SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Domenici...Supports New U.S. Military Strategy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Domenici...Supports New U.S. Military Strategy Reply with quote

Sickening. Let him know.

Quote:
Domenici, Pushed by Iraqi Government Failures, Supports New U.S. Military Strategy
from the Office of Senator Pete V. Domenici
Thursday, July 5, 2007

-- Backs Plan Moving U.S. Troops Away from Combat, Toward Home --

WASHINGTON – Pointing to his profound disappointment in the Iraqi government, U.S. Senator Pete Domenici today called for a redirection of U.S. military policy in Iraq and announced his support for bipartisan legislation to create conditions by which American combat troops can be removed from that nation.

Domenici, who serves on the Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, announced his decision to support the legislation, the Iraq Study Group Recommendation Implementation Act (S.1545), at a news conference in Albuquerque Thursday.

“I want a new strategy for Iraq. I continue to completely support the men and women in the American Armed Forces. They have not failed us. It is the Iraqi government that is failing to make even modest progress to help Iraq itself or to merit the sacrifices being made by our men and women in uniform,” Domenici said. “I am unwilling to continue our current strategy.”

"I have carefully studied the Iraq situation, and believe we cannot continue asking our troops to sacrifice indefinitely while the Iraqi government is not making measurable progress to move its country forward,” Domenici said. “I do not support an immediate withdrawal from Iraq or a reduction in funding for our troops. But I do support a new strategy that will move our troops out of combat operations and on the path to coming home.”

S.1545, introduced by Senators Ken Salazar (D-Colo.) and Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), embraces the recommendations in the Iraq Study Group Report issued by the bipartisan Baker Hamilton Commission. The bill makes the Iraq Study Group’s 79 recommendations the policy of the United States, and asks the Bush administration—working with military and diplomatic leaders—to implement those recommendations.

The bill is intended to create conditions that could allow for a drawdown of American combat forces in Iraq by March 2008. Under S.1545, the U.S. military could maintain a long-term but more limited presence in Iraq—focused on protecting American personnel and interests, training and advising Iraqi forces, and carrying out counterterrorism and special operations missions.

Domenici indicated that the provisions in S.1545 could be debated as part of the FY2008 Defense Authorization Bill that the Senate will take up next week.

Iraq Study Group Recommendations Implementation Act (S. 1545)

(ed. AKA "The Iraq Capitulation Act of 2007 - Vietnam II")

• Legislation to make the recommendations of the Iraq Study Group the official policy of the United States.

Why introduce this bill now?

• A political solution in Washington is needed as much as one is needed in Baghdad.

(ed. Translation - I'm up for re-election next year)

• The recommendations of the Iraq Study Group offer the best opportunity for a bipartisan consensus on a new course in Iraq.

(ed. Translation - I'm up for re-election next year)

What would the bill do?

• It would get the United States out of the combat in Iraq, and into the support, training, and equipping business, as soon as possible.

(ed. Translation - I don't have backbone enough to press for victory and the honoring of our moral obligations to the people of Iraq...AND...I'm up for re-election next year)

How would that work?

(ed. as well as it did in 1975 - see "White Flag" of surrender)

• Create the conditions that could allow for a drawdown of combat forces by March of 2008 (not a set deadline) so that those who remain could:

>> Protect U.S. and coalition personnel and infrastructure

>> Train, equip, and advise Iraqi forces

>> Conduct targeted counterterrorism operations

>> Conduct search and rescue missions

>> Conduct rapid reaction and special operations

• Maintain a long-term, but more limited presence in Iraq to support a short-term redeployment of combat forces to stabilize Baghdad, complemented by a political, economic, and diplomatic strategy.

• Support the comprehensive set of recommendations of the Iraq Study Group – from establishing milestones to evaluate Iraqi progress, to engaging in diplomatic discussions with all of Iraq’s neighbors.

• Cosponsored by Senators: Salazar, Alexander, Pryor, Domenici, Bennett, Casey, Gregg, Lincoln, Sununu, and Collins.

Pete Domenici

My response...

Sen. Domenici,

My disappointment with your co-sponsorship of the "Iraq Capitulation Act of 2007" cannot be overstated. As a Vietnam Veteran, I had hoped never again to suffer the humiliation visited upon our nation by politicians in 1973.

Hopefully someone with backbone enough to stand by our commitments and moral obligations to the people of Iraq will elect to challenge you for your Senate seat.

He or she will have my support, both political and financial.

Disgustedly,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: