SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote to cut off S Vietnam in 1975

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaffleFlipper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Vote to cut off S Vietnam in 1975 Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find out how each Senator and Representative voted in that infamous vote? I can't seem to find it. I' really appreciate it.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm looking, here's a current take on the result of that 'vote'...(we're pretty sure we know which way the schwimmer and pals voted)

Komrad Kronkite and "The American left helped seal the deal on yet another dark chapter of brother abandoning brother into the outrageous public celebrations of human hatred immortalized by the Khmer Rouge." and the re-education camps in Vietnam resulting in millions dead.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/03/the_current_meaning_of_vietnam.html
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent commentary Deuce...thanks for the link
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: vote to cut off S Vietnam in 1975 Reply with quote

WaffleFlipper wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find out how each Senator and Representative voted in that infamous vote? I can't seem to find it. I' really appreciate it.

I spent way too much time at the thomas.loc.gov site a few days ago. You can search back to about 1973 to review data on any Bill. I swear I looked thru a years worth of legislation, (I believe the vote in the Senate may have been in April???) and came up empty. Perhaps it was hidden in one of the myriad of Appropriations bills in the HOuse??? I'm with you...I'd really like to know as well. Perhaps out of Guilt, and sorrow for the bloodshed they caused, some database cleansing has ensued to protect the names of the guilty.

For now I'm brick wall stymied.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When all else fails, go back to the basics!!

I think that the answer could be found in at least two places, back issues of magazines and newspapers in print during that time frame.

At the moment, I can not recall what the books are called, but they are loaded with information about what topics were covered by which magazines and etc during each year.

Reader's reference or something like that, manually operated search engines could be another nickname to tag them with.

They were issued on a regular basis covering that year's then current printed information.

And they should be in a library in any regional city of over 50K population. I know that they are in Abilene TX, 100K plus population.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: vote to cut off S Vietnam in 1975 Reply with quote

WaffleFlipper wrote:

Quote:
If you want a good Vietnam analogy, look to electoral politics. The 1974 midterm congressional elections demonstrated the power of the left wing of the Democratic party as antiwar congressional candidates swept into power. The Democrats, already in the majority, took 43 Republican seats, some of them in solid GOP districts. One of the last acts of the emboldened 93rd Congress was the Foreign Assistance Act of 1974, which cut aid to South Vietnam and left the Paris peace agreement unenforceable. The House passed the bill after Senate action on December 11, 1974. Exactly one week later, North Vietnamese leaders convened in Hanoi to formulate their final attack plan. By the end of April, 1975, South Vietnam was in its death throes, and the last evacuees were being lifted off the roof of the American Embassy in Saigon.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22798&highlight=funding

Maybe this will help you.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further search on the Thomas gov site for the Foreign Assistance Act of 1974 turned up this below.

Quote:
28. H.R.17234 : A bill to amend the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961.
Sponsor: Rep Morgan, Thomas E. [PA-22] (introduced 10/10/1974) Cosponsors (9)
Committees: House Foreign Affairs
House Reports: 093-1471093-1471093-1
Latest Major Action: 12/11/1974 Passed/agreed to in House. Status: Measure passed House, amended, roll call #674 (201-190).

And the 9 cosponsors are the following below:

Quote:
COSPONSORS(9), ALPHABETICAL [followed by Cosponsors withdrawn]: (Sort: by date)
Rep Biester, Edward G., Jr. [PA-8] - 1/3/1973 Rep Bingham, Jonathan B. [NY-22] - 1/3/1973
Rep Fascell, Dante B. [FL-15] - 1/3/1973 Rep Frelinghuysen, Peter H. B. [NJ-5] - 1/3/1973
Rep Hamilton, Lee H. [IN-9] - 1/3/1973 Rep Whalen, Charles W., Jr. [OH-3] - 1/3/1973
Rep Winn, Larry, Jr. [KS-3] - 1/3/1973 Rep Wolff, Lester L. [NY-6] - 1/3/1973
Rep Zablocki, Clement J. [WI-4] - 1/3/1973

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: