SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy Veterans Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonhyo
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Happy Veterans Day Reply with quote

Today, as I was coming out of Walmart, I met three wonderful men. They were Marine Veterans of World War II. When I put my pitiful donation into their pot, they all said "Thank You". I looked at them, apologized for the pittance and said that it was I who should say thank you, and I did, many times. I ended up spending the best hour in a long time. We talked about their service, their grandchildren and the war in Iraq. One of the Veterans , after some prodding from me, told me that he had signed up for four years, and spent either 32 or 33 months, in battle with, the Japanese, then after Hiroshima, he went on to the Cold War, and he never got time off except when he was injured three times. He said that he had been blown up, he showed me the remnants of shrapnel in his face, the damage to his hand, and said he couldn't show me the rest.I can't tell you how close I was to asking him about why he didn't get out with three injuries. One of the Veterans had served in Europe, he said that he had never been injured, very much . The last Veteran was very quiet, and just smiled a lot. The first Veteran, told me that he had four grandsons serving in the military, a Marine in Iraq, two were in the Navy on submarines, and I am not sure what he said about the fourth. I asked him how he felt about his grandson in Iraq, he of course said that he wished him home, but that they both thought that the job needed to be finished. Can't tell you how much I enjoyed visiting with these Gentlemen today, and would have stayed longer , but they insisted on standing and I could tell that they were getting tired. I wish I could celebrate Veterans Day every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And speaking of Marines....

Happy 232nd birthday, which was definitely less than the combined age of those three Leathernecks.

Great story, wonhyo.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who served. May God Bless each and every one of you.
Glad you got to spend that hour wonhyo. That's what I call 'quality time'.

Dusty
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to shoot the bull with'm, they're getting scarce. My old buddy Huey helped kill 80,000 japs when they needed it. I will always find time to put on my best duds and show up to offer my condolances for my friends. We owe them so much...BTW..I really enjoy speaking English. Very Happy
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meet a 93 year old friend for coffee or lunch every week. He joined the Navy in 1931 and retired in 1956. He was a hospital corpsman with the Marines in the South Pacific during WWII and during Korea. He is one of my heroes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: