SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"And Then There Were Eight"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: "And Then There Were Eight" Reply with quote

Interesting NY Sun analysis winnows the field down to eight...and eliminates 3 of the remaining 5 GOP contenders in that field from a "who would the dems least like to face" approach. I kinda agree...see watcha think...

Quote:
And Then There Were Eight
By NICHOLAS WAPSHOTT
January 2, 2008

<snip>

Which brings us to two grumpy old men. It is generally thought that Fred Thompson has lost the GOP candidacy through his somnambulant approach to the race, and that may well turn out to be the case. It is best to run for the presidency, not amble towards it. but from the Democratic point of view, Mr. Thompson is a formidable opponent. His high public profile gives him enormous name recognition and personal appeal; his low profile so far in the race means he still has an interesting story to tell. And he has a mountain of cash with which to counter the expected losses in Iowa and New Hampshire.

John McCain, too, is a hard nut for the Democrats to crack. He has been running for the presidency for so long that, like Mrs. Clinton, there are few surprises left to expose. His maverick personality and failure to pander over everything from immigration and campaign finance to ethanol and the surge make him difficult to paint as an extremist, yet he remains a solid conservative.

Independent voters like him, as do conservative Democrats who are not happy with their party's shortlist of candidates. What is more, he is the only Republican candidate, including Mr. Giuliani, whom polls persistently say can trounce Mrs. Clinton. Which is what this election may turn out to be all about.

NY Sun
- cont'd
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Was listening to guest host Orson Scott Card on the Rusty Humphries show last night and he stated the most important quality for president in this election is how that person will handle the war on terror while the second most important quality is character. He defined character through the lens of fidelity in marriage and could not have agreed more.

He didn't paint a pretty picture of Thompson leaving his first wife who put him through law school for the younger trophy wife. He was really down on Rudy, although he said he agreed with most of his policy stands. He talked about McCain leaving his first wife for another after she was in a bad car wreck. Mid 70's she had a wreck and in 1980 remarried I believe.

He spoke highly of Romney and his marriage. He said good things about Edwards marriage even though there have been past rumors, they are just that, rumors.

Really enjoyed listening to the guy. He is a Democrat and is in favor of amnesty for illegals, yet said he voted for Bush in 2004 and wish he could run for a third term. He said the Taliban left has control of the Democrat party and until they are booted, he will be voting Republican.

Orson Scott Card is one of those guys that, you know hes the smartest in the room when he starts talking, yet doesn't talk down to anyone or have an elitist attitude. Or at least that is the way he came across to me. I would not be surprised if he ends up with a nationally syndicated radio show.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a Freddite and am fairly convinced that any questions of "character" (in the interest of comity leaving your "trophy wife" characterization alone) are minute and non-starters. While I wish divorce were not a part of his background, fathering a new family at his age says something I think.

Were I to vote strictly on a "family values" basis, Romney would be a shoo-in, but I just don't think his track record on conservative positions is as solid as Thompson's.

That being said, I'd vote for either one willingly.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, tend to favor Fred right now, as he seems to be more down to earth common sensical than the rest. But, I could live with Rudy, McCain, or Romney. I haven't agreed with GW all the time, either.
That said, I will arise from my death bed if necessary to go cast my ballot against whichever of the Dems they decide to run. The thought of a Hillary presidency, or Obama, or Edwards just plain scares the bejeebus out of me. We survived 8 years of Slick Willie, but frankly I'm leery of any of those three inre to the future of my country.
I could even bring myself to vote for Paul in preference to either of those three.

edit; Forgot to say I ain't too fond of Huckleberry, either. We don't need another "surprise" from Hope.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
I'm still a Freddite and am fairly convinced that any questions of "character" (in the interest of comity leaving your "trophy wife" characterization alone) are minute and non-starters. While I wish divorce were not a part of his background, fathering a new family at his age says something I think.

Were I to vote strictly on a "family values" basis, Romney would be a shoo-in, but I just don't think his track record on conservative positions is as solid as Thompson's.

That being said, I'd vote for either one willingly.

I still support Fred and Trophy should have been quoted. Orson's description, not mine.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Limbaugh has a good rundown on the GOP field in his column this week at Townhall. He also favors Fred.
You can reaad it here; http://www.townhall.com/columnists/DavidLimbaugh/2008/01/01/time_to_step_up,_fred
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
I still support Fred and Trophy should have been quoted. Orson's description, not mine.

Sometimes "comity" pays off Wink
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Limbaugh wrote:
But on most issues, he seems reliably conservative and appears to have a solid and strong character. I do believe that with Fred, we know what we are getting.

I guess that about says it all. So what's not to like?

Assuming he survives the early primaries (and, apparently, his campaign coffers will ensure that), all the media attention he can handle will be thrust upon him...quickly making up the distance that his unhurried candidacy has wrought. I don't think "America" really knows Fred Thompson...yet. I believe they'll be happy to make his acquaintance.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Fred fan since way before he announced. Liked him when he was in the Senate the few times I got to hear him talk.
Sure hope he comes out on the top of the pile.
But like it's been said here, I'd get up off my deathbed to vote for anybody who isn't Hillary or Obama.
I have a sneaky suspicion a lot of Americans feel this way. Both Democrat and Republican.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: