SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Kerry - A Call To Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: John Kerry - A Call To Service Reply with quote

I just stumbled across copies of Kerry's October 2003 book "introducing" himself to America in his failed presidential bid, "A Call To Service, my vision for a better America."

Since it was a Dollar Store, I paid the dollar to have a copy to go with my other Kerry files.

Knowing how he has a propensity to stretch things, it came as no surprise to me to discover the first prevarication in the 5th paragragh of the preface.

In mentioning how he and McCain sat in a C-135 discussing Viet Nam, he states,
Quote:
"And John knew I had also been a Navy officer, commanding a "swift boat" --a small, fast patrol boat used for counterinsurgency missions -- in the Mekong Delta for two tours of duty."
(emphasis added)

I don't recall discussing this before, but him claiming to have served "two tours" on swiftboats in the Mekong seems to fit right in with other claims that were "seared, seared" into his memory.

Then again, naysayers will have a difficult time arguing he never lied with this one.

Last edited by LewWaters on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know how they were inspired for the song for Gilligan's Island.

Three Hour Tour
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Wonder what they talked about.... Reply with quote

Do you suppose Kerry meant his second tour a few years later wearing the other team's colors?

On the day John McCain and a number of the other POWs were being flown to freedom, I was flying missions over Laos and talking on the radio to the pilots in the flight of "Freedom Birds" bringing them out. I guess I could say John McCain and I flew a mission together that day, according to the logic used by Rassmann to say he "served with John Kerry". Laughing
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't recall hearing anything about his "introductory" book after the Swifties began revealing him.

Still, with him possibly being considered for VP, this claim is a blatant lie in a book he claims to have written and copyrighted to him.

I have scanned the cover and preface on pdf if any desire it for their files. Just email me or IM me with an email.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His "Tours" may refer to "Campaigns". If his 4 months includes 2 Campaigns, he's just 'using the English language' again to pull the wool over the eyes of the masses like his mentor Clinton. The official calendar dates of Campaigns are as published by DOD, for instance:

Vietnam Defense Campaign (Army, Navy USCG): from 1965-03-08 to 1965-12-24
Vietnam Air Offensive, Phase III (USAF): from 1968-04-01 to 1968-10-31
Vietnam Counteroffensive, Phase IV (Army, Navy, USCG): from 1968-04-02 to 1968-06-30
Vietnam Counteroffensive, Phase V (Army, Navy, USCG): from 1968-07-01 to 1968-11-01
Vietnam Air Offensive, Phase IV (USAF): from 1968-11-01 to 1969-02-22
Vietnam Counteroffensive, Phase VI (Army, Navy, USCG): from 1968-11-02 to 1969-02-22

http://www.amervets.com/replacement/vn.htm#cdt
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deuce wrote:
His "Tours" may refer to "Campaigns". If his 4 months includes 2 Campaigns, he's just 'using the English language' again to pull the wool over the eyes of the masses like his mentor Clinton. The official calendar dates of Campaigns are as published by DOD, for instance:

Vietnam Defense Campaign (Army, Navy USCG): from 1965-03-08 to 1965-12-24
Vietnam Air Offensive, Phase III (USAF): from 1968-04-01 to 1968-10-31
Vietnam Counteroffensive, Phase IV (Army, Navy, USCG): from 1968-04-02 to 1968-06-30
Vietnam Counteroffensive, Phase V (Army, Navy, USCG): from 1968-07-01 to 1968-11-01
Vietnam Air Offensive, Phase IV (USAF): from 1968-11-01 to 1969-02-22
Vietnam Counteroffensive, Phase VI (Army, Navy, USCG): from 1968-11-02 to 1969-02-22

http://www.amervets.com/replacement/vn.htm#cdt

I think he's adding his duty on the USS Gridley, floating off the coast for a couple weeks, and counting that as a "tour".

Now, I'm not trying to denigrate the honorable service of the Gridley crew in any way here. But I don't think any of them (other than Kerry) would try to pass it off as a "tour" in Viet Nam.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Hear it from those who served with him on the Gridley Reply with quote

The Kerry Page linked from The USS Gridley website

What follows is an article written for a San Diego paper by Captain J. F. Kelly, who as Commander Kelly was XO of GRIDLEY in the period of 1967 and 1968 when Kerry was aboard.

Living With His Anti-war Past
-----------------------------------

A Commentary

By J. F. Kelly, Jr.

Every candidate for public office probably has some excess baggage to carry around that he'd rather not have. With Senator John Kerry, it's undoubtedly his anti-Vietnam War activism that followed his heroic naval service in Vietnam.......

and this says it all:

There is no question that John Kerry earned his decorations and that he put his life at risk in the service of his country. There is no doubt in my mind, moreover, that he has the intelligence to serve as president. But there is also no doubt in my mind that his anti-war activities while our troops were still fighting, dying and being tortured in filthy Vietnam prisons were despicable.

For that reason, even aside from his anti-defense voting record in the Senate, he is one ex-shipmate that I could never support as commander-in-chief of the armed forces.

...maybe someone needs to send him a copy of "Unfit for Command" and "To Set the Record Straight" and ask whether he still thinks Kerry earned his medals and has the intelligence to serve in any public capacity.

LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps too, he could explain how Kerry served "two tours in swiftboats in the Mekong Delta" in 4 months?
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Exec of the Gridley, I don't know how that gives Kelly any knowledge of Lurch's service aboard Swiftboats. With all due respect to Kelly, he really has no first hand knowledge of Lurch's activities after he left the Gridley, and whether or not he actually earned any rewards during that time.

Has anyone asked Kelly if he's ever read Unfit for Command? Confused
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Ahoy Gridley! Reply with quote

Consider it done. I'll post his reply if I get one.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry's fitrep from the Gridley applauded his service as a Public Relations Officer. On my can that was collateral duty for a junior officer overseeing the cruise book.

-Wlm Shakespeare
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Kerry's fitrep from the Gridley applauded his service as a Public Relations Officer. On my can that was collateral duty for a junior officer overseeing the cruise book.

Yeah, it's hard to believe that the Exec was doing that PR stuff, when there were juniors around. I sure don't mean to denigrate somebody that I know nothing about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: