SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taranto: "The Church of Global Warmism"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Taranto: "The Church of Global Warmism" Reply with quote

Taranto makes note of Kerry's new-found religion (What? No asterisk?)....

Quote:
BEST OF THE WEB TODAY
by James Taranto
Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Church of Global Warmism

The Business and Media Institute, a division of the conservative Media Research Center, notes that John Kerry appeared on MSNBC yesterday, where he blamed recent tornadoes on global warming:
    [I] don't want to sort of leap into the larger meaning of, you know, inappropriately, but on the other hand, the weather service has told us we are going to have more and more intense storms," Kerry said. "And insurance companies are beginning to look at this issue and understand this is related to the intensity of storms that is related to the warming of the earth. And so it goes to global warming and larger issues that we're not paying attention to. The fact is the hurricanes are more intensive, the storms are more intensive and the rainfall is more intense at certain places at certain times and the weather patterns have changed.
Yet even the New York Times notes that "tornado experts said there was no evidence that the deadly storms were related to global warming or anything other than the clash of contrasting cold and warm air masses that usually precedes such events." The Times also quotes one politician who waxes theological:
    "The wrath of God is the only way I can describe it," Gov. Phil Bredesen of Tennessee said after a helicopter flight to survey the damage. "I'm used to seeing roofs off houses, houses blown over. These houses were down to their foundations, stripped clean."
And blogger Peter Nuhn of American Atheists thumbs his nose at religious believers:
    You know how those in the Religious Right are constantly directing God to strike down those they don't like? . . . The Washington Post reports that 44 persons died [Tuesday] in storms that swept throughout the South, mostly in the states of Tennessee and Arkansas just hours after those states finished voting for Mike Huckabee to be the Republican candidate for President. . . . if I was a Christian, I'd think twice before pressing that little button for Mike in the future primaries.
Does it strike anyone else that there's a parallel here? When there's a natural disaster, global-warmists invoke "climate change" to explain it just as religious believers invoke God. The difference, of course, being that most religious believers will concede that the Lord works in mysterious ways, whereas global warmists insist that what they're doing is "science."

The National Post, meanwhile, reports that Canadian scientist David Suzuki "has called for political leaders to be thrown in jail for ignoring the science behind climate change" (hat tip: Newsbusters.org, another Media Research Center affiliate):
    "What I would challenge you to do is to put a lot of effort into trying to see whether there's a legal way of throwing our so-called leaders into jail because what they're doing is a criminal act," said Dr. Suzuki, a former board member of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.

"It's an intergenerational crime in the face of all the knowledge and science from over 20 years."

The statement elicited rounds of applause.
A spokesman for Suzuki later said he wasn't speaking "literally": "He's not advocating locking people up, but he is pulling his hair out." Still, that global warmism's adherents are entertaining the thought of locking up heretics is yet another indication that it has become a religious movement.

Best of the Web Today
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
Try this link.

Thanks. One of these days the good folks editing Taranto's page will opt for "permalinks" on the publishing date Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: