SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taranto: "No, YOUR Brain Lies to YOU!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Taranto: "No, YOUR Brain Lies to YOU!" Reply with quote

I've heard some unique postulates formulated by the left to somehow explain away the tremendous success of the Swiftee campaign, but THIS makes my synapses hurt...

Quote:
BEST OF THE WEB TODAY
By JAMES TARANTO
June 27, 2008

No, Your Brain Lies to You!

How do people end up believing things that are false, such as that the sun revolves around the Earth or that Barack Obama is a Muslim? In a New York Times op-ed, scientist Sam Wang and science writer Sandra Aamodt explain that it has to do with "the quirky way in which our brains store memories--and mislead us along the way":
    A false statement from a noncredible source that is at first not believed can gain credibility during the months it takes to reprocess memories from short-term hippocampal storage to longer-term cortical storage. As the source is forgotten, the message and its implications gain strength. This could explain why, during the 2004 presidential campaign, it took some weeks for the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth campaign against Senator John Kerry to have an effect on his standing in the polls.
You may remember that a lot of people claimed that the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth were lying. But none of their claims were ever disproved, and T. Boone Pickens still has his million bucks.

Wang and Aamodt, however, seem to have internalized the claim that the Swift Boat Vets were lying. Irony of ironies, they have unwittingly illustrated their own point.

Best of the Web Today
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, my synapses hurt also #1.
Me#1 said
Quote:
Wang and Aamodt, however, seem to have internalized the claim that the Swift Boat Vets were lying. Irony of ironies, they have unwittingly illustrated their own point.

And why I don't hold much regard for psychologists.
Quote:
Even if they do not understand the neuroscience behind source amnesia, campaign strategists can exploit it to spread misinformation. They know that if their message is initially memorable, its impression will persist long after it is debunked. In repeating a falsehood, someone may back it up with an opening line like “I think I read somewhere” or even with a reference to a specific source.

(So, they are saying debunk immediately)

But then, these psycho-babbler experts say that by responding, you only emphasize charges.

Quote:
Psychologists have suggested that legends propagate by striking an emotional chord. In the same way, ideas can spread by emotional selection, rather than by their factual merits, encouraging the persistence of falsehoods about Coke — or about a presidential candidate.

Journalists and campaign workers may think they are acting to counter misinformation by pointing out that it is not true. But by repeating a false rumor, they may inadvertently make it stronger. In its concerted effort to “stop the smears,” the Obama campaign may want to keep this in mind. Rather than emphasize that Mr. Obama is not a Muslim, for instance, it may be more effective to stress that he embraced Christianity as a young man.

So, are they saying Kerry did the right thing by not trying to counter the Swiftvets right away? He claims that his slow response is what did him in (heh).
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: