SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Girl on Yahoo Personals - UPDATE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: A Girl on Yahoo Personals - UPDATE Reply with quote

Her personal ad starts off,

Quote:
Fearless joy. A friend uses that as a signature on his e-mails and I thought what a great aspiration to have. I don't know if I've reached the fearless stage yet, but I think it's important to pursue what excites you, even if it makes you a little nervous.

My reply,

“Fearless Joy” signature is an aspiration?

George Washington, first president of the United States signed off on correspondence with “your obedient servant”, as common amongst gentlemen of that era. To those whom he had great admiration and care for, he would sign “your affectionate and obedient servant.”

The moment Field Marshall Bernard ‘Monty’ Montgomery defeated Rommel, till the day he died, he signed all correspondence Montgomery of El Alamein. That Rommel faced a greater than 2 to 1 disadvantage on the battle field and no re-supply was of little concern to Montgomery and his ‘feather in the cap.’

From the selfless Washington to the vanity of Montgomery and finally to your friend, the selfish ‘Fearless Joy’, the pendulum seems to have swung 180 degree.

She replies,

Quote:
Clearly you don't understand the reference, particularly as the phrase is from a friend who is a minister and once of the most selfless people I know. I would have been more impressed had you been less arrogant and rather had asked to understand the context. Does this method work frequently online?

My reply,

A drunk who became minister and declared to the world he found God and sobriety.

Nice

Saint Augustine said “serve the Lord and do as you please”. Hopefully, this recovering drunk is serving the Lord.

Philipians 2:12

Obedience and Service in the World

So then, my beloved, obedient as you have always been, not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For God is the one who, for his good purpose, works in you both to desire and to work.

If Saint Augustine & Paul grate on you and the minister, we can sample some Saint Aquinas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: