did. When his deferment expired in 1970, Giuliani became susceptible to the draft. He received a high number and was never called. Giuliani “has made it clear that if he had been called up, he would have served,” says Katie Levinson, Giuliani’s spokesperson. He was opposed to the war in Vietnam on “strategic and tactical” grounds, she says. Asked to clarify what tactics Giuliani opposed, Levinson declined to offer specifics. “Voters will choose the next commander-in-chief based on their whole record, and we believe the mayor’s record speaks for itself.”

New York Magazine

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not like Rudy, yet this does seem like a cheap smear on Rudy. Really pisses me off when people call Cheney a draft dodger and this is no different.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
Do not like Rudy, yet this does seem like a cheap smear on Rudy. Really pisses me off when people call Cheney a draft dodger and this is no different.

I like Rudy, but I don't support his candidacy, especially with Fred Thompson as a realistic prospect.

Nevertheless, the leftists are desperate to emulate the SVPT success. What they cannot bring themselves to acknowledge is that "Truth" was an integral component of that success.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a cheap smear straight from Hillary's playbook....who else.

A quick view of the site reveals a 'non-partisan' (ie Dem) site. Keith Olbermung and Ashley Clark are the only recognizable names they put forth as representing their ideals. Ugh.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The concept relegates her husband to "draft dodger" status.

IMHO it's more symptomatic of Swiftvet Derangement Syndrome.

BTW, many would-be supporters of this pseudo-smear are in high-dudgeon at the author's characterization of "a left-leaning version" of the SVPT.

I agree with them. This is a smear.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
I B Squidly wrote:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The concept relegates her husband to "draft dodger" status.

hehe I like that. SDS Smile
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:

I was afraid of that Laughing
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudy isn't my candidate, but the left's cheap smears are too much, considering their own dismal record.

Christopher Dodd, Democrat candidate, served in the Army Reserve from 1969 to 1975. Why doesn't that qualify as 'draft dodging' since Reserve and Guard service makes a Republican a draft dodger, to the left?

I keep asking the left and haven't received an answer yet. Why is it that Military service was so important in 1988, 2000 and 2004, yet it had no bearing on a person's ability to be POTUS in 1992 and 1996?

Can't imagine why they woun't answer Rolling Eyes Wink Confused
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1,

Oh it's Hillary alright with Rahm Immanuel providing deniability. As for Bill's draft status, Well that's 'old news' rehashed by the vast right wing blah, blah... Hillary has no draft status. She was a soldier for Alinsky.

To be fair anything to upset R J Daily was fine with us west suburban Chi-towners. Had a minister drag me to one of his confabs to march with the Black Stone Rangers, a notorious south side gang. We ascribed no over-arching philosophy to the activity and the minister was fired.

Like the SDS. Briefly I was associated with another SDS in Parks Lincoln and Grant if only to see the hub-bub....it was that west suburban thing again.

-Wlm Shakespeare
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Christopher Dodd, Democrat candidate, served in the Army Reserve from 1969 to 1975.

It's been a couple years and, due greatly to all of those brain cells I killed drinking beer through the 70's and 80's (I've slowed down since then), I honestly don't recall, but didn't Dodd claim he was a "Vietnam vet", and not a "Vietnam era vet", until he was called on it?
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
Me#1You#10 wrote:
I B Squidly wrote:

ehehehe!! I came to the right place then? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I remember Dodd for is sandwiches loaded with fat.

Viet Nam was such a long time ago unless you were trying to fill a football stadium in Ohio back in 2004.

Twisted Evil
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:
All I remember Dodd for is sandwiches loaded with fat.

Viet Nam was such a long time ago unless you were trying to fill a football stadium in Ohio back in 2004.

Twisted Evil

Streetsweeper, Viet Nam was not a long time ago for many of us, it is today and it will be tomorrow as well.
Stevie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEE, time to pull out Kerry's deferments...
and where did I hear today that he hasn't totally given up on running?

when and where did HIllary serve?
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Kerry. A few days ago he apparently said he hadn't closed the door on running.

Jay Leno, last night, said someone should find that door and close it for him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: