SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted - a website with info about military medals & rib

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Wanted - a website with info about military medals & rib Reply with quote

Wanted - a website with info about military medals & ribbons.

What I know about the various medals and ribbons of the US Armed Forces might cover half a page at the most.

So I am looking for a website with picutres and explanations about the many medals and ribbons.

I see the "fruit salad" as it is commonly called, I think, on a lot of the various US Armed Forces men and women that I see in pictures and in person.

I have yet to ask them about the various ribbons on the uniform they wear. I do not wish to bother or waste their time getting information about the items in question.

I am also nearly deaf in one ear and have, I think, less than 50% of hearing in the other ear. Hearing aid helps a lot, but get tired of wearing it for long periods of time. Do not see how you guys with normal hearing can stand all the noise in the background and etc.

I fiqure that those here in the discussion group will have very links to some very accurate and informative website locations.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go to www.military.com and on the left is a link for Medal and Ribbons. Then they show by each branch of service.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted - a website with info about military medals & Reply with quote

Harvuskong wrote:
Do not see how you guys with normal hearing can stand all the noise in the background and etc.

Here's a secret, so don't tell anyone, most of us swifties don't hear worth a darn. Most of us have tinnitis, reduced hearing in at least one ear and even less hearing in the other. Some of us use hearing aids, and the rest of us are too macho to let on that it bothers us.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalojack, it isn't only you Swifties. Most all of us Vets have some hearing problem or another.

My wife was discussing with the bartender at the VFW once and mentioned my hearing. The bartender laughed and told her not to worry, none of us could hear anything! Laughing

I tell her I hear only what I need to hear. That drew a fast frown Wink
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just say "Too many bombs bursting in air".
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 years on the flight line messed my ears up bad. Tinnitus is a royal pain in the ears.
Snipe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My VA gave me a really nice set of digital hearing aids, however it also ramps up the background noise, so I don't use them on a day to day basis, saving them for when it's quiet. I do make it a point to take one of my kids or grandkids in the car every now and then to check out any strange noises that I can't hear. (Grandpa, your brakes are screaming)

(Huh?)
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted - a website with info about military medals & Reply with quote

Harvuskong wrote:
Wanted - a website with info about military medals & ribbons. ....

You might also check out Medals of America. It's a selling site but seems very complete in identifying and illustrating medals and ribbons.

Schadow
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what excuse can I use? at 57 and never in service?

never wanted a stereo tv before but can't hear the thing - I did plug in a set of little speakers (only 1 works tho) and have that speaker sitting right next to me. lol!

too many kids a hooping and ahollaring? and me hollaring back at 'em?
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Deuce

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie,

You're prolly just the exception that proves the rule....Yep, between the shooting range and driving a jeep with the top down, pretty sure the tinnitus I've 'enjoyed' for about 36 years started somewhere over in a beautiful little country in SE Asia. Tho' I'll admit it MAY have gotten a little louder with the kids along the way! Wink

Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: