SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evel Knievel dies at the age of 69

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Evel Knievel dies at the age of 69 Reply with quote

I really liked him!
Quote:
In an interview in May last year, Knievel said: "No king or prince has lived a better life. You're looking at a guy who's really done it all. There are things I wish I had done better, not only for me but for the ones I loved."

Immortalised in Washington's Smithsonian Institution as "America's Legendary Daredevil," Knievel was best known for the Snake River Canyon jump and a spectacular crash at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

"They started out watching me bust my ass, and I became part of their lives," Knievel once said. "People wanted to associate with a winner, not a loser. They wanted to associate with someone who kept trying to be a winner."
The Scotsman

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, don't anyone have a cow. Robert "Evel" Knievel a veteran of the US Army was born & raised in Butte, MT not all that far from my hometown. Considered wild & wooly by most after he got out of the Army, Bob's heart was always in the right place. He loved the USA & lot's of people made fun of his USA stars & stripes get ups. The one thing he never failed to do was standup for the honor of our fighting men Or our country where-ever they served.

He visited my mothers cafe regularly, had a number of relatives in the area. To me, Bob was one hell of a man even if he did do crazy things on a Harley-Davidson motorbike.

Rest in Peace Bob

*peace*
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a gladiator and will be missed.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evel Knievel was America’s first x-gammier, before their ever was x-games. My buddies and I enjoyed watching his daredevil stunts. Being influenced by Evel, when I turned 16 I bought my first motorcycle a brand new 1972 Kawasaki 175cc dirt bike, the bike was barely street legal, so I could get to the bike trails from my home. I let my buddies all ride my bike; they were hooked, and went out and got their own bikes. All the places we use to ride are now subdivisions, and shopping malls. These were great times, the times old men remonis about, broken bones, and all. Even now when my left wrist aches in the cold, the memories more then offset any discomfort.

The thought of my Grandpa & Evel having a great chat about now, pleases me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evel_Knievel#Conversion_to_Christianity

Conversion to Christianity
On April 1, 2007, Knievel announced to a worldwide audience that he "believed in Jesus Christ" for the first time. He professed his personal faith in Christ to more than 4,000 people who gathered inside the Crystal Cathedral for Palm Sunday services in Orange County, California, and to millions via an Hour of Power telecast of the service to over 100 countries.[7]

Knievel told how he had refused for 68 years to convert to Christianity because he didn’t want to surrender his lifestyle of "the gold and the gambling and the booze and the women." He explained his conversion experience by saying, "All of a sudden, I just believed in Jesus Christ. I did, I believed in him!"[8] Knievel said he knew people were praying for him, including his daughter's church, his ex-wife's church, and the hundreds of people who wrote letters urging him to believe.

Knievel recounted how he "rose up in bed and, I was by myself, and I said, 'Devil, Devil, you bastard you, get away from me. I cast you out of my life….' I just got on my knees and prayed that God would put his arms around me and never, ever, ever let me go."[9] At his request, he was baptized before the congregation and TV cameras by Dr. Robert H. Schuller, Founding Pastor of the Crystal Cathedral. Christianity Today reported that "...Knievel's testimony triggered mass baptisms at the Crystal Cathedral."[9]

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had the right idea. Too much fun.
I got a new bike in April and it has 30k miles already.
It's the only fun I have and all that after breaking my neck, losing a kidney, all titanium in my left leg, and seven ribs busted up and in a coma for 6 weeks. Rehab still since 8/06.
My third wreck and I doubt i'll ever stop ridin.
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powsmias wrote:
He had the right idea. Too much fun.
I got a new bike in April and it has 30k miles already.
It's the only fun I have and all that after breaking my neck, losing a kidney, all titanium in my left leg, and seven ribs busted up and in a coma for 6 weeks. Rehab still since 8/06.
My third wreck and I doubt i'll ever stop ridin.

eddie the lock? you're just too tough for me. Take care bro, glad your back on wheels again.

Last edited by streetsweeper95B on Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Knievel. You were always certain that it was for real.
He will be missed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: