SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gelato, Dessert Fit for a Goat Herder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Gelato, Dessert Fit for a Goat Herder Reply with quote

Gelato, Dessert Fit for a Goat Herder

Recently while out on a date, the beautiful lady I had the pleasure to be with introduced me to Italian Gelato. She explained it was the Italian version of ice cream. Being the smart aleck I tend to be on first dates, I asked how it was possible Italians make Ice Cream when only 10 cows exist in Italy. She didn’t like that comment and further resented my query to the owner, asking if goat’s milk was used in the process of making it. I can be allergic to goat’s milk, right? Sigh, she didn’t like that either.

As a young boy, my sicilian grandmother explained the poverty of southern Italy by way of their culinary dishes and bazaar trader’s salesmanship. In the south, Italians crush tomatoes and create a tomato paste for their dishes, because they cannot afford the butter and cream from cattle, whereas in the more prosperous northern areas, only cream sauces are served. Tomatoes are never crushed in the north, where they are diced and served as a garnish. She further explained how southern Italians are great salesmen and women. They are forced to become masters of selling nothing for something. The masterful bazaar trader pushing his goods of no value for something. She said always watch for the presentation. It holds all the clues for the insightful mind.

Looking at the Gelato stand, it had the better than ice cream, yet lower fat sign. Made fresh daily and on and on. Then looking at the product in the tub, there was a specific way in which the top layer had a wavy churn applied by hand. “There is something wrong with this Italian Ice Cream, that gives rise to the way in which it is presented in the tub”, I remarked as she rolled her eyes and let out a sigh. Later I discovered the frozen milk is made without cream and this creates an unappealing consistency, thus the waves.

More than one person has proclaimed their love and preference for this milky concoction and all that I can say is try some Blue Bell from the ice cream parlor. If your preference is still frozen milk, then we are dealing with a denial issue. Let’s be truthful and state the obvious. Gelato is nothing more than a cream less, goat’s milk concoction meant for people watching their weight. Let us never confuse this less fat than Blue Bell frozen milk with great tasting delicious frozen ice cream. It is after all a dessert fit for the goat herder, not people living in a country as wealthy as ours.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an age before pastuerized milk and refined sugar it wasn't bad.

Impressed your date did ya?

-Wlm Shakespeare
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
In an age before pastuerized milk and refined sugar it wasn't bad.

Impressed your date did ya?

Aye,

Sometimes, I feel my picture should be displayed on a Wheaties box.

uggghhh, hehe
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather be on a Wheaties box than a milk carton, huh?
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMOS wrote:
Rather be on a Wheaties box than a milk carton, huh?

Definately
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've had very good gelato that was very, very creamy, etc.
Also, some bizzare flavors..like Barolo (wine). Rosewater, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: