SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abandon Iraq and see a Vietnam horror show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Abandon Iraq and see a Vietnam horror show Reply with quote

By the co-author of the June 7, 2007 NYT op-ed, Defeat's Killing Fields, William Shawcross gives us his opinion of why we need to maintain our presence in Iraq.

In part,

Quote:
Not everybody would regard it as a badge of honour to be cited favourably by President Bush in a speech about Iraq, but it happened to me last week when Bush warned that the consequences of leaving Iraq precipitously could be a bloodbath even worse than happened in Indochina after the American defeat in 1975. Alas, I think he is right.

Iraq has certainly not gone the way that I and other supporters of the overthrow of Saddam Hussein had hoped. Some British commentators argue for abandoning Iraq: the consequences, I believe, would be infinitely more horrible than the horrors we see today.

The suggestion ignores the fact that for Islamic extremists, and especially Al-Qaeda, the war to subjugate the West is indivisible. Osama Bin Laden has said that Iraq is the front line. An Al-Qaeda victory in Iraq will strengthen the movement everywhere.

Of note, since Shawcross was solidly opposed at one time to our involvement in Viet Nam,

Quote:
I have always thought that those of us who opposed the American war in Indochina should be extremely humble in the face of the appalling aftermath.

The Sunday Times (UK)
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Horowitz often talks about the blood he has on his hands.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Iraq, which would be a Democrat Surrender after a victorious surge, not an "American Defeat", when America pulled out of Vietnam in 1975 it was a Democrat Surrender, not an 'American Defeat'. The triuvirate of Pink Academe, Pink Media, and Pink Hollywood ran the country then, and is trying to run the country now! That is definitely a similarity with the Vietnam War that may plague us for another 30 years if sanity can't prevail.
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to bring sanity back, everyone that feels the same needs to standup, come together & launch on the anti-American crowd with everything we got. And I do mean rock 'em back on their heels hard then hit 'em again & again & again. For 42 yrs now, these clowns have had free rein in this country. And in all honesty, if it hadn't been for sKerry poking his head up from that gopherhole state of MA & the SwiftVets taking him on, not much of anything that can change the course of the Left would be occurring right now. IMHO of course.

A lot small unit actions as you may well know, can greatly influence the outcome of war. As of this moment, a small band of America loving, troop supporting people are occupying turf once held by the moonbats at the Main Gate & surrounding area of FT Monmouth, NJ. They do it rain or shine without fail every Saturday morning when the moonbats re-appear & try to stage their lil circus act.

There are other places around the country that are finally starting to take notice too. Their afraid to act but they are noticing. Up at FT Worth (No, I wasn't there but would have if work hadn't got in my way) 25 Eagles showed up at the Republican Straw Poll. Out numbered by a crowd of 500(?), I'm betting $5 that the moonbats took it hard to see that there are now people in Texas that won't put up with their antics.

At I-10 & US 59 in Houston, we got Code Pink putting on their show from the EB I-10 overpass during evening rush hour. I reconned the location & have decided that if their crazy enough to be on that overpass during high traffic then they are extremely pooched upstairs. So I'm tinkering with a couple of ideas to safely counter demonstrate them.

Just showing up as one person often times is enough to shake 'em up. There is a man over in Lafayette that rocked 'em royally just by showing up everytime the moonbats appear over there. He finally got exposure on the local TV stations & people began showing up to help him.

The point here is, get out & get involved, do anything you can within the limits of your personal safety & rock 'em back on their heels. If your not able to participate, log on & lend moral support to the cause. Because one day, these moonbat crowds are going to be in for the surprise of a lifetime.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the US to maintain a presense,
and support the Iraqi gov't, with
combat advisors,
training,
air.naval force,
etc,

does not imply
US troops on the ground.

if US casualties went to zero,
I think a lot of things would change
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um....greasepaint? If combat advisor's are on the ground? Then to me that says we have US troops on the ground & involved. If we have any kind of support, air, naval or otherwise on scene? We have US troops involved & plenty of 'em would be on the ground. If an aircraft has to land for maintainence & repairs, that requires our trained men & women to perform the job function. Right?

Someone trained in aerial survellience interpretation will have to be on the ground to analyze & diseminate the data or info gathered from the photography. Others would be needed to analyze other data as well. In the early stages of Vietnam for instance, the US lost a number of advisors to small arms fire & artillery. Does this imply that our men & women would be "expendable"?

What makes you think that we'd incur "zero losses"?

I'm not asking in a dis-respectful manner, just asking you to qualify your line of thinking.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'95B,
let me restate my position.

I suggest...geting the US soldier off the street,
to the maximum extent possible.
(even if that leaves uncovered areas)

to do so would have the advantages of...

depriving(or reducing) the enemy of their
greatest comfort --> dead GIs

forcing Iraq to step up to the plate
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...95B,
Wow...
Quote:
And in all honesty, if it hadn't been for sKerry poking his head up from that gopherhole state of MA & the SwiftVets taking him on, not much of anything that can change the course of the Left would be occurring right now.

So what you're saying is that the gift that keeps on giving, sKerry is owed a [small] debt of gratitude for giving the SwiftVets the opportunity to kick is sorry a$$ back down to the state that brung him! Without that opportunity a lot of the rest of us, who eternally shall be indebted to our Swiftie brethren, would still be silent. I like that. I really like that! It shows that it's clearly time to buy a Harley....Time to check out the stock again.
thanks,
Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: