SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why America’s Pullout From Vietnam Worked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Why America’s Pullout From Vietnam Worked Reply with quote

Of all the misguided nonsense from the left I've read about Viet Nam, this effort at revisionist history and minimizing the absolute horror that fell on the Vietnamese people after we were forced to abandon them in their time of need leaves me speechless.

I can think of a few million people that would disagree with Hirsch, if they were still alive.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When America pulled out of Viet Nam many members of my wife's family were sent to re-education camps, where they suffered greatly. My sister-in-law's husband died in the camps (malnutrition, abuse, beatings and disease).

As for the pullout working. That's total bull****.

Another of my wife's sisters, who survived the camps, says she hated the experience. She was a teenager then. She became a US Citizen this week.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell her congratulations and God Bless her BJ.
That's outstanding. Man she had to endure some things Americans have no concept of but she survived. America has no better citizens than the ones who overcome the utmost in adversity to get here and become part of the great experiment that is America.

As for that article, words fail me.

Dusty
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trouble thinking of what to say about this article too, Dusty. At least, that I would permit to be said here.

Kerry's comments recently were unbelievably dumb. Hirsh's surpass Kerry's, I believe.

What happened after we left Viet Nam is well chronicled and written down for history. Survivors are spread out across the globe and all Hirsch can ackowledge is that some died in the China Sea, with no mention of the Cambodian Killing Fields, Vietnamese re-education camps or the systematic murder of the Hmong today?

Even for a liberal, this is unbelievable and downright scary that many will buy into it.
Stevie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buffalojack - great news about your SIL ! tell her 'welcome to being an
American' !

maybe she / you should write a book about it? let people know the truth
about what happened to people in the camps?
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal immigration...........Why does it have to take so long?
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie wrote:
American' !

She'll never write a book about it. She doesn't even want to bring up the subject. Probably too many painful memories.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalojack, I have tried for some time now to get the Vietnamese near me to relate their stories. One spoke to me about it, vaguely, saying only "it was a very bad time."

I can't say I blame them, though. What they were forced to endure is something I'd rather forget too, if it had happened to me.

Saddest part is that their stories are exactly what the leftists need to hear, if we could ever get them to listen.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why America’s Pullout From Vietnam Worked"

No, it didnt! According to Va. Senator James Webb. (Article written in 2000)

Quote:
History is an elusive chimera, shaped and recorded by the winning side. Nowhere in recent times has this proved more true than in the periodic commemorations of the Vietnam War, as we are seeing once again with the 25th anniversary of the fall of Saigon.

In Vietnam, the propaganda machines must work full time to convince an increasingly restless population that the communist war effort was uniquely nationalist and "pure," and that the rigid disciplines that allowed Hanoi to prevail in war still have validity as the future threatens to pass them by.
Here at home, a quiet but intense debate has raged over our involvement, with the forum largely controlled by the media and academia, two of the most staunchly antiwar communities during the conflict (a third being Hollywood). All of these groups have a large stake in having the war remembered as both unnecessary and unwinnable.

Simplistic, cartoonish mythologies accompany both the communist and antiwar versions of the war, no doubt bringing solace to those who were on the right side of its outcome. It is easier to understand why our former enemies persist in such notions than it is to comprehend why so many of our own best and brightest still cling to the illusion that allowing -- or in some cases assisting -- a Stalinist takeover in South Vietnam was an honorable enterprise. The communists paid a heavy price for this victory, and it is natural that they should continue to rejoice in it. What is not natural is that our own commentators, now provided with so much evidence to measure results, should abet the rewriting of history.

Where did this Marine vietnam veteran lose his way?

Anyway, you can read the whole article here;
http://www.jameswebb.com/articles/wallstjrnl/vietvictors.htm
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess, baldeagle, is just normal everyday BDS. Webb was a McCain supporter in 2000 and many felt McCain was unfairly attacked by Bush.

That's a poor excuse for selling out the Troops,

No Ordinary War; No Ordinary Hero

It seems after McCain lost to Bush, his articles gradually moved away from his previous supportive stance to one of opposition.

If what I'm thinking is correct, and admittedly, I'm no Psychologist, it tells me just how destructive BDS can be.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie wrote:
American' !

I agree. At least she should post something on the web that we can link to from various forums so that people can learn the truth and not have to rely on the MSM.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Stevie wrote:
American' !

She'll never write a book about it. She doesn't even want to bring up the subject. Probably too many painful memories.

I understand. Someone needs to write about it though. It's a story that needs to be told.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Why America’s Pullout From Vietnam Worked Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Of all the misguided nonsense from the left I've read about Viet Nam, this effort at revisionist history and minimizing the absolute horror that fell on the Vietnamese people after we were forced to abandon them in their time of need leaves me speechless.

I can think of a few million people that would disagree with Hirsch, if they were still alive.

The American pullout didn't work for our former alllies, but it did work in the short run for America because of the way it was handled.

First, American forces weakened the Viet Cong so that fewer American troops were needed, except near the DMZ. The invasion of Cambodia further limited the enemy's ability to attack our remaining forces. I left just before Cambodia, but some who I talked to who left afterwards said there was reduced enemy action where I was at LZ English.

Second, the South Vietnamese army was strengthened so that it could handle more of the fighting. By early 1972, the ARVNs were able to handle a major offensive with American support primarily coming from air and artillery rather than infantry.

Third, a negotiated settlement was reached in which the North Vietnamese recognized the South Vietnamese government's control of the south. The treaty wasn't worth any more than American treaties with the Indians, but it did allow safe American withdrawal and a short term victory -- the only American goal was to keep North Vietnam from conquering the South.
-- Mark Twain
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
My guess, baldeagle, is just normal everyday BDS. Webb was a McCain supporter in 2000 and many felt McCain was unfairly attacked by Bush.

That's a poor excuse for selling out the Troops,

No Ordinary War; No Ordinary Hero

It seems after McCain lost to Bush, his articles gradually moved away from his previous supportive stance to one of opposition.

If what I'm thinking is correct, and admittedly, I'm no Psychologist, it tells me just how destructive BDS can be.

You must be right....nothing else could possibly explain BDS in a Reaganite? AND We need to be grateful that Bush won that primary!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: