SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoke those Cigarettes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Smoke those Cigarettes... Reply with quote

OK. I'm still smoking. I went up to Sam's to get my bi-monthly tobacco fix. As is getting to be normal these days, I had to wait for this chubby, swarthy guy who's first language obviously wasn't English to complete his transaction. Over 100 cartons of cigarettes. But the kicker was, he paid for it in $20 bills. Just observing, there was three piles of $500 on the counter plus the remainder. Probably about $1800 in all sitting on that counter. The guy has a commercial ID card, so he's not paying taxes on it. He's probably running a convience store or something. I see these guys up there all the time buying smokes, but this was the first time I've seen someone paying cash. Ususally it's a check or card like everyone else. I saw something on TV some months ago about quick money being made on cigarettes, but the scam eludes me. Does anyone know how this works, or am I just being paranoid. Oh, and everytime I see this sort of transaction, it's always for something over 100 cartons. Question

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple guys in jersey i see now and then pickin up cigs for people
guessin they make 5-10 bucks on each one every couple of weeks
so pretty good extra cash for a road trip
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know Sam's (Club?) had that good a price but they do have a tax stamp. It makes a difference for a small retailer who doesn't want the cost or hassle of direct distribution. You better believe the state has mystery shoppers checking stamps.

A carton of smokes in Az is $30+ (name brands are $40+). I buy untaxed smokes from tribal (SmartSmoker.com) reservations for $11. I also have some home grown (NativeSeed.org) though I haven't mastered curing. Were I to go commercial with it I'd have big tobacco on me as well as the government. I was buying American Euro-market brands at similar prices but when Phillip Morris couldn't legally stopp them they sabotaged shipments and destroyed them with 3rd party torts.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Didn't know Sam's (Club?) had that good a price but they do have a tax stamp. It makes a difference for a small retailer who doesn't want the cost or hassle of direct distribution. You better believe the state has mystery shoppers checking stamps.

A carton of smokes in Az is $30+ (name brands are $40+). I buy untaxed smokes from tribal (SmartSmoker.com) reservations for $11. I also have some home grown (NativeSeed.org) though I haven't mastered curing. Were I to go commercial with it I'd have big tobacco on me as well as the government. I was buying American Euro-market brands at similar prices but when Phillip Morris couldn't legally stopp them they sabotaged shipments and destroyed them with 3rd party torts.

All this talk of cigarettes makes me want a smoke! grrr, Still not smoking. Last cig was June 6, 2006. It is hard though, especially when I smell the smoke in the air. Yummy.

The cost of cig's are a poor tax as well in my opinion. Really hurts the poor and it has nothing to do with social engineering and everything to do with fattening the government coffers and more power over the people.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what angle you are seeing in IL, but down here in the South in the vicinity of I95 and the tax free state of DL... it's all about the taxes.

The busiest pub in my town has been denied the right to sell tobacco after having been caught three times for selling Cig's bought in Dover with no tax or tax stamp.

Many years ago there was a expose on T.V. demonstrating how truck drivers had a large black market when driving far North from the deep South. The thing was to buy as many cig's as there was room in the 18 wheeler to hold, then sell them far North where the profit was something like 30% right off the bat.

I think Ted Kennedy's father might have helped refine concept.

I'm pretty sure there is still cigarette smuggling on the Canadian border, it's huge business in Southern Italy.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. It's a tax thing I believe. The thing is that you don't have to smuggle across national borders or even state borders to make a buck. In Peoria, a carton of taxed Marlboros is about $34 at Sams, but Cook County (Chicago) runs a lot higher. So one would think that there would be a profit to be made smuggling to Chicago from downstate. They would eventually have to pay the local freight just to keep in business.

I've seen the commercial folks shopping Sams for years, but it's just in the last couple of years that I've seen the really heavy sales of cigarettes.
I know that when I go to Ft. Campbell on I-24, that on the return trip there is a highway sign just into Illinois with a warning about smuggling cigarettes. I haven't gotten much more than a glance at it because of traffic, but I keep looking.

Anyhow, I saw something about it some time back about funding for Mosques but I can't nail it down.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weren't they buying down south cheap and selling up in Canada?
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: