SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Kerry can take a hit and come back fighting"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: "Kerry can take a hit and come back fighting" Reply with quote

I'm always on the lookout for articles illuminating the historical record and perspectives relating to the SVPT campaign. I was amused to stumble into the following commentary by Douglas Brinkley written just prior to Kerry's defeat and, according to not a few supporters, folding like a cheap cardtable.

Next time you see Mr. Brinkley's perspicacity and grasp of reality being trumpeted, trot this article out and watch the fur fly...

Quote:
Kerry can take a hit and come back fighting
By Douglas Brinkley
Financial Times
Published: Nov 01, 2004

Mr Kerry is a hare in a tortoise's body. His determination to win (call it "Yankee tenacity") is all-encompassing. Nobody in US politics can endure as many body blows without suffering psychological dents. He is weatherproof, with stainless-steel nerves that have helped him grow a thick shell. Occasionally I have heard reporters liken Mr Kerry's fightback tendencies with Muhammad Ali-style "rope-a-doping". The analogy is too tame. Mr Kerry welcomes abuse. He goads his opponents to come out in the open and go for his jugular. They always do. They rise to the bait. When a group of Swift Boat vets attacked Mr Kerry's record in August he said nothing for two weeks. Why not swing back immediately? That is not his style. A defensive player by nature, Kerry waited until The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post exposed his critics as liars and frauds. Ultimately, the Swift Boat attacks only helped Mr Kerry solidify his base.

<snip>

Politics is an endurance sport and Mr Kerry is a seasoned practitioner. Like Mr Bush, he refuses to surrender - even if it means arguing the election all the way to the Supreme Court. With a combination of cunning, charm, intelligence and an unfathomable work ethic he plods onward. Retreat is a concept he does not know...

So if the election is close and the lawyers are called in, do not expect Mr Kerry to capitulate or roll over like Al Gore did in 2000. He will fight for the White House until the last dog dies and he is still standing. Put simply: stoical New Englanders do not quit. Forget the Alamo, which was lost. Boston patriots have a long history of truly slaying giants.

The writer is professor of history at the University of New Orleans and author of Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War (William Morrow)

Financial Times - cont'd

note: article retrieval may require free registration

HT:World Net Daily

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... and an unfathomable work ethic ...

I'd agree with that statement. Has anyone actually ever seen him do any work? I seriously doubt the idiot could change a light bulb on his own.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find, #1..............give me a chuckle on a Monday morning while recovering from an eye-watering, sneezing virus.
Work ethic???????? If the man has ever hit a lick of anything resembling work, I have not been made aware of it. Unless you consider wind surfing and snowboarding (and gigoloing - is that a word?) to be hard labor.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Mr Brinkly on c-spann from time to time speak about Mr Kerry , man is he in never never land !

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my junior senator is a regular Timex watch.

"Takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

And my senior senator is waterproof.

Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: